Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:35 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
asians actually volunteer less, it doesnt make much difference to the kids education.
I'm not sure where all this "Asian" talk is coming from. And where do you get your data? Or is this just first hand experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:03 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Many factors come into play when discussing the homework habits, parental involvement, and school success. Here are a few thoughts based strictly on my own knowledge and experience.

Children need parents and/or parental figures to be actively involved in their education. In some cultures, the elder generations living in the same home allows for shared duties between parents and grandparents, and can ease the burden of two parents working or Mother caring for youngsters while trying to help with education of school age kids. This type of arrangement across generations is much less common in the Caucasian community.

Money helps, but it is not the catch all for a good education. An emphasis on education and continuous learning in the home promotes good habits and critical thinking even at a young age. Communication with real conversation and looking people in the eye is a good starting point. Technology is important, but cannot replace human interaction.

Parents need to feel empowered by the school system, not imprisoned. When the educator (or administrator with the PhD, for example) cannot speak to parents with a tone of courtesy or respect, it generally is an indicator that they cannot relate to the teachers and students with courtesy or respect either. All the advanced theses in the world will not overcome a hard heart in the school administration. When those administrators promote to policy making positions, you get revenue sharing and financial formulas that look great on paper and fail to translate to better learning opportunities in the classroom.

Rant over.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm not sure where all this "Asian" talk is coming from. And where do you get your data? Or is this just first hand experience?
it was in one of the papers that I excerpted from. Dont remember which one it was. But it is also my experience. It is cultural in that in asia the teachers are held in much higher esteem and parents generally stay out of the way of the teaching. Parents side with the teachers when the kids misbehave and dont interact with the school administration unless there are problems.

Asians also generally dont volunteer either as the culture is mostly working on yourself. It is each person's responsibility to improve their own live this is vs. our christian based culture which is about helping others. Fear because of the language barrier is also an issue.

When expectations are given that they need to volunteer, then they do.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM

125 posts, read 293,803 times
Default Robin Hood

Never liked the property tax paying for schools.

But I believe we should look at closing schools with less than 300 or 400 kids. Tons of schools in Texas have fewer students than this but still have all the administration cost. I appreciate someone will mention West Texas where miles separate kids. Thats not my point. Cities will not let their schools go no matter how ineffective they are. I sold food to schools for years and was always amazed at how close some districts were. We saw the same thing on post offices as no matter how much they cost taxpayer cities would not let them go. Just look east of Austin to find examples.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:24 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
Default I expalined what an Imagined illegal is in another post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What is an "imagined illegal"?
it is something I started noticing about 10 years ago.

Here is what I wrote "There is such an ignorance though of the yanks looking at Texas and always noting the Spanish surnames and imaging all those with Spanish names are illegals. It just gets ridiculous where you see comment after comment from Yanks saying after a news story "Jimenez, Hmm another illegal takin' our money or committing a crime". Folks not from around here do not realize that the majority of those with Spanish surnames are Americans from the US sometimes going back many generations."

Here in Texas we have tons of legal Hispanics, many have been here longer than the whites because Texas was part of Mexico and people forget that. Others, like my husband have been here 3 generations or more on various side of his family-way longer than mine as a "whiteish person. However after a news listing of a wreck or an assault I notice commenters often write ""Jimenez, Hmm another illegal takin' our money or committing a crime" as I said. It is ignorant, nonfactual but it lends to the lore of "them illegals is taking our money and benefits". Actual facts are available to see who is getting what, but the armchair quarterbacks prefer hearsay and stereotyping.

So that is an "imagined illegal"

Old 02-24-2017, 09:29 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
So it interesting that with the Internet it seems to have taken our ability to focus on the main question and instead we segue into oblivious sub topics or non-related topics. No wonder we can't solve anything anymore.

Go back and see how many people were actually able to discuss the topic I first put forward. Did anyone do any research on what I said? Maybe look it up with an alternate news source? No one wanted to take any responsibility for the possibility that perhaps conservative poor are taking the wealthier by numbers liberal and conservative big cities in Texas-money and that might be wrong? Or maybe it is right? Either way argue for either and show me you can think.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:40 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
So it interesting that with the Internet it seems to have taken our ability to focus on the main question and instead we segue into oblivious sub topics or non-related topics. No wonder we can't solve anything anymore.

Go back and see how many people were actually able to discuss the topic I first put forward. Did anyone do any research on what I said? Maybe look it up with an alternate news source? No one wanted to take any responsibility for the possibility that perhaps conservative poor are taking the wealthier by numbers liberal and conservative big cities in Texas-money and that might be wrong? Or maybe it is right? Either way argue for either and show me you can think.
1. It's a forum, not a formatted debate. Welcome to the internet.
2. Maybe no one cares about your personal opinion of "rural republicans" and how the money gets cut apart. Maybe the general opinions are that the money isn't the problem with the education system and the parental involvement is the bigger issue. Maybe...
3. Wealth re-distribution happens in government all the time and has been a topic long before the founding of this country. Texas has just figured out a way to do it through the education system instead of a "welfare" system.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:43 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
A quick google search revealed:

- AISD - 1.192%

- RRISD - 1.3325%

- LISD - 1.51187%

- Eanes - 1.2025%

Not sure what the "Cap" is (in the state of Texas). Maybe it's a variable number ??

But alot of ways to look at the numbers above. A dispassionate person could look at them and say "Hey AISD, just bump your rate by .15 (to match RRISDs rate) or by .3 (to match LISDs rate) and you'd have all the money you need AND plenty of money to send to the "wealth re-distributors".

It is kind of ironic that those who have no problem in Re-distribution on a National Level (CofA & CofH), are squealing like stuck pigs when it happens on a state wide level. Especially ironic considering it's "for the education of our state's kids".

Not really. Big problem with RH is that it's now causing otherwise poorer districts (ex. Austin ISD where more than 50% of its students are economically disadvantaged) to pay astronomical amounts back because they're "property rich". Nationally, revenue is based on a progressive income tax.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:05 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post

Perhaps you should have started this thread in the actual Debates forum here at C-D?

Old 02-25-2017, 07:11 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Not really. Big problem with RH is that it's now causing otherwise poorer districts (ex. Austin ISD where more than 50% of its students are economically disadvantaged) to pay astronomical amounts back because they're "property rich". Nationally, revenue is based on a progressive income tax.
austin is property rich. In austin the median price of a home is 335K, in texas as a whole it is 160.

That means for each unit of housing, AISD generates twice the revenue of the median and probably a whole lot more than texas as a whole.

The number of economically disadvantaged students is irrelevant in determining if the district is poor or rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin