Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Wait so we can't have basements but then there's this!
Cha-ching!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:06 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,885 times
I just wonder...do I want to live in a bunker for months and months or do I just want to die if this happens? Death seems way easier than restarting civilization. Maybe it's the Millennial in me.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:49 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
I just wonder...do I want to live in a bunker for months and months or do I just want to die if this happens? Death seems way easier than restarting civilization. Maybe it's the Millennial in me.
Good point...the 'old guy' in me would recognize the survival instinct; but would also weigh the potential headaches of being the last man on earth!

Old 02-09-2017, 10:13 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Know a guy that buried a new concrete septic tank (maybe two?) in the ground and set it up as an emergency bunker with solar, batteries, a generator, and a 'burst' short-wave radio. Never actually saw it, but he had it set up pretty good, as I understand it. He said it could double as a tornado shelter in an emergency.

He also 'smoothed' the dirt on his unpaved entrance to his property so he could check if anyone was driving out onto his place while he was gone.
Having had half of my hometown of Van, Texas wiped out by a tornado almost two years ago, that's not a bad idea and would probably be so much cheaper than a true storm shelter.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Good point...the 'old guy' in me would recognize the survival instinct; but would also weigh the potential headaches of being the last man on earth!
Have you read the book "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank? I read it in junior high back in the early 80s and it is still, to this day, my favorite book ever.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Thanks for the replies people and keeping it respectful.

The world just seems more on edge every year. Countries getting more ballsy and launching missiles for testing. Making direct or indirect threats. While this has been going on since very early in history one can make a strong argument that there seems to be a general winding up earth wide, not winding down year after year now.

The countries that are a bit worrisome are the dictator countries where information to the general population is severely restricted and monitored. Countries like China, Russia and North Korea. Like a wolf pack in numbers, they seem ready to challenge the alpha wolf.

The best defense against violence is education and information in the hands of everyone. If large swaths of the population in a country (like in these listed countries) only gets information that is fed and filtered to them through the government, it makes the world a much scarier place.

The world events seem eerily similar to pre WWI and WWII

As I said in an earlier post, commanders in the past had to use troops and large equipment for warfare. This took considerable time and considerable consideration on where and when to commit. Now, so much is done electronically and massive weapons of destruction are available simply by the coordinated push of a button. Much less is needed to make a "wrong move".

Threats being lobbed on many sides. Nations siding more and more with a particular nation. Missiles now being lobbed on multiple nations side for testing purposes. We should be destroying these things as a civilization, not building and testing more.

Dangerous world we live in. Things are heating up.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Things continue to heat up worldwide:

North Korea's constant testing of ballistic missiles and regular threats to obliterate the US. North Korea is aligned with China. Any pre-emptive strike on North Korea is war with China:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a61de22104f1

China artificially creating islands in international waters to expand their territory. Now they are encroaching on our US ally Japan regularly invading their airspace.
Military nightmare scenario brewing in the East China Sea

Russia aligned with Syria and Syria crossing a red line by using chemical weapons on its people just yesterday. Our president threatening "our own action" if UN doesn't act:
Haley threatens 'our own action' in Syria if UN doesn't act - CNNPolitics.com

Iran fighters in Syria:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irania...rian_Civil_War

Basically, Iran, Syria, Russia, China and North Korea are all aligned and allies. All are causing chaos and or facilitating chaos in the region. The tempo seems to be heating up. Things seem to be coming to a head.

Now that we have a new pres, will the US preemptive strike on Syria? Will the US preemptive strike on North Korea? What does this mean for us here in the US if we enter in a War against all these nuclear powered nations?

Hopefully nothing comes of this but are you prepared if something does?

Now is a good time to reasonably prepare for you and your families. Hopefully nothing does happen but things keep staying hot and heating up, not cooling down. Its been getting progressively worse, not better for years.

Remember, a nuclear attack doesn't have to be the only thing that threatens our daily lives. Economic collapse from the stock market by foreign manipulation. An EMP blast in the air to knock out the electrical grid. A chemical attack like those used recently in Syria in a city. Things like these may cause more casualties and chaos then an actual nuclear attack.

The less loss of lives and the more prepared people are the better. Hence the point of this thread. To get people talking and reasonably prepared for something that looks like it will happen but hopefully never will. I really wish WWI and WWII did not happen either and that those were just "possibilities". Things are eerily similar now to how they were just before WWI and WWII.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Anywhere you go will already be occupied. Texas is almost all private land and most of it is occupied

Old 04-06-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Anywhere you go will already be occupied. Texas is almost all private land and most of it is occupied
There is tons of open space in Texas. Question are, do those areas have good farming land, close to drinkable water and some reasonable natural shelter like caves?

Water, shelter and food are the priorities. In that order.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:17 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
There is tons of open space in Texas. Question are, do those areas have good farming land, close to drinkable water and some reasonable natural shelter like caves?

Water, shelter and food are the priorities. In that order.
As mentioned, that "tons of open space" in Texas is privately owned - and most of those owners are heavily armed. City dwellers who try to take it will not fare so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin