Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

It's possible to get the former without the later, but you may not be in a subdivision. What direction 50 miles outside of Austin are you looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM

7 posts, read 21,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's possible to get the former without the later, but you may not be in a subdivision. What direction 50 miles outside of Austin are you looking?
We are not necessarily needing to be in a subdivision, but most of the small parcels (5-10 acres) with good access that I have found are in new subdivision developments.

Any direction would be considered. Most recently, I have been looking (just on line, haven't physically been there) at a place called La Reata Ranch near Smithville in Bastrop county. The lots all seem to be around 5-6 acres and selling for just under $10K/acre.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 AM

Do you want city water, or will a well do? Septic acceptable?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Do you want city water, or will a well do? Septic acceptable?
I've never had any experience with anything other than city water (can you tell I'm a city gal? ), but am not opposed to a well/septic per se.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 AM

I know of a couple of areas that might have something, if you're not well/septic averse. I'm heading out the door right now, but will check them out and point you in their general direction when I get back this afternoon. Sometimes, too, you can find a property where someone is cutting off a ten acre parcel from their larger place, and those sometimes have paved road access and utilities available, if not actually on the property (I've seen both scenarios).

Another thing to remember is to look at the restrictions/HOA docs before writing something off. Sometimes it's something as simple as no hog farms that you'd likely not have a problem with (would you?); other times, they want to dictate what brand of tissue you use to blow your nose.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:11 AM

I can live without the hog farm but I draw the line at nose blowing!

Thanks for checking for me. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 AM

I found quite a few scattered all around the area that have no restrictions and either have utilities on the property or have them available. From 5 acres up to almost 10 acres, from everywhere from $40,000 to $1,200,000. What are you looking to do with the land, and what's your price limit? That might narrow it down a bit so I can point you in the right direction.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM

5-10 acres is the range we are looking for. Pricing is more a factor of value rather than absolute price. For a more expensive piece of land with equivalently reduced building costs due to its grading, utility access, etc., we would consider it relevant to future savings. Even if we don't build on it, price for us would be based on the investment value/return if we were to resell it down the road. In terms of liquidity, we could probably go as high as $100k and pay for the land outright. Anything more than that would require financing. Interest on financing and RE tax rate of course would also factor into the overall value vs price ratio.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Default La Ventana

March 2010
What is the status of Lawsuit with Homeowners and ROA regarding water and propane tanks? Do the Board members who started the law suit, still live in the area and receive funds from the residence?
Is Sonterra Energy a source for the propane is it related to any of the Board members?
Water source La Ventana Ranch Owners Assoc. Is that the source that has been involved in lawsuit. What is a typical water bill from this source. If you had a small front yard and only watered half of the backyard. Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Personally I thank IC_deLight every time I plant another shrub or tree. I didn't have to ask anyone if I could plant them or where I could plant them. I cannot imagine being in an HOA...it would feel like prison to me.

Before we moved here I never heard of such a thing and am I ever glad I asked here what they were!!

Sooo glad we are not in an HOA neighborhood.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all that good information IC_deLight!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin