U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:29 PM

10 posts, read 8,756 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I've been living West of Austin for some time now. I spent a lot of time in San Diego, CA previously.
We were spoiled with great Mexican food there. Tex-Mex is great sometimes too.

Anyone know of any authentic Mexican restaurants? I keep getting advice to go to some of the more expensive high end restaurants that have a lot of seafood, etc. But we're just looking for good basic Mexican; like home made fried crispy corn tacos (not pre-made taco shells), Cottija and Oaxaca cheese, chicken tortilla soup, chicken and rice soup, good table salsa (the cooked with Guajillio chillies type), Nopales, home made rolled tacos (taquitos). That sort of food...

Any advice, we're willing to drive anywhere up to an hour away. We're desperate!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 01:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 595,743 times
I doubt you will find what you are looking for here in Austin. We like this place and it kind of reminded me of the type of Mexican restaurants we went to while living in Southern California.

Home

Not sure why the name did not show up. It is Habanero Mexican Café.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:42 PM

438 posts, read 429,183 times
Man are you in the right state for mexican.
They sell tacos in pre-made hard shells? In Austin? Really? Not just Taco Bell? Here in Texas?

Here is one of my favs. Great Tacos, Great soups and best salsa bar. There may be a slight language barrier depending on your waitress but it's never insurmountable.

Come to Rundberg, we dont bite outsiders much. You cant walk a block without tripping over two or three taco trucks here. Not a taco bell in sight. You usually wont need to know Spanish, but does not hurt to know a little. If they have a goat painted on the side of the truck then they probably even have cabrito. The small carnicerias in this area will also usually have cooked food for sale, some of them have strange procedures for checking out, just watch what the guy in front of you does.

For home made "hard" shell, I suggest Angies.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:13 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,007,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnsd View Post
Hi there,
I've been living West of Austin for some time now. I spent a lot of time in San Diego, CA previously.
We were spoiled with great Mexican food there. Tex-Mex is great sometimes too.

Anyone know of any authentic Mexican restaurants? I keep getting advice to go to some of the more expensive high end restaurants that have a lot of seafood, etc. But we're just looking for good basic Mexican; like home made fried crispy corn tacos (not pre-made taco shells), Cottija and Oaxaca cheese, chicken tortilla soup, chicken and rice soup, good table salsa (the cooked with Guajillio chillies type), Nopales, home made rolled tacos (taquitos). That sort of food...

Any advice, we're willing to drive anywhere up to an hour away. We're desperate!
The Mexican food out in California just has way more flavor. I am not sure why. I have not been able to find anything here that matches up to it and I have been here 17 years.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:16 PM

7,901 posts, read 10,135,345 times
You're in the land of Tex-mex, not Mexican.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:27 PM

668 posts, read 590,046 times
I am going to second RunninJT's suggestion of Taco More. That place is amazing, cheap, and has the best posole in town. Love it!

Old 02-06-2017, 02:32 PM

7,234 posts, read 14,021,755 times
So here is the thing, there really isn't anything called "Mexican food" there is Mexican regional cooking and cuisine and it varies A LOT! What you are looking for is the type of regional Mexican food common in California which is distinctly different than what you will find in Texas. Even from city to city, you will have patterns of immigration from different parts of Mexico to different Texas cities, (lots of folks from Jalisco in Austin for example), and Tex-Mex is itself really another type of regional Mexican cuisine. So you are unlikely to find what you are looking for. Best bet would be to find a trailer from folks from the same region of Mexico that typically immigrated to S. Cal.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,883,502 times
I've been living in Austin for nearly 40 years, and El Caribe at 5610 N. Lamar has the best Mexican food I've ever had. I happened to find it just the other day when I was out and about in that part of Austin around lunch time. I had beef enchiladas, cilantro rice and beans. The food was hot and fresh and it tasted so good. And their salsa was some of the best I've ever had. I will definitely be back. The only drawback I can see is they don't have sweet tea. The water was good, though.

It's located just north of 2222 on the southbound side of Lamar. It's in a small building they share with a place called DK's, which I believe is a sushi bar. It's easy to miss, and the building doesn't look like the most appealing building on Lamar, but don't let that deter ya. Its hard to find better Mexican food at a reasonable price in Austin. For 2 people, the total bill came to $13.90.

I can highly recommend this place. I will definitely be back. It's a good incentive to drive north of the river.

Heres the menu...

http://www.elcaribemexrest.com/menu.html

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 02-06-2017 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-06-2017, 03:22 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,841,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I've been living in Austin for nearly 40 years, and El Caribe at 5610 N. Lamar has the best Mexican food I've ever had. I happened to find it just the other day when I was out and about in that part of Austin around lunch time. I had beef enchiladas, cilantro rice and beans. The food was hot and fresh and it tasted so good. And their salsa was some of the best I've ever had. I will definitely be back. The only drawback I can see is they don't have sweet tea. The water was good, though.

It's located just north of 2222 on the southbound side of Lamar. It's in a small building they share with a place called DK's, which I believe is a sushi bar. It's easy to miss, and the building doesn't look like the most appealing building on Lamar, but don't let that deter ya. Its hard to find better Mexican food at a reasonable price in Austin. For 2 people, the total bill came to $13.90.

I can highly recommend this place. I will definitely be back. It's a good incentive to drive north of the river.

Heres the menu...

Menu - El Caribe Mexican Restaurant
I've eaten there a couple of times as well. (Several years ago.) I agree that it was very good Mexican, Tex/Mex food.

I see on their menu they have Chicken Mole Enchiladas...I'm going to check them out again & try their Mole.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:41 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,766,630 times
You lost me at cilantro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin