Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:27 PM

483 posts, read 532,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmarland View Post
I am totally stunned by how Austinites view Lakeway as it were a suburb of L.A. and not Austin. When I come to Austin (fly in via Bergstrom), it has never taken me more than 35 minutes to get from the airport to RM620. Of course, I have the luxury of picking the times I want to take that route and schedule my flights accordingly. I guess I am one who would trade off the commute to live in a community without postage stamp lots and more open scenery.
You may want to look around out HW 290 between the Dripping Springs, Blanco and Johnson City areas if you haven't already. You could potentially get true country living vs subdivision, if that's what you are interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,036 times
A couple thoughts:
It's about 5 minutes from a grocery store. Is that really a hassle? At least you don't have to sit in traffic to get there like people closer into Austin will to go to the store, thus, taking them 5 minutes to get to the store.

It absolutely IS Austin. Zip code and all.

Haters gonna hate apparently.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:55 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
We own a second home in Sweetwater that my in-laws live in who are now retired. It's a nice community, we bought a model and got a pretty good deal. Everything they need is within easy reach. The house is on the smaller side for that sub at about 2600 sq. ft. They like it a lot, the neighbors are great, the pool is very nice (our kids love it) and they always have fun events in the clubhouse. I would say it's a good location if you don't mind the distance from downtown. Though it's far from downtown Austin, it is an Austin zip, not Lakeway. As for weather, we live about 7 mi. closer to town and the house in Sweetwater always gets hit harder when there's bad weather. We've had to replace broken windows, fencing that collapsed and we've already replaced the roof.

There appear to be some retirees but it's definitely a mix. Many young families. Whoever said there is a lot of available stock out there is right. There are always homes for sale. Good luck, come on down!

Old 01-19-2017, 08:14 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
It absolutely IS Austin. Zip code and all.
zip codes have almost nothing to do with municipal boundaries (obviously, as those were defined years ago and cities have been growing, expanding, and new ones have been founded since then). There are zip codes that contain land actually in the city limits of multiple municipalities.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
A couple thoughts:
It's about 5 minutes from a grocery store. Is that really a hassle? At least you don't have to sit in traffic to get there like people closer into Austin will to go to the store, thus, taking them 5 minutes to get to the store.
Funnily enough, while googling this, I found:

Sweetwater Lifestyle | Austin TX

"H-E-B, Randall’s, and Whole Foods Market are just down the 71."

Sounds like California more than Austin.

and 5 minutes? The absolute closest are 5 miles away (10 minutes with no traffic). And that's from the welcome center at the front, much less actual houses.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:34 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Funnily enough, while googling this, I found:

Sweetwater Lifestyle | Austin TX

"H-E-B, Randall’s, and Whole Foods Market are just down the 71."

Sounds like California more than Austin.
Interesting. A quick search reveals that Newland Communities is headquartered in San Diego.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Interesting. A quick search reveals that Newland Communities is headquartered in San Diego.
Damn Yankees!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
My mom, a New Yorker, puts "the" in front of the highway number so it's not just a Cali thing (i.e. "the 79" "the 45"). many of the highways are referred to by name in NY rather than number (i.e. Van Wyck, Major Deegan (aka the 87), Cross Bronx Expressway (aka I-95)...

How far is sweetwater to be considered "far out"?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,036 times
Silly arguments. 10 minutes to HEB is laughable. It is not.
It's still Austin, that's it.

Riaelise- anything past 10 miles from the city center seems to be "too far out" for those who post here.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Silly arguments. 10 minutes to HEB is laughable. It is not.
It is.

Unless you're blatantly breaking the law (not just 5 over, but like 20 over the speed limit.)

From the Sweetwater _welcome center_ (at the entrance, so closer than any house) it's 5.9 miles to the HEB on 71.
Or 4.9 miles to the HEB on 620.

Speed limit on 71 is 55 mph. Making it in 5 minutes requires going 60 mph flat out the whole way. No traffic. Catching every single light. No slowing down for turns. Locking the brakes and spinning to a stop in the parking lot. Etc.

It's simple math.

Quote:
It's still Austin, that's it.
It's still "Austin" in that it's in the 5 county region.

It's not in Austin (the city). It's not in the ETJ. Both Lakeway and Bee Cave are _between_ Sweetwater and Austin.

It's "in Austin" like San Marcos and Georgetown are in Austin. Which is fine, if that's what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin