Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 11:38 PM

22 posts, read 82,182 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, first-time poster here. I've enjoyed familiarizing myself with this wonderful resource of a site in the last month or so, and now have a question of my own I thought I'd throw out there. I should mention that I've done my homework on this company as far as BBB, SaferSys, etc. are concerned, but what I haven't found a whole lot of (including on this site, unless I'm missing a gold mine of info) is personal experiences with them. So I'd like to hear more, if possible!

All that said, does anyone have any opinions about or experiences with Smart Move, Inc. and the Smart Vaults? I researched many pod options, and this really best fits our needs. It's my first time undertaking a big move like this (other moves were apartment to apartment back in the college days) and my first time using a portable storage company, so any words of wisdom, caution, etc. about this, or moving in general, will be appreciated.

Oh, a couple other things just popped into my head:
1) Any particular lock(s) you pod-users would suggest to keep items as safe as possible while in the container?
2) There are already a lot of moving pads around the house, but if I find I need more, any suggestions on what specifically (type, brand, etc.) I should get and how much I should expect to pay? I'm sure that probably varies greatly due to differences in quality.

Well, t hank you all so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
What makes them different from PODS? I've used PODS and really liked the company and their service.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM

Whoops, hit the wrong button there.

Thanks for the reply, mimimom. Out of the companies I looked into, it really did come down to PODS vs. Smart Move because we'll need the container here for an undetermined amount of time (other options I found, like Relocube, etc., only allow you 3 days to a week). We have a very long (70 ft) but narrow (10 ft) driveway to the side of our house, and we feel like the very back of that driveway is the best spot for the container to go. Our driveway is too narrow for Podzilla delivery, unfortunately, so that's not an option. We can, however, fit a few smaller Smart Vaults back there without problem.

I guess if we really wanted to do PODS instead, we have to place one on the street in front of the house, but I don't know that I want to do that (or that it would be allowed, well-received, etc.).

Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthieBaby View Post
Whoops, hit the wrong button there.

Thanks for the reply, mimimom. Out of the companies I looked into, it really did come down to PODS vs. Smart Move because we'll need the container here for an undetermined amount of time (other options I found, like Relocube, etc., only allow you 3 days to a week). We have a very long (70 ft) but narrow (10 ft) driveway to the side of our house, and we feel like the very back of that driveway is the best spot for the container to go. Our driveway is too narrow for Podzilla delivery, unfortunately, so that's not an option. We can, however, fit a few smaller Smart Vaults back there without problem.

I guess if we really wanted to do PODS instead, we have to place one on the street in front of the house, but I don't know that I want to do that (or that it would be allowed, well-received, etc.).
Yeah, you might get some 'love notes' from neighbors about it!
Good luck!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Yeah, you might get some 'love notes' from neighbors about it!
Good luck!
Haha, you're not kidding! Thanks so much!!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM

5 posts, read 11,827 times
I don't know if I'll be much help either but just wanted to give you a thumbs up on PODS. My husband and I used them when moving from an apartment to our first house and they were fantastic! They were easy to work with and good costumer service.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 PM

All right, txaggies, thanks so much for the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin