Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:38 AM

20 posts, read 24,327 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I finally made the big move and after extensively researching Austin and the surrounding areas (something that always seems to be the last thing people do before moving here, hence their unwarranted complaining ) we settled in Georgetown! We love it so much here!!! The kids have made SO MANY friends already. We go into Round Rock almost daily (officially ADDICTED to Rudy's!) and Austin weekly. We also stop by Jarrell frequently (we love the taco joint behind the Flying J!) and have shopped in Salado several times now (BEST FUDGE EVER!!!!).

I just wanted to give a few tips to any potential newcomers that might benefit from our first impressions as newcomers ourselves. First, Texas is HUGE. Getting from point A to point B might look quick and easy on a map, but you could be talking 100 miles easy, so make sure your navigation is up to date and ready to go! But! The speed limits here are AWESOME (on average 75 mph) so you can race to your destination, just do so safely! Second, Texans have never met a stranger. If you need help, ask. If you have a question, ask! If you want a friend, talk to the first person you see and chances are, they will treat you like family. I don't think I've ever met more friendly people! But then again, I'm extremely social so maybe that's just me.

The food here is OUTRAGEOUS. Outrageously good!!! There are so many unique restaurants everywhere, you will never eat at another gross national chain. I don't know why Applebees even exists down here! Just too many options to choose from! You will find BBQ everywhere. Seriously, everywhere. Like if you're not watching where you're going, a BBQ restaurant will smack you in the face. And it is GOOOOOOOOD. Same goes for tacos. The taco is king and I am his loyal subject.

There ARE good schools in Texas. Yes, there are. No really. Just do your research and you will find plethora. Jefe, what is a plethora? Like any other state, there are areas with good schools, and some not so good schools. That is nationwide people. We did our research, you should do the same.

And this brings me to my last point: research. Research, research, research, and then RESEARCH SOME MORE! My husband and I made the trip from WI to TX three times before we decided to move down here. We researched prospective areas and then went and SAW THEM. We were here in August. Guess what? It's HOT. We drove on the highways during rush hour. Not because we had to, but because we wanted to SEE WHAT IT'S LIKE. We KNEW what to expect BEFORE we moved here. This seems to be something people really need to understand. Please RESEARCH and EXPERIENCE Texas and then decide if the move is right for you.

We are so glad we decided Texas was right for us and I hope someday it may be right for you! If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask away and take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:40 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
We were here in August. Guess what? It's HOT.
...before or after August 12th? .

Old 11-29-2016, 02:20 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
...before or after August 12th? .
This is important, because after August 12th it turned back into May. This year had the most bizarre, rainiest, most humid weather of any summer in the nearly 17-years I've lived here.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:54 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
This is important, because after August 12th it turned back into May. This year had the most bizarre, rainiest, most humid weather of any summer in the nearly 17-years I've lived here.
2007 was the wettest/most humid, I think, but not sure how to compare. It was an odd one, too.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:23 PM

170 posts, read 299,270 times
glad you like it here, but it doesn't sound like you really know the "real texas" yet. no offense meant, but just give it a little more time.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:29 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
One thing on every Texan's bucket list should be to hike to the top of Enchanted Rock during a Bluebonnet spring and drink in the depth & beauty of the Hill Country.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:34 PM

172 posts, read 177,571 times
This post is great. Made me laugh. As a lifelong Austinite, I agree with most of it.

You've mentioned BBQ and tacos. Czech and German are also some great Cen-Tex eats you should check out.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
2007 was the wettest/most humid, I think, but not sure how to compare. It was an odd one, too.
This is true, but from what I remember the temperatures were milder so it made the humidity more bearable. I grew up in Southeast Texas (Houston weather) and usually keep up with the daily conditions there. The trend this summer was for Austin's humidity/dew points to be almost the same as that area, and on some days actually WORSE. That is certainly not the norm... I moved to Austin to get away from that climate. On the bright side, my lawn was absolutely gorgeous this year with all the extra moisture.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgerboy View Post
glad you like it here, but it doesn't sound like you really know the "real texas" yet. no offense meant, but just give it a little more time.
Could you please elaborate a little on this? What do you feel is the "real Texas" experience?

Old 11-30-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
This post is great. Made me laugh. As a lifelong Austinite, I agree with most of it.

You've mentioned BBQ and tacos. Czech and German are also some great Cen-Tex eats you should check out.
I noticed there is definitely a strong Czech and German presence here as well, which is so great, because both my husband and I have Czech ancestry and we grew up eating dumplings, breaded pork tenderloin, roasted duck and sauerkraut! Just keep the rye bread and caraway seeds away from me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin