Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Unless you actually counted, wrote it down, and made sure you had a large enough sample size, your anecdotes are worthless.
Stop trolling. Most of the content on this forum consists of observations about cultures

Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
And they usually devolve like this one into back & forth smack talk.
He said she said I said, sayeth all.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:55 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
And they usually devolve like this one into back & forth smack talk.
He said she said I said, sayeth all.
So it is when a thread title is a presumptive subjective assertion/judgement.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:10 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times

Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
So how come black people will almost always smile, but white people almost always won't? You're saying what different ethnicities do is somehow my fault?
I am white and I always smile if someone smiles at me. When I do a jog around our neighborhood as I pass other joggers/runners/walkers I put up my hand as if to say howdy and smile and nod. About half the people return the gesture, half act as if they don't see me. When we moved to the neighborhood over 8 years ago it was closer to 80/20 with 80 acknowledging the greeting. So I agree, Austin has become less 'friendly' - at least my neighborhood has, in the past decade. But I don't think it's race related. Could be an influx of people from more 'reserved' geographic areas.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:23 PM

152 posts, read 196,432 times
Too many California transplants.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:48 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Stop trolling. Most of the content on this forum consists of observations about cultures
And maybe your anecdotal evidence is filtered through your preconceived biases and someone else may have the exact opposite experience. Whatever it is not a scientific observation.

Living in the Holly neighborhood unfortunately you run into people like this occasionally. Worst that no eye contact at all is being stared down by someone who looks like they sold their soul. I have also learned to avoid eye contact with anyone displaying a Santa Muerte icon as they will usually give you a hateful look.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:20 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
And maybe your anecdotal evidence is filtered through your preconceived biases and someone else may have the exact opposite experience. Whatever it is not a scientific observation.

Living in the Holly neighborhood unfortunately you run into people like this occasionally. Worst that no eye contact at all is being stared down by someone who looks like they sold their soul. I have also learned to avoid eye contact with anyone displaying a Santa Muerte icon as they will usually give you a hateful look.
I didn't have any bias against the supposedly transplanted Austin whites. I wasn't expecting the cold shoulder from them. I moved back to Austin and experienced it in a very obvious way, and so have others.

The standard you are setting would make any experience invalid, unless everyone wears body cameras

Old 04-30-2017, 11:42 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
I just moved back to Austin a year ago after a decade in other cities, and one big culture shock has been that people don't make eye contact and smile. What I've come to realize is that it seems to be race related-- Anglo/Northern Euro people don't make eye contact and smile, while Blacks and Hispanics do. I'm mixed race mostly South Asian.

Is it a white cultural artifact that I didn't notice when I lived in Austin before? Is it negative sentiment toward my ethnic group related to the recently booming Indian population?

I've noticed the same trend in suburbs of Houston, but not in rural areas which is the opposite of what you'd expect. Rural whites, especially older ones are very likely to make eye contact and smile, and even ask how you're doing.

What's going on here? Has anybody else noticed this?
...because they're not your friend. Move on.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:38 PM

457 posts, read 661,105 times
Quote:
I just moved back to Austin a year ago after a decade in other cities, and one big culture shock has been that people don't make eye contact and smile. What I've come to realize is that it seems to be race related-- Anglo/Northern Euro people don't make eye contact and smile, while Blacks and Hispanics do. I'm mixed race mostly South Asian.

Is it a white cultural artifact that I didn't notice when I lived in Austin before? Is it negative sentiment toward my ethnic group related to the recently booming Indian population?

I've noticed the same trend in suburbs of Houston, but not in rural areas which is the opposite of what you'd expect. Rural whites, especially older ones are very likely to make eye contact and smile, and even ask how you're doing.

What's going on here? Has anybody else noticed this?

Most probably the non-smiling/no eye contact types you comment on are recent arrivals from out of state...Austin is full of 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin