Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

It seems as though every other post in here has some doom and gloom about Austin's future. Apparently, it's too crowded, infrastructure can't handle it, too expensive, too gentrified, becoming more rat racey, more A-types, less laid back feel, more Yankess and Californians, no high paying jobs, PhDs working at shoe stores, more toll roads, it's getting hotter and hotter every year, less diversity....

Have I covered it all? What kind of future does Austin have with this gloomy forecast? I would love to semi-retire in Austin, but is it that difficult?

Also, what's the story with scores of people moving out of Austin, yet it's still one of the top destinations for people?

Where do you guys realistically see Austin in the next decade or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 01:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Same as it ever was.

Well, I'll still be here in a decade -- barring something spectacular.

The bargain we made 15 years ago to buy a smaller house close-in continues to pay off. We are insulated from much of the traffic woes and new amenities are very close to us -- the boardwalk section of the trail, the new library, whatever goes in on the Statesman tract, etc.

Our home equity continues to rise as do our property taxes, at some point we may get priced out of our neighborhood but that is a distant concern. A mix of private and public schools has provided our (very different) kids with an excellent education. Our kids see the Austin of their childhood passing away however and at least one is already planning to attend college out of state and not come back. Our neighborhood is full of STRs and it has really lessened the neighborhood feel. Thankfully, the one on our block is now owner-occupied again with no plans to rent it out.

The institutions and places that are most important to us are all nearby and all are thriving and still feel like "Austin" and "home."

But it is a different mix for everyone. I have work friends who have been driven to tears making the daily commute from 620/2222 and who are planning some big changes in their lives as a result (leaving Austin). I've known people who have moved from RR to SW Austin, for example, to accommodate their kids' education because the drive was too punishing. And I know native Austinites who are now in Lockhart, Smithville, Bastrop, because Austin got too big and too expensive.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:29 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
It's like every other city on this forum.. majority of people who live in a city don't go take their feelings out on an online forum- a handful do but that doesn't represent an entire city. Austin isn't expected to double in size by 2040 because the city isn't attractive to... millions of people. Will some people be priced out of their homes? Sure, but this happens ALL across the country not just Austin. Will traffic be a headache? Sure like most big cities.. but also because of many longtime Austin residents who refuse to move forward with infraustrure because they don't wanna loose the "old" Austin or see their property taxes go up..

If the diversity, jobs, and "people/culture" isn't to your liking theres thousands of other cities that may have what you like. You can't force people to live somewhere to create the perfect balance of diversity.. people live where they feel comfortable and can afford.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:04 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,009 times
What's your timeline, seems like you have been trying to get back to TX for at least a couple years now.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
What's your timeline, seems like you have been trying to get back to TX for at least a couple years now.
Yes and it's right around the corner, thank God. I can't wait.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I have lived in Austin since 1977. And I agree that Austin has lost some of the things that I once liked about it. I'm retired now and have been considering other places to move to, but so far after considering all of the variables, from weather to cost of living, I have not found one other place that I like as much as I like Austin.

If it were not for Austin's bad Cedar Fever season and extremely hot July-August, I'd probably just stay here. I may just stay here anyway and take vacations somewhere else during those two unpleasant seasons.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite
And I know native Austinites who are now in Lockhart, Smithville, Bastrop, because Austin got too big and too expensive.

What about the closer surrounding towns such as Leander, Cedar Park, Round Rock and Pflugerville? How are those faring?

I was always interested in Lakeway, Marble Falls or Barton Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12
- a handful do but that doesn't represent an entire city. Austin isn't expected to double in size by 2040 because the city isn't attractive to... millions of people.

This is why I've always favored Texas cities. They're desirable but what I think will always keep them from being like NYC, LA and SF is that they are just NOT desirable enough for people to turn them into world class hubs. Burgeoning hubs sure? Reflective of cosmopolitan diversity such as in Dallas and Houston, sure, but Alpha cities that attract the very best talent, proly not and that is NOT a bad thing per se because living in the "worldly" cities and dealing with overly competitive A types in a rat race for fool's gold isn't exactly the only thing in life. I appreciate Texas cities for what they offer and to some people it's not enough and so they pack up and move elsewhere or just don't even bother stepping foot in Texas.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
There are over 2 million people living in the Austin area and it keeps growing. If this were a bad place to live I doubt that growth would continue.

It is kind of like looking at reviews for businesses on the internet. There are always lost more negative reviews posted than positive ones, because most happy people just go on about theirs lives, its mostly just the disgruntled ones who bother to post a review.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:29 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It seems as though every other post in here has some doom and gloom about Austin's future. Apparently, it's too crowded, infrastructure can't handle it, too expensive, too gentrified, becoming more rat racey, more A-types, less laid back feel, more Yankess and Californians, no high paying jobs, PhDs working at shoe stores, more toll roads, it's getting hotter and hotter every year, less diversity....

Have I covered it all? What kind of future does Austin have with this gloomy forecast? I would love to semi-retire in Austin, but is it that difficult?

Also, what's the story with scores of people moving out of Austin, yet it's still one of the top destinations for people?

Where do you guys realistically see Austin in the next decade or so?
One thing you're forgetting, a bunch of people on C-D intentionally lie and ***** in some attempt to keep people from moving here.

Quote:
less diversity....
This is flat-out untrue.

Austin has gone from over 60% Anglo white in 1990 to less than 50% in 2010 (Austin is minority-majority). I expect that trend has continued in the past 5 years.

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...ofile_2010.pdf

Quote:
See that thread for my thoughts.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:28 AM

436 posts, read 570,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

Austin has gone from over 60% Anglo white in 1990 to less than 50% in 2010 (Austin is minority-majority). I expect that trend has continued in the past 5 years.
There is a caveat for this. Austin by the numbers is racially mixed, however it is heavily segregated economically and of course racially. We have congregated our poorest and the majority of the hispanic/african american populations into certain regions of the city. Now this is nothing new at all, Austin has always been like this. However gentrification has compounded the problem. You are absolutely right that Austin is technically diverse, however you have to admit that Austin is very segregated and becoming more so as the city changes.

Heck look at the statistics for a few schools around Austin and it can be a real gut wrencher, and frankly this is something that is not likely going to change for the better in our lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin