Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
No backflow preventers are not required to be above ground. Mine, at two different houses. have been underground, where they are less likely to freeze up and break.

You have been lucky if you have never had a major leak, they are hard to detect when a water line breaks underground, until you get a water bill a month later that is out the roof. That is my motivation for having the system inspected once a year.
As mentioned, the septic system is the key. If your BF apparatus is old and working poroperly, no problem. But once it needs replacing, it MUST be above ground if your water utility is playing by the rules. The inspector broke a valve handle on my neighbors below ground unit and fixing it was not an option. Replaced with above ground. See TCEQ website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:16 PM

300 posts, read 413,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
As mentioned, the septic system is the key. If your BF apparatus is old and working poroperly, no problem. But once it needs replacing, it MUST be above ground if your water utility is playing by the rules. The inspector broke a valve handle on my neighbors below ground unit and fixing it was not an option. Replaced with above ground. See TCEQ website.
I don't see the real reason and benefit for putting the valve above ground. There is absolutely not true that such a requirement could prevent the back flow. This requirement cause many frozen and broken pipes in the winter. It must be some stupid government officials have noting to do, but abuse their power to put such a requirement.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Seems to be dependent on the type of BFP, but these appear to be the relevant rules. Note that this is not related to septic, as far as I can tell:
(note: this forum does not like male chickens being referenced)
Quote:
C. Double Check Valve Assemblies (DCVA) and Double Check Detector Assemblies (DCDA) shall be installed to the following minimum standards:

1. Above Grade or Floor Installations
[...]

Below Grade Installations
a. Test ***** shall be plugged or capped with non-ferrous plugs or caps.

b. Test ***** shall discharge vertically upward.

c. A minimum of twenty-four (24) inches unobstructed clearance and access shall be maintained on the service side of the flanged assembly to permit access for testing, service, repairs, and replacement.

d. Double check valve assemblies installed in vaults shall have a minimum of twelve (12) inches clearance to a wall or other obstruction on the non-service side of the assembly.

e. Double check valve assemblies installed in vaults shall maintain twelve (12) inches minimum to a thirty six (36) inches maximum clearance from the lowermost point of the backflow prevention assembly to the vault flooring.

f. Double check valve assemblies installed in vaults shall maintain a minimum of six (6) inches to a of thirty six (36) inches maximum clearance from the uppermost portion of the assembly to the underside of a vault lid, with the shutoff valves in the open position.

g. Backflow prevention assembly vaults shall not be installed in roadways driveways or parking lots or areas requiring traffic bearing lids. Vault access openings for flanged assemblies shall not be less than thirty (30) inches in the least dimension. The vault access door shall be hinged and shall be spring assisted as necessary to allow hand opening by a single individual.

h. Threaded Assemblies installed in vaults less than eighteen (18) inches deep shall have a minimum of four (4) inches clearance from the shutoff valves to the inside walls of the vault.

1) minimum of four (4) inches clearance shall be maintained from the uppermost part of the threaded Double Check Valve Assembly to the underside of the vault box lid.

2) A minimum of six (6) inches clearance shall be maintained from the lowermost point of the threaded double check valve backflow prevention assembly to the flooring in the vault.

3) Vault access openings shall not be less than sixteen (16) inches long and ten and three-fourths (10 ¾) inches wide.

4) Installations deeper than eighteen (18) inches below finished grade shall be installed in accordance with the requirements of this section for flanged double check valve assemblies.

Note: The opening on any vault or box used to house a backflow prevention assembly shall be large enough to permit access for testing, service, repairs, and replacement of the assembly.
https://www.municode.com/library/tx/...DEREWAREWAWASY

Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
As it relates to septic...

http://collegemoundwater.com/crossconnectionarticle.pdf

Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
For sprinkler systems, this is what I do to "test" the system.

Once a month (even in winter) I run the sprinkler system on "test" mode for 2 minutes in each zone to see if any sprinkler heads are broken. I basically run around the yard following each zone as it turns on and seeing if there is either a geyser or tons of water flowing. A geyser means a broken or missing head, a ton of water flowing means there is a break in the pipe underground. I place a small metal "flag" where any issue is so I'll remember the exact location.

Replacing heads simply means a trip to Home Depot and purchasing a new head. If there is a break down deep, it may require a sprinkler expert to come and repair it, or if I have nothing better to do, I'll try to repair it.

My backflow preventer is underground, it was installed prior to the new regulations of having them above ground. I'm so glad that mine is underground!

Old 01-15-2017, 09:43 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
For sprinkler systems, this is what I do to "test" the system.

Once a month (even in winter) I run the sprinkler system on "test" mode for 2 minutes in each zone to see if any sprinkler heads are broken. I basically run around the yard following each zone as it turns on and seeing if there is either a geyser or tons of water flowing. A geyser means a broken or missing head, a ton of water flowing means there is a break in the pipe underground. I place a small metal "flag" where any issue is so I'll remember the exact location.

Replacing heads simply means a trip to Home Depot and purchasing a new head. If there is a break down deep, it may require a sprinkler expert to come and repair it, or if I have nothing better to do, I'll try to repair it.

My backflow preventer is underground, it was installed prior to the new regulations of having them above ground. I'm so glad that mine is underground!
We do the similar thing in the beginning of the 'season', but most of the time we just need to clear grass runners off the top of the heads that is preventing the head from popping up.

It looks like to me that the BFP does not have to be above ground for sprinkler systems, but I am guessing the underground vault requirement is just very expensive and the installers don't want to quote a price that is non-competitive.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:47 AM

738 posts, read 763,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
As mentioned, it IS a requirement if you have a septic system on the property. Established by TCEQ I think in 2009. And also as mentioned, some water utilities weren't/aren't enforcing it... probably because they haven't been caught yet and it irritates the customers. A coworker in San Antonio WITHOUT a septic is also having an annual inspection dictated by SAWS. Interesting reading on the TCEQ website.
TCEQ only requires a yearly inspection if your irrigation system uses untreated water or is dual with city water. Treated water systems don't require them. Some cities and utilities require a yearly on treated only systems because it's a major source of revenue for backflow preventer testers. Charging $60 bucks for a 4 minute test leaves tons of time and cash for lobbying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin