Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 06:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

So I may be a tad hyperbolic here but we're (me and realtor) are trying to find a small (less than 1800 sq ft), one story home in the northern suburbs that isn't new, yet isn't old, and in a good neighborhood for under $250k. It's a savage market, especially in Pflugerville...homes are under contract in less a few days, if that much. There are multiple cash offers too. My mother just lost out to a cash buyer. Even though she has perfect credit, is putting 40%-50% down, the seller chose the cash offer. My mom is getting really discouraged and regrets selling her house up north :/ Any helpful tips to survive this? It was bad two years ago when we purchased, but not like this. Thanks ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 07:21 PM

29 posts, read 27,804 times
Unfortunately, you're experiencing what every other buyer in the sub-300k marker is experiencing. It's incredibly competitive and you really need to be prepared to present a strong offer within 24 hours of a home hitting the market. Your mother is working with a lender and does have a preaoproval (preferably underwritten) letter in hand, correct? If not, that needs to be step one. Make sure your agent is keeping an eye on coming soon and off market listings. It also never hurts to write a sincere, personal letter to submit with an offer. Anything that may give you an upper hand is worth the effort. If you're doing all of these things and your agent is working hard for you, eventually things will work out in your favor.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
When I was running into that with a client last year (one house we put in an offer on had 40 offers in), I started looking for houses that hadn't gone on the market yet. One popped up that was right for her and she's living in it now. That was in Cedar Park. I've also had some success in past with having clients identify houses that from the outside look like possibilities and then contacting the owners to see if they would consider selling. Also, your agent should be checking out the For Sale By Owner (FSBO market). The market is heating up right now so your agent is likely going to need to think outside the box.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:41 AM

668 posts, read 783,826 times
Have you looked into 78729? Is that not North enough, given where you live? Our market is hot too, but I do see houses that meet your criteria coming up every now and then.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 AM

16 posts, read 37,177 times
This isn't good news for us as we're plotting a move from MPLS to Austin - - > starting a new thread about the expectations I should set for this move.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:05 AM

436 posts, read 570,585 times
Oh good, maybe 78753 will finally start going back up in price. I was deathly afraid of the new housing development on Dessau tanking the local prices here. Some of those are listing for $160k for a brand new home and it is making me very nervous.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 AM

RunninJT, do you know what they are building along N Lamar near Walnut Creek Park? It looks like it might be a new subdivision--signs for something there say "Walnut Park," though I suppose it could also be an office park. Lots of land clearing taking place there.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:09 AM

Oh, nevermind, I answered my own question--it's a huge apartment complex. Larry Peel Company | Future Properties

Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 AM

436 posts, read 570,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Oh, nevermind, I answered my own question--it's a huge apartment complex. Larry Peel Company | Future Properties
Which will be right next to the best park North East Austin has to offer, making it even more crowded than it is now.

I get the feeling my edge of the woods is about to get a serious shakeup. It is making me very nervous.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
So I may be a tad hyperbolic here but we're (me and realtor) are trying to find a small (less than 1800 sq ft), one story home in the northern suburbs that isn't new, yet isn't old, and in a good neighborhood for under $250k. It's a savage market, especially in Pflugerville...homes are under contract in less a few days, if that much. There are multiple cash offers too. My mother just lost out to a cash buyer. Even though she has perfect credit, is putting 40%-50% down, the seller chose the cash offer. My mom is getting really discouraged and regrets selling her house up north :/ Any helpful tips to survive this? It was bad two years ago when we purchased, but not like this. Thanks ~
We bought 2 houses (Cedar Park and Round Rock - Brushy Creek area) in that price range in the last year and also faced a lot of competition. I believe for each of them, we possibly for the 10th or so house that we made offers on. My realtor and I would drive around the target areas looking for coming soon and try to submit offers before they got to the market. Turns out other buyers were doing the same.

Many of the sellers did this - submit your best and final offers in 3 days and then find would even come back and get you to up your offer because" you are in the top 3 or some malarkey like that". We just kept looking. Had all of our paperwork in hand and submitted complete offers as soon as we saw a place we liked and we were firm with ourselves on the absolute maximum we could offer to still make sense financially because it was so easy to get carried away. We got the right houses for us.

Hang in there. You will get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin