Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:01 AM

404 posts, read 712,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basse bud View Post
most probably the non-smiling/no eye contact types you comment on are recent arrivals from out of state...austin is full of 'em!
this

Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 AM

1,062 posts, read 979,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
this
I've seen posts on this forum about how most people moving to Austin are from within Texas... But do we know what percentage of current Austin residents are from out of state?

Old 06-05-2017, 07:12 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5B123A01110 View Post
Austinites don't really care about you. Especially if you are not from there. If you are not from there they have this saying of just leave if you don't like it. Ur looked upon as being an outsider.
When in Rome...

Old 06-06-2017, 03:36 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
The gay hotel clerk in Austin sure made eye contact with me. Even gave me his business card and pointed out his e-mail address. My flashy wedding ring did not deter his Texas friendliness.
"Honey, come see me after work and I'll give you a free massage in the spa!"

You: "WTF?"

Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 PM

35 posts, read 35,525 times
I wondered about the eye contact thing as well. So, I googled it last year and found an article about it. Unfortunately I can't find it now. But some sort of study was done and if I recall correctly it came down to the bigger the city the less eye contact there was. Considering how many people live in this area now (1.8 million or so?) it's no surprise. I've lived here 18 years and it is still irritating. I do think there's a little more to it than just the amount of people that live here though.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:09 PM

731 posts, read 678,101 times
The unfriendliness you notice is from all the damn yankees moving to Texas. They do not know what Drive Friendly means. Mostly, the only real Texas culture left is in far West Texas. I am talking about the Caballero culture, the gentlemanliness of real cowboys, and the manners of the Southern Lady. These new people have no clue. As we say Where from up north are you from? Austin is a blue demo island in a sea of red.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 PM

420 posts, read 402,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
The unfriendliness you notice is from all the damn yankees moving to Texas. They do not know what Drive Friendly means. Mostly, the only real Texas culture left is in far West Texas. I am talking about the Caballero culture, the gentlemanliness of real cowboys, and the manners of the Southern Lady. These new people have no clue. As we say Where from up north are you from? Austin is a blue demo island in a sea of red.
You're from the southern Oregon coast. Bye Felicia.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:42 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
What is this, 1865? Go back from whence ye came, interloper!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:55 AM

60 posts, read 54,039 times
Quote:
Now THAT's funny. Drive Friendly, ha. I have been cut off, chastised for parking, honked at, had rude messages written on the dust of my car MORE in the past year since moving to Texas than pretty much my entire driving career put together. Seriously we've had many a discussion in our household on "why" people here drive how they do. Any time I make a moderately aggressive move in the car, my passengers say "done like a true Texan".

However, back to the OP - people smile and wave at me all the time. But where I am from that is the norm, so I have no qualms about smiling and waving first. Or saying hi/good afternoon/lovely weather if I walk close enough. I can't say I'd even notice if someone was super busy and didn't return my greeting, but if they did I would assume they were busy and not that that they were unfriendly.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:42 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
Now THAT's funny. Drive Friendly, ha. I have been cut off, chastised for parking, honked at, had rude messages written on the dust of my car MORE in the past year since moving to Texas than pretty much my entire driving career put together. Seriously we've had many a discussion in our household on "why" people here drive how they do. Any time I make a moderately aggressive move in the car, my passengers say "done like a true Texan".

However, back to the OP - people smile and wave at me all the time. But where I am from that is the norm, so I have no qualms about smiling and waving first. Or saying hi/good afternoon/lovely weather if I walk close enough. I can't say I'd even notice if someone was super busy and didn't return my greeting, but if they did I would assume they were busy and not that that they were unfriendly.
Well golly gee, perhaps you should move back to that shangri la instead staying in a place where you're obviously so abused. I've lived here for many decades and can count the number of times similar things have happened to me, family members and other people I know on one hand. The majority of those were vehicular and came attached to out of state plates. So if this is happening to you so frequently in one year, it's time for some introspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin