Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:31 PM

29 posts, read 35,525 times

Advertisements

So not even five months after our last accident, we had another one today morning.

My husband was driving the car, I was in passenger seat - we hit a deer on our way to work. It was alive but hurt (the guilt is already killing me!). I feel sooo sorry for the poor thing.

Its a brand new car we purchased in Jan after our last car was totaled. We updated our insurance (Geico) about our new car only last weekend (Our bad - we thought the dealer would update insurance directly as he took all of our information -its our first time buying a new car ). I know we should have update Geico as soon as we bought it but its not like we updated them only after the incident. We did it last weekend.

Now Geico says since we did not update them as soon as we bought the car, they will have to check back to see if they will cover us this time. I am not sure how it works. Can they say that? What are our options if they say they will not cover it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 02:17 PM

15,234 posts, read 35,421,260 times
Might be a wait and see type thing - if they say the will cover it, then no problems. If they won't, it might be lawyer time? If they have taken your money and issued a contract based on the new car (and you answered truthfully in the application documents), I don't see how they can deny you; however, I am not lawyer.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,184,159 times
Timing is on your side it seems, I would wait and see what happens.

It's funny, we moved from Austin (also lived/bought cars in CA and CO) to the Northeast and in NY state you are not allowed to buy a car without adding it your you insurance in the same transaction. I thought it was bizarre at first but now that we're two cars in and have experienced it twice, it makes a lot of sense.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:28 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,741,212 times
With the way your insurance is treating you.....too bad you didn't hit a Gekko instead of a deer.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Might be a wait and see type thing - if they say the will cover it, then no problems. If they won't, it might be lawyer time? If they have taken your money and issued a contract based on the new car (and you answered truthfully in the application documents), I don't see how they can deny you; however, I am not lawyer.
Thanks, yes we answered everything as-is. Fingers crossed now!

Old 03-15-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Timing is on your side it seems, I would wait and see what happens.

It's funny, we moved from Austin (also lived/bought cars in CA and CO) to the Northeast and in NY state you are not allowed to buy a car without adding it your you insurance in the same transaction. I thought it was bizarre at first but now that we're two cars in and have experienced it twice, it makes a lot of sense.
Yes, makes complete sense to me now.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
With the way your insurance is treating you.....too bad you didn't hit a Gekko instead of a deer.
Tell me about it, unfortunately this is the second time we are dealing with our insurance and in past 6 months

Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM

436 posts, read 565,503 times
First you are in Texas so get the gun out of your glove compartment and put the deer out of its misery. No really, there is no reason for the thing to suffer and this kind of thing happens all the time on Texas roads so dont feel bad OP. Next we will need a separate thread on proper cleaning and butchering techniques in the field using what you are carrying in your purse. Followed by a variety of slow cooker recipe's. You are in Texas so this will be a long thread.

As for insurance...I cant help you Something similar happened to a buddy and his motorcycle a few years ago and full coverage was suddenly not full coverage. Lucky for him I knew how to sling a mean glob of bondo and my way around an airbrush.

Be thankful it was only a deer and not a hog. Cause hogs can get downright mean when you broadside them with a vehicle.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 AM

So we finally got the insurance to get things sorted for us (tagging them on twitter helped immensely! Thing s you have to do get whats legally due.)

In a rental right now while the car is at a bodyshop.

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,035,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
First you are in Texas so get the gun out of your glove compartment and put the deer out of its misery. No really, there is no reason for the thing to suffer and this kind of thing happens all the time on Texas roads so dont feel bad OP. Next we will need a separate thread on proper cleaning and butchering techniques in the field using what you are carrying in your purse. Followed by a variety of slow cooker recipe's. You are in Texas so this will be a long thread.

As for insurance...I cant help you Something similar happened to a buddy and his motorcycle a few years ago and full coverage was suddenly not full coverage. Lucky for him I knew how to sling a mean glob of bondo and my way around an airbrush.

Be thankful it was only a deer and not a hog. Cause hogs can get downright mean when you broadside them with a vehicle.
unfortunately you cannot keep roadkill deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin