Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times

Advertisements

Ellen troxclair posted this article. I tend to agree with the sentiment. Your value could go up and your tax could stay the same, if government spending stayed the same.

Quote:
The property tax system in Texas is designed to ensure that elected officials who are accountable to the people determine how much tax you pay. Each year the various school boards, city councils, commissioners' courts, and other governing bodies adopt tax rates that will increase revenue, decrease revenue, or keep revenue the same as the previous year. The tax rates adopted by local elected officials absolutely determine the amount of taxes that appear on your tax statement.

The widely held notion that property value drives taxes, that if value goes up taxes will automatically go up, is and has always been a myth. Property value is inert; it doesn't drive anything. Rather, it's what is taxed. Government spending drives taxes. Government spending drives tax increases. It is the only thing that does and the only thing that ever has.
Don't blame the appraisal district for your property taxes | Commentary | Dallas News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Pretty much true if you take Robin Hood out of it - basically, our school taxes are driven by the needs of our schools and schools elsewhere in the state :/.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Our taxes have doubled since we bought our house 12 years ago. The value has certainly gone up, but not close to doubled.
You remember all those "programs" that looked SO good when your city council proposed them? Well, who do you think ends up PAYING for them?

Folks, you have no one to blame but yourselves - every time the city comes up with a new program that sounds so wonderful, and "only costs each homeowner pennies", remember all the OTHER programs they've added, as well. At SOME point, you have to tell them that their Sugar Daddy/Mommy is TAPPED OUT.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,979,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You remember all those "programs" that looked SO good when your city council proposed them? Well, who do you think ends up PAYING for them?

Folks, you have no one to blame but yourselves - every time the city comes up with a new program that sounds so wonderful, and "only costs each homeowner pennies", remember all the OTHER programs they've added, as well. At SOME point, you have to tell them that their Sugar Daddy/Mommy is TAPPED OUT.
Except, as continually mentioned, the city portion of the tax bill is a small, small minority of the tax bill.

20% for Austin.

It's the schools.

The county deserves a special dishonorable mention as well. The growth in County taxes is horrendous. Especially since county responsibilities are continually _decreasing_ (unincorporated land is continually annexed and taken over by cities).

Old 04-05-2017, 12:44 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
It's the schools.
And 25% (and growing) of that tax is going outside of the area.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 11,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
But Wilco is almost impossible to fight on the value.
I did successfully, and easily, get them to drop the appraised value when I bought my current home a few years ago. But I brought proof of what I actually paid for the house ten months before, and they brought it down about 10% to come within what I thought was a reasonably close (for almost one year on) approximation of what I paid.

I haven’t tried since; while I think the actual appraised value is high, the 10%-limited value is pretty close, so I don’t think there’s a benefit to fighting it.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Just got ours up here in WilCo(Austin)...10% increase exactly to the dollar First person to offer that amount for our townhouse GETS it!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:08 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
In 15 years our property has more than doubled in value, almost tripled according to TCAD! We'd be toast without homestead and the 10% cap.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Just got ours up here in WilCo(Austin)...10% increase exactly to the dollar First person to offer that amount for our townhouse GETS it!
I just got mine from WilCo too. About 10% increase on both. One I have for sale, and the increased value is still below the contract price though.

Steve

Old 04-05-2017, 07:39 PM

716 posts, read 539,300 times
if you think that its the schools - then you should get on the school boards - go to the meetings and see where the money is going -- we have seen superintendents in so calif get paid 300k - we have seen boards spend bond money on electronic signs so they dont have to go out and put plastic letters announcing open house - we have seen them spend money on covered car ports
or adding so many computer labs they go unused -

Citizens control the school boards- they spender money - most are afraid to stand up to the teacher unions and bs that comes from that - if you want your money spent in a prudent manned get involved - kick their butts out - elect ones who are not afraid of the unions and BS tactics they use- to allow the schools districts to get this much money year over year is a bad as allowing cities to live off federal grants - stand up for you money - its yours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin