Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:23 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCUE View Post
Seriously? Always interesting to read different views

There was a recent post in the parenting section about a family that just got cats or so and found that their young children were allergic. So I'm guessing in your case, it won't matter whether your new spouse or children are let's say severely allergic to your pets, you would rather get rid of the humans? Interesting
No. Children are a different matter. But regarding spouses or significant others, a person has a choice in finding someone who loves animals. If the person gives up the animals, then they shouldn't have gotten them in the first place. Or they should have been wiser is selecting a spouse or significant other.

But I feel differently about the situation with children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 AM

668 posts, read 783,666 times
FWIW, when I was renting (granted that era ended in 2008) I never had to pay a pet deposit that was $300+ PER PET. I often had to pay a smaller additional amount for additional pets, but it wasn't $1200 for 4 pets---more like $300 for my German Shepherd and maybe another $100 or so per cat.

I also never had to pay "pet rent", which I think is ridiculous bull****. Either charge enough money to cover damages in the deposit, or don't allow pets. When my pets have jobs, they can pay pet rent--and right now, there isn't big money in chasing squirrels.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,840 times
Thank you all for your responses. My family is in Texas, it is where I am from. I would like to be by my family, as circumstances change. Giving up my fur family is not an option, but I appreciate that input. Both of our families are willing to help us out with our pets until we can get settled. We decided that we wanted to have pets instead of children, so they are basically our "kids." The rent I put was because we do not have jobs lined up yet, so it is modest, based off of savings.

We are not necessarily set on in Austin, there are many areas around Austin that would work just as well. I did not want to buy a house until at least a year in a new area to make sure that it was the right fit. I am originally from Houston, but would not like to return there. Austin felt like a good option that fit for both me and my husband. Where I am in Georgia is nothing like the metropolitan areas in Texas, and I can't get my family here as I can in Texas.

Eirenecat, your response made me laugh, if only they could earn some extra cash chasing those squirrels!

I was hoping that housing would be better around Austin, because of everything I have read about how pet friendly they are. I completely understand that our 8 pets is a lot, however they needed homes, and so we provided them with one.

If anyone knows of a real estate agent or person who has a big heart for animals that may be willing to accommodate our family, please let me know. It does not have to be in Austin, we were just looking in that general area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin