U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:28 PM

63 posts, read 234,000 times

Advertisements

We are looking for the house with the swimming pool since our kids love swimming. There are not many in the our price range. Can any one shed some light about putting an new pool in either Steiner Ranch or River Place? Is it feasible for the homeowner to request a pool put in the backyeard? Any restriction for either community? So far, there two communities are on my top list and I would like to find out the pool option before we purchase a house in April/May. Thanks a lot!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:27 PM

575 posts, read 2,409,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabebe View Post
We are looking for the house with the swimming pool since our kids love swimming. There are not many in the our price range. Can any one shed some light about putting an new pool in either Steiner Ranch or River Place? Is it feasible for the homeowner to request a pool put in the backyeard? Any restriction for either community? So far, there two communities are on my top list and I would like to find out the pool option before we purchase a house in April/May. Thanks a lot!!!
Either association (HOA) will have architectural guidelines you will have to follow. One good part is you will know that you will not be allowed to violate setback lines, etc. Also, both SR and RP will have lots of rock that will have to jack hammered and excavated, but it is definitely doable.

There is a good "pool" thread on the board that you should check out since it does include some good tips and even some word of mouth referrals for local pool contractors.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 PM

1,589 posts, read 4,406,821 times
I can recommend a membership to the River Place country club..$120 per month and it includes a bunch of stuff like the usage of a nice pool the River Place HOA is tough, but it can be done as three of our neighbors have pools, and one of those was put in about a year ago.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:46 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,395,509 times
inground gunite pools about 50K w/o meeting any rocks below. If dozer meets rock = CHA-CHING!!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
I can recommend a membership to the River Place country club..$120 per month and it includes a bunch of stuff like the usage of a nice pool the River Place HOA is tough, but it can be done as three of our neighbors have pools, and one of those was put in about a year ago.
Waste of money. I enjoy having my pool and w/o ladies eye-ballin my speedo's and the husbands showing envy. -- Ok , joking about the speedo's.

Plus who wants to be at a pools w/ loud kids all over and knowing they pee in them. Then for your eyes and skin fill itchy w/ over fill on chlorine

BLAH!!

** note: I do have kids and they are enough. Its great to have your own pool. For what you pay a month, why not own. Plus the beauty of looking in your own backyard for escape to PARADISE Lovly!!

My pool is at 65 degrees right now. Can't wait to 85 then 90 auhhhhh

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Waste of money. I enjoy having my pool and w/o ladies eye-ballin my speedo's and the husbands showing envy. -- Ok , joking about the speedo's.

Plus who wants to be at a pools w/ loud kids all over and knowing they pee in them. Then for your eyes and skin fill itchy w/ over fill on chlorine

BLAH!!

** note: I do have kids and they are enough. Its great to have your own pool. For what you pay a month, why not own. Plus the beauty of looking in your own backyard for escape to PARADISE Lovly!!

My pool is at 65 degrees right now. Can't wait to 85 then 90 auhhhhh
Thongs...not Speedos .

Actually a family a few houses from us built a nice pool (zero edge) 18 mths ago and unfortuately during on of our major rain storms last year their new pool washed away. Surely bad luck, and a lousy thing to have happen, but it was not something I wanted to experience.
Also, I don't feel like dealing with the pool myself like my parents did and I see my neighbors do. Got better things to do, plus we as a family enjoy meeting folks around the club pool.. But then we are all different right

Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
inground gunite pools about 50K w/o meeting any rocks below. If dozer meets rock = CHA-CHING!!
I think both Steiner and River Place are DOZER areas

Old 03-02-2008, 11:40 PM

ANyone gets a pool. Best investment and easy maintenance is to get a SWG/Salt water generator. That machine producing your chlorine and keeping it level alone will kill all the germs in the pool. It really made about 90% of my life owning a pool so much easier. I feel for pool owners who run chlorine pool w/o the SWG. Its' not the 70's, 80's or 90's anymore. The pool boy would hate your for owning SWG!!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,063,980 times
Sputnik (my next door neighbor, BTW ) is right on all fronts as far as building a pool in River Place. As long as you follow the architectural guidelines and do not violate any setbacks, it is not a problem. Your main concern in RP will be to find a lot that can accept a pool so as to minimize your expense. As you probably know a lot of the lots in RP are steep hillside lots and that can make the pool a lot more expensive to build.

We have a pool in our yard and love having it...but we also use the country club pool to meet up with friends, etc.

You should also consider trying to find a home that already has a pool. Since you're moving in the April/May timeframe, that helps considerably as that is when inventories in RP tend to be at their highest so you have more homes to pick from. I actually have a friend who may be selling her house and relocating out of state right around then that already has a great pool and hot tub...if you're interested PM me. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 PM

8,977 posts, read 16,367,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Thongs...not Speedos .
Reminds me of a few years back when our condo complex banned thongs at the pool. Older folks couldn't figure out why they were no longer allowed to wear their flip-flops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: