Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:38 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times

Advertisements

Never have stepped foot in the place, however one of my sons goes to all the big races. he has some reserved seats for F1.

We thought there might be some development in the area as it occurs around the NASCAR tracks, but not a darn thing has been built so far as I can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 08:23 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Have been to two concerts there, and it is a pretty dang nice amphitheater and probably the most fun 'large' venue in town (or just outside town).

Wife has done some cycling events there, kind of like a high-dollar veloway, and had lots of fun.

Not a racing fan, though, so have not and likely will not see a race there.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:37 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
We love going to concerts there. The festival atmosphere and room to play games on the grass outside the stage area, the amount of concessions, lots of bathrooms and great sound make it a very, very fun time.

We spring for a $25 parking pass which allows you parking right outside the gate. We carpool with friends and party in the parking lot before the show. Makes walking in and out on a blazing July or August day a bit more tolerable.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,088 times
Was lucky to go to F1 twice, and had corporate sponsors pay for my admission.

Many of the events are very corporate oriented, and cost $$$$ for the average joe to take a family to.

I would not go to F1 unless someone else was paying. Too expensive.

Seen a couple concerts there, it was fine. Found concert concessions and parking to be too expensive. Not my favorite venue to see a concert outdoors. I far prefer the Cynthia Woods Pavilion in the Woodlands over Austin 360. Nicer venue, covered tent seating, open air.

My wife and I would rather spend a night in the Woodlands than go to south austin.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:48 AM

189 posts, read 195,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
About the heat:

One thing that a lot of transplants from cooler areas don't realize is how to dress for heat. White clothing, linen or quick dry instead of cotton, a wide brimmed cap. I usually wear white linen pants instead of shorts so when I'm sitting down for hours I don't get sunburned on my legs. The pants are actually cooler than shorts as they are a special linen brand made in the Middle East. My shirt is a quick dry that has a collar and all, there's no telling it's a quick dry just from looking at it.

The way that some people dress would be akin to watching a Packers game at Lambeau in a light sweater in January. They are just clueless, but bless their heart!
I agree I am going to be outside on a long hot day. I'm wearing loose kahki type pants. Not shorts! Also short sleeve shirts that go down to elbows. Not shoulders. Protection from burning too. Just need sunscreen for head (not as much with a hat) and forearms.

I really think you guys should check out sports cars at COTA. The best racing is from them especially the GT cars. IMSA is going to be there soon and there is a real dog fight going on right now among Ferrari, Corvette, Ford GT, Porsche, and BMW. GTD has even more makes like Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, and Audi involved.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,046,958 times
Quote:
About the heat:

One thing that a lot of transplants from cooler areas don't realize is how to dress for heat. White clothing, linen or quick dry instead of cotton, a wide brimmed cap. I usually wear white linen pants instead of shorts so when I'm sitting down for hours I don't get sunburned on my legs. The pants are actually cooler than shorts as they are a special linen brand made in the Middle East. My shirt is a quick dry that has a collar and all, there's no telling it's a quick dry just from looking at it.

The way that some people dress would be akin to watching a Packers game at Lambeau in a light sweater in January. They are just clueless, but bless their heart!
They're not clueless at Lambeau - they're intoxicated!

Love the post though. Most people don't know how to dress for the heat/cold and it makes a far more miserable experience than necessary.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I agree I am going to be outside on a long hot day. I'm wearing loose kahki type pants. Not shorts! Also short sleeve shirts that go down to elbows. Not shoulders. Protection from burning too. Just need sunscreen for head (not as much with a hat) and forearms.

I really think you guys should check out sports cars at COTA. The best racing is from them especially the GT cars. IMSA is going to be there soon and there is a real dog fight going on right now among Ferrari, Corvette, Ford GT, Porsche, and BMW. GTD has even more makes like Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, and Audi involved.
My only thing is that if I put sunscreen on my face it goes into my eyes so I usually just cover forehead, cheeks, and nose. Then the wide brimmed cap does the rest.

Always short-sleeved shirts but never tank tops or muscle shirts. I usually don't need sunscreen on my forearms. I don't think I've ever remembered them getting burned. But I'll still lather them up to be safe, especially for 3+ hours in the sun.

I catch the Porsche races each year during F1 so I would probably like some of the other races. But it doesn't excite me as much as F1. The sound of those cars makes my adrenaline pump. I also like the international vibe and the women are such a refreshing change from the types I meet in Austin (nothing wrong with them but I like variety). This year I chatted up with a UK gal and her female friend. Very interesting conversation.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:04 PM

169 posts, read 186,651 times
Quote:
I go yearly for F1, very nice!
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you usually pay for tickets, and what location do you think is best in terms of price for value?

Old 03-28-2017, 07:26 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKneedep View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you usually pay for tickets, and what location do you think is best in terms of price for value?
I usually sit around Turn 9. I tried the Grandstand one year and while the facilities are better (A/C foodbooths, A/C bathrooms), I found you couldn't really enjoy the race, the view is limited.

I find Turn 9 is great, you get to see most of the track, Turns 7 - 11 are viewable and a good view of the long stretch. Then, you are in a great position to see the concert after the race. There are private bathrooms (used to be just port a potties but they added a bathroom facility) and a handful of very crowded food stands. I just get the food and then bring into the stands to eat.

The price has varied greatly - it ain't cheap. I shop around on various sites like stubhub and sometimes I can get a great deal, other times not so much.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:14 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Best value: general admission ticket. T1 and the esses in T3-6 have great concessions and viewing areas, as does the back side of the Grand Plaza. In a full day you can easily make your way all around the track and plunk down wherever and whenever you like. We use lightweight backpack chairs and bring a small umbrella for the hottest part of the day. When you're sitting on a grassy hill there the umbrella doesn't obscure the view of anyone behind you. We rarely sit in the grandstands because it's hotter up there and we like to diversify our view throughout the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin