Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 03:44 PM

99 posts, read 146,920 times

Advertisements

So, how much cost in annual maintenance do people normally spend on a sprinkler system here?

When they do maintenance, what do they do?

Where do most people install the backflow preventer? in the ground or above ground? Mine recently got hosed during the last freeze and it was above ground.

Any help/tips in this area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 04:37 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,764 times
I'm not an expert by any stretch but if you have above ground components they will prob need to be turned off and drained during the winter months.

My system has everything below ground, so far so good. I do lose a couple sprinkler heads a year to age or over zealous landscapers...however the 14 foot geysers that result are momentarily entertaining!

Old 01-04-2017, 04:41 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
If you have a septic system, I believe the backflow apparatus has to be above ground, and annual inspection by a licensed inspector is required. Been required for some time (2009?), but not all the water utilities were following the rules. Some may still not be. Mine is now, and the inspection was $80. As to maintenance, I've done nothing in 6 years, other than wrapping that ugly backflow plumbing with insulation and making it uglier.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
I usually pay for an inspection and tune up of my sprinkler system each spring before I turn it back on, it usually costs less than $200. They check all of the sprinkler heads to make sure they are clear and properly adjusted and look for leaks.

I turn it off during the winter months when Austin is calculating the waste water averaging rate that I will have to pay the rest of the year.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
We replace a couple of heads per year, on average.

Our backflow valve is right near the main cutoff valve to our property and is located in a small utility box underground. We have never had a freezing problem with it - I suspect between being located below grade, covered, and adjacent to flowing 'warmer' water takes care of the issue.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,916 times
I've never had to do any sort of regular maintenance on either of our sprinkler systems, other than an initial check/tune up after we bought each house.

I do my own lawn maintenance and have never lost a sprinkler head.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:21 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
If you have a septic system, I believe the backflow apparatus has to be above ground, and annual inspection by a licensed inspector is required. Been required for some time (2009?), but not all the water utilities were following the rules. Some may still not be. Mine is now, and the inspection was $80. As to maintenance, I've done nothing in 6 years, other than wrapping that ugly backflow plumbing with insulation and making it uglier.
It is NOT a requirement to have your system inspected annually.

I've had irrigation systems for 20 years in Austin and never had an inspection.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasipmom View Post
So, how much cost in annual maintenance do people normally spend on a sprinkler system here?

When they do maintenance, what do they do?

Where do most people install the backflow preventer? in the ground or above ground? Mine recently got hosed during the last freeze and it was above ground.

Any help/tips in this area would be greatly appreciated!
I believe they are required to be above ground. There are backflow preventer covers available at Lowes and Home Depot. They protect against freeze damage.

I never turn my system off and the only maintenance cost is replacing broken sprinklers.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I believe they are required to be above ground. There are backflow preventer covers available at Lowes and Home Depot. They protect against freeze damage.

I never turn my system off and the only maintenance cost is replacing broken sprinklers.
No backflow preventers are not required to be above ground. Mine, at two different houses. have been underground, where they are less likely to freeze up and break.

You have been lucky if you have never had a major leak, they are hard to detect when a water line breaks underground, until you get a water bill a month later that is out the roof. That is my motivation for having the system inspected once a year.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It is NOT a requirement to have your system inspected annually.

I've had irrigation systems for 20 years in Austin and never had an inspection.
As mentioned, it IS a requirement if you have a septic system on the property. Established by TCEQ I think in 2009. And also as mentioned, some water utilities weren't/aren't enforcing it... probably because they haven't been caught yet and it irritates the customers. A coworker in San Antonio WITHOUT a septic is also having an annual inspection dictated by SAWS. Interesting reading on the TCEQ website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin