Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:55 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times

Advertisements

where exactly is this Jollyville area that everyone is referencing? I know that Jollyville road that is parallel to 183 i.e we take it every time we go to Rudy's on 183 to go back home but I'm not sure where the apartments are located and where all these rapes and off leash dogs are. Really would love to know so if i were to be asked for recommendations, I would know never to recommend the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 12:11 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
where exactly is this Jollyville area that everyone is referencing? I know that Jollyville road that is parallel to 183 i.e we take it every time we go to Rudy's on 183 to go back home but I'm not sure where the apartments are located and where all these rapes and off leash dogs are. Really would love to know so if i were to be asked for recommendations, I would know never to recommend the area.
Jollyville Rd and Jolleyville are two different places. I'd imagine Jollyville Rd was named that way because it went to Jollyville, not because it was in it. The area people are referring to is generally east of 183 between Anderson Mill Rd and McNeil. My wife lived in an apartment complex there in the 90's -- her complex wasn't so bad, but there is a huge particularly horrible complex there... and I think that's where all of this is coming from. The SF houses there didn't seem so bad (but not as good as adjacent areas).

If the OP is looking to rent an apartment, Westlake is a great choice if the commute is reasonable. Apartments in Westlake aren't that much more expensive (not astronomical like downtown or trendy east/south areas). Buying a home there is much more expensive, though -- so if you ultimately want to find a neighborhood to stay in and buy a house, just be aware of that.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:18 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Jollyville Rd and Jolleyville are two different places. I'd imagine Jollyville Rd was named that way because it went to Jollyville, not because it was in it. The area people are referring to is generally east of 183 between Anderson Mill Rd and McNeil. My wife lived in an apartment complex there in the 90's -- her complex wasn't so bad, but there is a huge particularly horrible complex there... and I think that's where all of this is coming from. The SF houses there didn't seem so bad (but not as good as adjacent areas).

If the OP is looking to rent an apartment, Westlake is a great choice if the commute is reasonable. Apartments in Westlake aren't that much more expensive (not astronomical like downtown or trendy east/south areas). Buying a home there is much more expensive, though -- so if you ultimately want to find a neighborhood to stay in and buy a house, just be aware of that.

Thanks, I didnt know Jollyvile was different from Jollyville Rd. I now have a sense of where you are talking about though i havent been in there. I imagine its somewhere behind iFly and Red Barn and Gateway church?

Old 12-13-2016, 12:34 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Thanks, I didnt know Jollyvile was different from Jollyville Rd. I now have a sense of where you are talking about though i havent been in there. I imagine its somewhere behind iFly and Red Barn and Gateway church?
I was confused too. Was thinking Pond Springs Road was called Jollyville Rd. as Jville continued north (& under & then east of 183).

So Jollyville Rd isn't in Jollyville. & Pond Springs is the main road thru "Jollyville". Am I correct?

But this thread is worthless without knowing the commute (& budget). WL Hills is of course a nice area, but there are about 78 other areas of town with nice apartments....where one wouldn't have to worry about getting raped or eaten by a pit bull.

(Anybody else hear about rapes taking place in "Jollyville"? Any Links?)

I know one can get a fantastic Mole Enchilada plate in the heart of "downtown Jollyville" at Jardin Corona.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:37 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,218 times
Never heard of issues with the jollyville area and if there was such a crime issue it sure goes under the table because it's not something that gets talked about.

$1400 might get you a couple pieces of sod in west lake hills not sure why anyone would recommend that on that budget- or the domain. Unfortunately your constrained by your budget. Where do you work? You could buy/rent a house in most Austin suburbs at that budget.. do you have to live in Austin city limits?

I haven't yet seen a place in Austin that lacks homeless people (not a huge fan of this either), or Spanish speaking people (although this is pretty rare in my experience). This is Texas. It's warm people come down here to pan handle because the weather. Crime? I wouldn't even put rundburh and Lamar in the same universe as most Baltimore neighborhoods- which is why I'm completely shocked that your saying the crime is awful in an area not known for crime. Maybe your in one of those particular apartment complexes that seems to breed those types. Not a fan of apartments for that reason.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
Quote:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jo...!4d-97.7362384

Old 12-13-2016, 02:29 PM

14 posts, read 22,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Never heard of issues with the jollyville area and if there was such a crime issue it sure goes under the table because it's not something that gets talked about.

$1400 might get you a couple pieces of sod in west lake hills not sure why anyone would recommend that on that budget- or the domain. Unfortunately your constrained by your budget. Where do you work? You could buy/rent a house in most Austin suburbs at that budget.. do you have to live in Austin city limits?

I haven't yet seen a place in Austin that lacks homeless people (not a huge fan of this either), or Spanish speaking people (although this is pretty rare in my experience). This is Texas. It's warm people come down here to pan handle because the weather. Crime? I wouldn't even put rundburh and Lamar in the same universe as most Baltimore neighborhoods- which is why I'm completely shocked that your saying the crime is awful in an area not known for crime. Maybe your in one of those particular apartment complexes that seems to breed those types. Not a fan of apartments for that reason.
If you read the entire thread you would know I said paying more for rent is not an issue. Hence the reason I am now interested in the west lake area. Have you even lived in Baltimore? It's not what you see on tv. Yes there is crime but there are nice areas. I lived in Baltimore my entire life except for the last few months. I never worried about being attacked by random dogs or being raped even in neighborhoods that aren't so great. This city has a major dog problem. So many people feel it's okay to have their dogs off leash. I've read about incidents of this all over the city. Also there have been several serial rapist in the north Austin area. This fall a girl was almost raped in a library bathroom. Luckily she was saved. There have been attacks all around I'm shocked so few people are aware. Some of the attackers are illegal. One of them had been deported 5 times but still returned. That's absolutely horrible.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:43 PM

14 posts, read 22,761 times
For all of those wondering about the sexual assaults.

String of Sexual Assaults Terrorizes North Austin: Six women have been attacked by a masked man since the end of last year - News - The Austin Chronicle

https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.c...?client=safari

Austin sex assault suspect previously deported five times | KTBC

Police: Anderson High School student raped in nearby alley | KEYE

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...?client=safari

My husband is from an affluent neighborhood just outside of Milwuakee. He's not a huge fan of Baltimore but even he thinks a blue collar neighborhood in Baltimore is safer than this Jollyville area. Rape is actually uncommon in Baltimore. The criminals there would rather commit robbery. I'd rather be robbed than raped. With that said I nor anyone I know has ever been robbed in Baltimore. The only reason we are here is because my husband goes to school here. He has a classmate who lives near by she said she feels safe here but she wasn't aware of the rapes. I can't believe how many people are unaware.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:02 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
First of all, Anderson High school and Steck Ave are nowhere near Jollyville. Yes, there was a serial rapist last year who caused a lot of concern for all of the residents of NW Austin (beyond Jollyville as well). It could have happened anywhere.

I've lived in Jollyville for 4 years - I moved from the Westlake area - and I have not been the least bit concerned about my safety. By all means, if you think Westlake will make you feel safer, feel free to move but be prepared to pay about 1/3 more for your rent.

Also, "most people" do not feel it's OK to let their dogs run loose. We have a leash law. Most of my neighbors have dogs, and they stay in their fenced yards or on a leash at all times. Your statement is a bit alarmist.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:24 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
I have not been following this thread, but was curious about the crime stats, since I often go to the Baltimore area for work and my co-workers there warn me about the crime. Here are the two most easily and up-to-date comparisons I could find.

In short, there is a slightly higher risk of rape in Austin (51.9 vs 46.2 per 100k residents, or about 12%).

In comparison, the risk of being murdered is over 2,000 percent higher in Baltimore (55.4 vs 2.5) - you are almost correct in stating that you are more likely to be robbed - it is actually more likely to be murdered than raped in Baltimore (55.4 vs 46.2 murder vs rape in Baltimore). Robbery is 700 percent higher and assault 300 percent higher in Baltimore. Burglary is 60% lower in Austin and overall property crime ~25% lower.

For 2015, APD reports that there were 4 rapes in 78729 (which I think completely covers Jollyville) out of the 471 in the city. So a bit under one percent that were reported last year in Austin.

It makes someone wonder if maybe you were unaware of the crime around you growing up?
Attached Thumbnails
Where are the best neighborhoods in Austin?-captureb.gif   Where are the best neighborhoods in Austin?-capturea.gif  

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 12-13-2016 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin