Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
That's exactly what they look like to me too. There is an especially hideous apartment complex at 620 (north side) & 45 that is in the final stages of completion. All will be ghettos in 20 or so years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
That's a low income complex that everyone in Austin cries about wanting.
Yep, that area is about to experience some real changes this year(in terms of population...infrastructure changes are already well under way). IF the economy slumps, it could be trouble. I hope the area Longhorns have been re-homed...we saw at least a half-dozen on Rutledge Spur a few months back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 01:50 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
I believe that the two odious examples in the OP, are under the aegis of INTERNATIONAL STYLE MODERN.

This is the perpetually-"correct", ideologically comme-il-faut choice of Architecture's Reigning Orthodoxy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._(architecture)

Basically, a no-talent architect came up with a book or two, telling other no-talent architects how to flawlessly design boring boxes.

And, as with all other things that are cheap to conceptualize, and cheap to make (thus highly profitable for the designers and the makers and the brokers), AN IDEOLOGY AROSE, TO JUSTIFY AND ENSHRINE the style.

You know who's good at dreaming-up ideologies (I'm one...). Well, you have US to thank for International Style Architecture, just as you have US to thank for Modern Art, and Communism.

You're Welcome!

(I don't own a single International Style building. All of MINE are are in "cheesy", and ideologically incorrect pre-Modern historic styles, which is why I don't even HAVE "vacancy rates" in ANY of them. I just have waiting lists...)

Old 03-05-2017, 03:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
That's a low income complex that everyone in Austin cries about wanting.
Not everyone.

And low income housing doesn't have to look that ugly.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:20 PM

169 posts, read 186,882 times
Doesn't look ugly to me at all.

It's funny to see people argue about subjective matters as if it's a scientific fact.

There's no "horrible time for architecture." Such a concept doesn't exist outside of your personal perspective.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:07 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I believe that the two odious examples in the OP, are under the aegis of INTERNATIONAL STYLE MODERN.

This is the perpetually-"correct", ideologically comme-il-faut choice of Architecture's Reigning Orthodoxy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._(architecture)

Basically, a no-talent architect came up with a book or two, telling other no-talent architects how to flawlessly design boring boxes.

And, as with all other things that are cheap to conceptualize, and cheap to make (thus highly profitable for the designers and the makers and the brokers), AN IDEOLOGY AROSE, TO JUSTIFY AND ENSHRINE the style.

You know who's good at dreaming-up ideologies (I'm one...). Well, you have US to thank for International Style Architecture, just as you have US to thank for Modern Art, and Communism.

You're Welcome!

(I don't own a single International Style building. All of MINE are are in "cheesy", and ideologically incorrect pre-Modern historic styles, which is why I don't even HAVE "vacancy rates" in ANY of them. I just have waiting lists...)
This lady knows.

Few architects design buildings in "traditional styles" these days. At some point in the early 20th century, it was decided (by whom?) that "traditional" styles were "over". The irony is that "International Style" architecture is now nearly 100 years old, yet architects continue to treat it and it's minor "updates" as the "avant-garde".

The result is that everywhere is everywhere and also nowhere at the same time. It has served (deliberately?) to sever us all from tradition (and, in my humble opinion, beauty).

My current city is building the same metal-clad boxes, but identifying them as "Ozark Modern", and other meaningless terms. The unifying characteristics with all iterations of this "style" are that the buildings are almost universally cheap, bereft of real masonry, and do not require the architect to draw any lines which aren't straight.

Tell me, without google searching, what this building is used for? The architect is "world renowned" and a bit of a local celebrity.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 PM

404 posts, read 712,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Does that mean my collection of clip-on ties from the '70s & '80s is back in style again?

WHAT YEAR IS IT

Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
WHAT YEAR IS IT
Well they didn't have bottled water in the 1970's and 1980's so I'd say this is sometime in the 2010's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin