Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 09:11 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

I currently have wood blinds and they are nice but a pain to clean and occasionally fall off if someone yanks the chord too hard. I was thinking the next step was to upgrade to plantation shutters, they seem so elegant and easier to clean and can't fall off!

The input from cd austin about an arborist was helpful, so I was hoping y'all can be equally useful in this regard. I'm looking for quality and value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
I think blinds, shutters and window treatments should completely be disrupted by online ordering. I personally would go to 3 day blinds or blindsonline and order them myself shipped direct. Even if you make a mistake you save so much money you could order them again.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:39 PM

21 posts, read 98,825 times
I hired Shutter Guy Austin for my plantation shutters. My neighbors across the street hired him too. Prices were good and he was great to work with.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:20 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Southern shutters

Old 01-15-2017, 03:47 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Get out that checkbook! Seems this topic comes up every couple of years. Even though DW is an ASID certified interior designer, she hasn't had to source plantation style shutters(we even had them in our 'big' house...thanks to the original owner).

If I hadn't lost the third garage bay and gotten rid of most of my tools, I would be working on a set of six shutters 22 x 44" to fit our south and west-facing windows over the stair case. I actually would make them fixed as they would not "need" to open or articulate, but would be positioned to block the sun yet allow a view from the top of the stairs. Even that might be beyond my abilities; but the oil and gas business will have to come back strong before we could drop the many hundreds for plantation shutters for those windows.

I'll check again with DW in case she has come up with a source. I would check with Shades of Texas based on my experience with their window tinting division...
Austin Window Shutters for Interior Spaces | Shades of Texas

Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 PM

Thank y'all, I will check out Southern Shutters and Shutter Guy Austin and see how they price against each other.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:47 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
I was SHOCKED when I heard the cost of plantation shutters for a 2600 sf house with low to average amount/size of windows.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:45 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I currently have wood blinds and they are nice but a pain to clean and occasionally fall off if someone yanks the chord too hard. I was thinking the next step was to upgrade to plantation shutters, they seem so elegant and easier to clean and can't fall off!

The input from cd austin about an arborist was helpful, so I was hoping y'all can be equally useful in this regard. I'm looking for quality and value.
We had plantation shutters in the last house, and I didn't really find them any easier to clean than blinds other than the fact that they don't 'move around'. Still a pain. But installed correctly, they do look a lot better. And were I buying a house today, all other things being equal I'd go with the shutters.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
We had plantation shutters in the last house, and I didn't really find them any easier to clean than blinds other than the fact that they don't 'move around'. Still a pain. But installed correctly, they do look a lot better. And were I buying a house today, all other things being equal I'd go with the shutters.
I have a couple of windows where the wood blinds are "stuck" so I'm going to have to replace them.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,289 times
Default Shutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Thank y'all, I will check out Southern Shutters and Shutter Guy Austin and see how they price against each other.

I recently, in the last couple month, got a quote from both. The Shutter Guy was cheaper than Southern Shutters. And, we initially ordered from The Shutter Guy, but we canceled the order--to many problems with him. He missed the first appointment by one day, then he had to measure one window 3 times because it was unclear to him if the window was square or arched (pretty important to know this for custom shutters), then a paint sample was "in the mail", which to this day we have never received.

So, we ended up going with Blind Outfitters (who uses the same company the the Shutter Guy uses to manufacture the shutters).

Greg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin