Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 01:04 PM

22 posts, read 28,491 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a move to the Williamson county area of Austin. Part of what I love about Austin is how green it is and that it's more pedestrian friendly.
We are a family with young kids and I would like to be in a neighborhood that is child friendly and that not only is it "walkable" but you actually see people walking to restaurants, grocery, that type of thing.
Is there such a thing in Williamson county? Perhaps a master planned community? Our budget is ~1M.
Thank you very much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM

772 posts, read 1,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysquirrel View Post
Hello,

I am considering a move to the Williamson county area of Austin. Part of what I love about Austin is how green it is and that it's more pedestrian friendly.
We are a family with young kids and I would like to be in a neighborhood that is child friendly and that not only is it "walkable" but you actually see people walking to restaurants, grocery, that type of thing.
Is there such a thing in Williamson county? Perhaps a master planned community? Our budget is ~1M.
Thank you very much in advance
Curious as to why Williamson county in particular. Is there a destination that you are trying to get to? Only asking because most relocation posts that I see here dont think of the area from a county POV. They are looking for specific things - schools, house size, style etc, demographics, commute etc. Perhaps if you share more of your thinking, people may be able to help more. I for one, I'm not super familiar with where the borders of Travis vs Williamson counties are. My house for instance has an Austin address but is in Williamson county. Apparently there is a small part of Cedar Park (which I've always thought of in Williamson county ) according to Wikipedia that is in Travis County.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,335,598 times
Why don't you live in walkable areas of Austin? Why Wilco?

I guess parts of Avery Ranch would be the closest thing I can think of....

Old 01-09-2017, 03:05 PM

15,234 posts, read 35,413,416 times
Downtown Georgetown, maybe.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:23 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,884,917 times
If you have 1M I would do Austin. You could live on the north side of Austin if you need to be close to Wilco

Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Downtown Georgetown, maybe.
That's what I was thinking.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:53 PM

895 posts, read 1,231,025 times
I don't think I've really seen that type of environment anywhere in Austin... not even downtown which has what.. a Whole Foods that the parking lot is packed to the brim with no residential or walkability to speak nearby?

Downtown Georgetown... kind?

Cedar park town center.. once the new sections of retail open up it will have a 365 by Whole Foods even closer then the heb and other grocery options (it will. A basically right behind). Has the rec center, cedar park center across the road- rail road ration- unlimited shopping/eating. Movies.. is it going to be like China town in NYC or little Italy in Chicago? Lol no. That environment doesn't exist really anywhere in the south.

Lakeline area has its spots particularly near the mall/heb.

The domain in the obvious one but not sure if that falls into wilco or Travis.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,439,979 times
Don't forget that $25K property tax bill that comes with the property. No much in the way of Homestead tax relief here in WilCo, even within the city limits of Austin.

You "could" walk to a small Indian grocery store in Avery Ranch...not sure if anyone actually does.

You'd be hard pressed to find a million dollar property in AR. I think there is one...not for sale, AFAIK

Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,693,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
I don't think I've really seen that type of environment anywhere in Austin... not even downtown which has what.. a Whole Foods that the parking lot is packed to the brim with no residential or walkability to speak nearby?

Downtown Georgetown... kind?

Cedar park town center.. once the new sections of retail open up it will have a 365 by Whole Foods even closer then the heb and other grocery options (it will. A basically right behind). Has the rec center, cedar park center across the road- rail road ration- unlimited shopping/eating. Movies.. is it going to be like China town in NYC or little Italy in Chicago? Lol no. That environment doesn't exist really anywhere in the south.

Lakeline area has its spots particularly near the mall/heb.

The domain in the obvious one but not sure if that falls into wilco or Travis.
The Spring, the Bowie, the Gables(3 different ones), 360 condos, 404 rio grande, Nakanoh, and AMLI are all within 4 blocks of the downtown whole foods. And of course WH isn't the only DT grocery store. The walkscore of WH is 93, higher than anything in wilco.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,439,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The Spring, the Bowie, the Gables(3 different ones), 360 condos, 404 rio grande, Nakanoh, and AMLI are all within 4 blocks of the downtown whole foods. And of course WH isn't the only DT grocery store. The walkscore of WH is 93, higher than anything in wilco.
Well, there is walkable ... and there is walkable. In a WHOLE bunch of 'downtown', you might have to walk 6 blocks out of your way to avoid an active construction site that sits between you and your destination, not to mention the horrible condition of the 'sidewalks' and streets in the construction areas. I'll take smooth, complete sidewalks and intersections over being able to hike to Whole Foods any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: