Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:53 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of cold weather. I like it when there are some warm days interspersed with the normal range of low temps for Austin. I can generally handle the heat, although by September I'm usually ready for some less hot days. But this winter is crazy! Record highs today, the trees on my block are budding out, and I'm a little nervous that if its this hot this early that we are in for a scorching long summer. My "winter" closet of sweaters and turtlenecks is being ditched for capris and short-sleeved shirts.

I've lived in Central Texas for almost 40 years now and I don't remember a winter quite as mild as this one. I am almost hoping for a few more cold fronts in the next few weeks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 02:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,024 times
I'm with you.

I could use a few more weeks before everything starts growing like crazy!

Old 02-07-2017, 03:50 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Just give it time...

There is a big Pacific Storm system hitting California right now. It will be here by Monday with a strong cold front, temps will not get out of the 50's and heavy rain is expected.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:57 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Just give it time...

There is a big Pacific Storm system hitting California right now. It will be here by Monday with a strong cold front, temps will not get out of the 50's and heavy rain is expected.
That isn't what we need unless one is in the firewood business. We need a real live cold snap or two to set the bugs straight and give the plants that mild shock that benefits them.

I won't mind a couple of days of rain and the 50s as long as we get some more warm biking weather, preferably on Saturdays.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:02 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
That isn't what we need unless one is in the firewood business. We need a real live cold snap or two to set the bugs straight and give the plants that mild shock that benefits them.

I won't mind a couple of days of rain and the 50s as long as we get some more warm biking weather, preferably on Saturdays.
Don't worry, it will be in the 80's this weekend, very nice before the cold front gets here

Old 02-07-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Just give it time...

That's good to know. I haven't been able to watch the long range forecast. We need the rain and I'll be OK with the cooler temps for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

Don't forget we had those two really cold spells - kind of odd since the rest of the winter has been so warm - but those nights in the 20's should have done the trick.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:04 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Sorry, loving it - I am grilling out back while the kids are riding scooters up and down the street (in flip-flops and skirts). Don't even have to close the back door as I go in and out .

Old 02-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Sorry, loving it - I am grilling out back while the kids are riding scooters up and down the street (in flip-flops and skirts). Don't even have to close the back door as I go in and out .
Oh, don't get me wrong- I am loving it too! Especially after those few years we had where it was too cold. Just worried that it seems so out of the norm.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:46 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I love the warm to hot weather in winter time.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:16 PM

1,781 posts, read 955,332 times
My grandfather always said never plant anything before Easter because there is bound to be a very cold snap. I think he was right. My son's birthday is April 7th and it is often right around Easter. When he was turning 4 we planned a party at our local park because the weather had been in the 70s. Right before the party a cold front swept in and I had to email everyone that the party would be at our house instead. It was in the mid 30s and we had the fireplace roaring. It was crazy! Yes, this erratic weather is annoying as all get out! My grass is so confused! Part of it is greening up and the rest is winter brown. Not attractive at all. I wish it would just make up its mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: