Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
FYI - transfers into Westlake HS and Hill Country MS are closed for 2017-2018.
What if he can run the 40 in 4.3 seconds & bench 330 lbs?

Or throw a football thru a swinging tire at 30 yards.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 06:00 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
What if he can run the 40 in 4.3 seconds & bench 330 lbs?

Or throw a football thru a swinging tire at 30 yards.

There are always exceptions to the rule!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:57 AM

361 posts, read 1,164,039 times
Well, they shut down transfers because Eanes parents were complaining that transfers were taking spots on sports teams and other extra-curriculars, so I don't think special exceptions will be made. In fact, had a coach mention to a friend that he better really be living in Eanes (don't use a friend's address), or some parent on his kid's own team may turn him in.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:18 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
My brother just moved from his $1 million + Mount Bonnell home to a rental in Westlake so that his daughter can go to Westlake. She had been transferred Bridgepoint Elementary and Hill County Middle School previously. (Both he and I graduated from Westlake in the 1970's.) Westlake H.S. is better than any other comprehensive public high school Austin by far for so many reasons. Anderson and Westwood are excellent schools, but not in the same league as Westlake.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
My brother just moved from his $1 million + Mount Bonnell home to a rental in Westlake so that his daughter can go to Westlake. She had been transferred Bridgepoint Elementary and Hill County Middle School previously. (Both he and I graduated from Westlake in the 1970's.) Westlake H.S. is better than any other comprehensive public high school Austin by far for so many reasons. Anderson and Westwood are excellent schools, but not in the same league as Westlake.
I know right?? Westlake is FAR better than any other HS in Austin.

Per niche, it has better food.....& the cheerleader outfits are of higher quality !!

& the Academics !! Last year, the average SAT at Westlake was 1786. At Westwood, it was only 1814.

& the ACT !! Last year the average ACT at Westlake was 26.4.....and Westwood only had a 26.7.

(note: I'm not saying there's a big difference between 1814 & 1786....but I AM saying that NEITHER School is FAR better....particularly WL. Actually, BOTH are two of the top 5 open enrollment HS's in the state...& two of the very best in the country....& they are absolutely in the "same League". )

Finally......since the percentage of "economically disadvantaged" is 13% at WW and only 2% at WL, & given the "so many" things WL has going for it......it could be argued that WW's results are significantly better (or more impressive) than WL's.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:23 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
Nobody is moving from Houston to have their children go to Westwood High School.

My mother moved us from Allandale (me from McCallum High School after 9th grade) to Rollingwood in 1972, so that we would attend Westlake High School-- there's nothing new about this practice. I have always had a "love-annoyed relationship" with the Westlake area, and some of the people that live there. (I had my daughter attend Anderson High School, where she graduated in the Top 8% and went on to UT.) But, just go to a PTA meeting at Anderson and one at Westlake, the differences are obvious... Eanse ISD has educational advantages unique in Texas.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:54 AM

668 posts, read 784,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Nobody is moving from Houston to have their children go to Westwood High School.

My mother moved us from Allandale (me from McCallum High School after 9th grade) to Rollingwood in 1972, so that we would attend Westlake High School-- there's nothing new about this practice. I have always had a "love-annoyed relationship" with the Westlake area, and some of the people that live there. (I had my daughter attend Anderson High School, where she graduated in the Top 8% and went on to UT.) But, just go to a PTA meeting at Anderson and one at Westlake, the differences are obvious... Eanse ISD has educational advantages unique in Texas.
Can you elaborate on what the differences that makes Eanes unique are? I am genuinely curious, as we will be moving later this year or in 2018 in order to get closer into town and into a better school district for our daughters. We are currently trying to decide on 1) anything we can afford in Eanes ISD or 2) property tracking to Hill/Doss and then Murchison/Anderson.

What makes Westlake so much better than Anderson or Westwood? (Westwood-tracking schools don't interest us as it's too far out.)

Old 05-03-2017, 12:20 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Can you elaborate on what the differences that makes Eanes unique are? I am genuinely curious, as we will be moving later this year or in 2018 in order to get closer into town and into a better school district for our daughters. We are currently trying to decide on 1) anything we can afford in Eanes ISD or 2) property tracking to Hill/Doss and then Murchison/Anderson.

What makes Westlake so much better than Anderson or Westwood? (Westwood-tracking schools don't interest us as it's too far out.)
My 2 cents here.

Westlake HS is like your "premier" high school in every definition conceivable. Good high school football team, fairly good intramural, good student organizations, reliably good academic curriculum, enthusiastic cheerleaders, sense of pride, crosstown rivalry, national recognition, and most importantly good leadership and teachers.

By every measure, Westlake HS is like something you see in the movies, a school where your child gets the quintessential high school experience. There are very few high schools left like this in the entire country. There is a reason why the oil millionaires/billionaires from Houston move to Austin just so their daughters/sons can attend WLHS.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:00 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I know right?? Westlake is FAR better than any other HS in Austin.

Per niche, it has better food.....& the cheerleader outfits are of higher quality !!

& the Academics !! Last year, the average SAT at Westlake was 1786. At Westwood, it was only 1814.

& the ACT !! Last year the average ACT at Westlake was 26.4.....and Westwood only had a 26.7.

(note: I'm not saying there's a big difference between 1814 & 1786....but I AM saying that NEITHER School is FAR better....particularly WL. Actually, BOTH are two of the top 5 open enrollment HS's in the state...& two of the very best in the country....& they are absolutely in the "same League". )

Finally......since the percentage of "economically disadvantaged" is 13% at WW and only 2% at WL, & given the "so many" things WL has going for it......it could be argued that WW's results are significantly better (or more impressive) than WL's.
And lasa kills them both.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post

How close in are you trying to go? Yaupon which is about 5 minutes from hill feeds into Westwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin