Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 02:46 PM

356 posts, read 409,895 times

Advertisements

80 degrees on Christmas. Ahh, Austin. We suffer through your summer so you can do this to us. Just lettin' us know who's boss, right? At least it was coolish on Thanksgiving Day. Crank up the air conditioners and put away the imaginary snow shovels - it's deep winter in Austin! Yes, I dug out my shorts and tee shirt. Pleasant weather, in an October-ish sort of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 03:06 PM

436 posts, read 570,699 times
Texas has two seasons. Summer and not summer. Not summer is sometimes mixed with a bit more summer, like now.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:30 PM

That's a nice way to put it. Summer and "not summer". Or maybe "not quite summer"? I've lived here for 30 years, and I still can't get used to it. We have seasons in principle mainly. Leaves falling in December and January?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:02 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
Texas has two seasons. Summer and not summer. Not summer is sometimes mixed with a bit more summer, like now.
It's been that way since we got here in 1959. Sometimes it's colder, sometimes warmer.

Anyone remember 30 years ago when Prince Charles visited Austin for the Texas Sesquicentennial celebration? Very typical cold & chilly temps (40s-50s) leading up to March 2nd, then on Independence Day it suddenly shot up to 96!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:28 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
This has been great weather for me. Was able to get some yard work done this weekend (needed to I mean there are so many leaves), and I love being in shorts and t-shirt on Christmas Day.

This is why I moved here! If you want cold weather move back to MN or wherever you came from.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I'll take it

Old 12-26-2016, 03:09 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Actually sweating on the short bike ride this afternoon...amazing for the end of December Just about to run the A/C for a few minutes to get rid of some of the steam

Old 12-26-2016, 03:18 PM

I get in shorts an tee shirt when it is 60F. I don't need no friggin' heat wave to do that. Some do, I guess. I come from the PNW but that was 40 years ago. Still haven't gotten used to Austin winters. I won't say anything about Austin summers. Yes, I probably will move back there, one of these days.

Ha ha, raking leaves. Yep, I'm up to my ears in them as we approach January. January?? Yes, in Austin, "fall" starts in December and continues through January. The new leaves are pushing the old ones out. New leaves start to "spring" pretty early. So I guess formally, there really is no winter at all here. Go figure. In Austin, the three seasons are spring, ssssuuuummmmmmmmeeeerrrr, and fall.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
80 degrees on Christmas. Ahh, Austin. We suffer through your summer so you can do this to us. Just lettin' us know who's boss, right? At least it was coolish on Thanksgiving Day. Crank up the air conditioners and put away the imaginary snow shovels - it's deep winter in Austin! Yes, I dug out my shorts and tee shirt. Pleasant weather, in an October-ish sort of way.
This is my first winter in a warm locale! I think it's like -12 or so in my hometown -- not complaining. That said, my sense is the complaints will start when summer comes!

Old 12-27-2016, 02:11 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
I get in shorts an tee shirt when it is 60F. I don't need no friggin' heat wave to do that. Some do, I guess. I come from the PNW but that was 40 years ago. Still haven't gotten used to Austin winters. I won't say anything about Austin summers. Yes, I probably will move back there, one of these days.

Ha ha, raking leaves. Yep, I'm up to my ears in them as we approach January. January?? Yes, in Austin, "fall" starts in December and continues through January. The new leaves are pushing the old ones out. New leaves start to "spring" pretty early. So I guess formally, there really is no winter at all here. Go figure. In Austin, the three seasons are spring, ssssuuuummmmmmmmeeeerrrr, and fall.
I've lived in Texas my entire life and have never gotten used to the summers or winters here. It seems like every year I hate summer more than the year before it, and the winters have become really bizarre lately. I was furious that I had to turn on the A/C on Christmas Eve, especially when it was 20-degrees a week ago. I think it should be cold on Christmas and am upset when it isn't.

BTW, I love the Pacific Northwest and would like to end up there eventually myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin