U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
djw djw started this thread

951 posts, read 2,717,412 times

Advertisements

Hi Austin folks!
I'm driving up from San Antonio to do some shopping at REI and wanted your advice on which store to go to (I found two in Austin on the REI website) and what else to do for the day. I've never been beyond the airport. What are your suggestions for eating and other stuff near either of the stores? Will have two 13yo boys in tow.

TiA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 05:40 PM

10,152 posts, read 18,629,358 times
I've been to the Arboretum (N Austin) store many times, but the other store is in downtown -- that would probably be the cooler one to visit. You could walk to Whole Foods, 6th street, warehouse district, etc. There will probably be something going on at the convention center, too.

If you are coming this weekend, there is an open house at the Long Performing arts center (it's just been opened) -- free music, but you have to get tickets on line or something. That's just a short drive (or longer walk) over the bridge to the south side of the river. Once you are down there, you could walk the town lake trail or rent a canoe at Zilker and paddle around Ladybird lake.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 PM

701 posts, read 2,368,353 times
SXSW is Mar. 7-16 so you'll probably need to consider that.

I'm pretty sure the REI at the Arboretum is near Whole Foods and you can grab something to eat there. You could get Amy's ice cream at the Arboretum and hang out there for a bit. Not too long if your boys don't like to shop.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM

Thanks!
What's SXSW?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 PM

701 posts, read 2,368,353 times
It's a combo film/interactive/music festival. There are events throughout Austin but mainly at the convention center and its environs.
south by southwest festivals + conferences

So there could be an issue with traffic.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Yes, as Phisch mentioned the North REI is right next to a Whole Foods, too.

The downtown REI is next to the flagship Whole Foods, though, which is really a neat place to visit at least once. There is an Amy's Ice cream there, too -- right across the street at 6th and Lamar (in the Waterloo Records shopping center)... hmm.. coincidence?

SXSW will mean a lot of people on the street, restaurants and hotels will be full, and some clubs will require a wristband or high cover. If you are just driving in for the day, it probably shouldn't deter you.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 AM

746 posts, read 3,608,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
Thanks!
What's SXSW?
My God...........please, someone, help this kind person here! Kidding....I got thrown off the first time I saw that too. Why, its a X for "by", in south by southwest, the big music bash....!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM

Obviously I'm not from 'round here!
Thanks for the insight. I googled sxsw and got tons of info. Doesn't get much mainstream attention in this area I guess! May actually be another good reason to make the trip this weekend. Though I did promise the kids some hiking at some point during the day!

So, the REI at the Arboretum is the one on the North side, right?

Thanks for all the info!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM

658 posts, read 1,906,458 times
***Why, its a X for "by" ***

I guess it is because we all know X means "by" when you see a truck is a 4X4.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
So, the REI at the Arboretum is the one on the North side, right?

Thanks for all the info!
Yep, North side store. I'm suprised SXSW doesn't get more mention in San Antonio, but I suppose they have their own entertainment to talk about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin