Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:04 PM

436 posts, read 570,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBull View Post
I agree. Hipsters are the bane of this city. It's ironic that in trying to be cool and different with their trite "hipness" they've killed the true Austin vibe.
My wife says that the "Austin Vibe" died with Leslie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 01:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
I wouldn't even say it's hipster anymore as much as "scenester" or "yipster" aka yuppie hipster, and "techie". I saw way more of that old school slacker hipster life in Portland. Austin reminded me more of the Bay Area like San Jose.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:15 PM

404 posts, read 712,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
My wife says that the "Austin Vibe" died with Leslie.

ok, seriously this guy was not a treasure of any kind. the first time i saw him he was passed out drunk at at pizza joint off the strip on 6th. a cross dressing drunk guy... that's what people look to for the core of original Austin. OK i'll give him (her) points for courage and pushing the conservatives into an uncomfortable place... but I say SRV and Willie are the Austin icons, and they are both a part of its past more or less. yes hipsters suck, but the original 'weird' Austin vibe was from actual hippies - i.e. Eeyores Birthday Party type. these free love/share/ low cost of living types either moved away from price or preference. I would image that downtown Austin is still appealing to a hippy for a day or two.

Bottom line is that its a cut throat city with lots of great things, but the past is gone. I moved to San Marcos for a while in a failed attempt to escape ATX but the job prospects were atrocious. I came back in 2016 and made good money, now i'm fixing to leave for good.

many threads about this topic on CD. I started one in 2011, and i'm still here (wow coming up on 7 years). I have no regrets, Austin is a great place no matter how you look at it.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:04 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
i think denver should be #1 for this list, it's not my favorite city but for this list it would be the more appropriate choice. To me denver is a real city, with real amenities, and natural beauty.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:05 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,076,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Austin is more of the outdoorsy, sit at outdoor bar drinking beer and eating BBQ and listening to live music kind of place. You wear shorts, t-shirts, and sandals regardless of sex. Now and then women may wear a summer dress.

Houston is more of the eat indoors in A/C at a wonderful ethnic restaurant. Men wear jeans and button up short-sleeve shirt, women wear jeans and 3/4 sleeved shirt.

Dallas is more of eating indoors in A/C at a fancy chain restaurant. Men wear slacks and button up long-sleeved shirt with sleeves rolled up 1/4 or a golf shirt in the summer. Women wear either summer dresses or dresses with sweater in the winter.
Mmmmhmmm... Good points.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
ok, seriously this guy was not a treasure of any kind. the first time i saw him he was passed out drunk at at pizza joint off the strip on 6th. a cross dressing drunk guy... that's what people look to for the core of original Austin. OK i'll give him (her) points for courage and pushing the conservatives into an uncomfortable place... but I say SRV and Willie are the Austin icons, and they are both a part of its past more or less. yes hipsters suck, but the original 'weird' Austin vibe was from actual hippies - i.e. Eeyores Birthday Party type. these free love/share/ low cost of living types either moved away from price or preference. I would image that downtown Austin is still appealing to a hippy for a day or two.

Bottom line is that its a cut throat city with lots of great things, but the past is gone. I moved to San Marcos for a while in a failed attempt to escape ATX but the job prospects were atrocious. I came back in 2016 and made good money, now i'm fixing to leave for good.

many threads about this topic on CD. I started one in 2011, and i'm still here (wow coming up on 7 years). I have no regrets, Austin is a great place no matter how you look at it.
Whatever happened to the dumpster diving post grunge slacker like in Reality Bites? I know that took place in Houston and was more about Gen X but Ethan Hawke was the proto-hipster I knew from the early 2000s. Le Tigre listening, anti-war protesting, Green Party voting, Goodwill shopping type of people.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:40 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Whatever happened to the dumpster diving post grunge slacker like in Reality Bites? I know that took place in Houston and was more about Gen X but Ethan Hawke was the proto-hipster I knew from the early 2000s. Le Tigre listening, anti-war protesting, Green Party voting, Goodwill shopping type of people.
Most of them grew up and got real jobs and stopped whining about everything existential.

It happens.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Most of them grew up and got real jobs and stopped whining about everything existential.

It happens.
LOL, or they've turned into scenesters or yuppie hipsters. They now vote establishment Democrat.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 598 times
How do I start my own post? New to this

Old 02-22-2017, 10:45 AM

You're doing fine. Keep doing what you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin