Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:43 PM

1,062 posts, read 981,488 times

Advertisements

I just moved back to Austin a year ago after a decade in other cities, and one big culture shock has been that people don't make eye contact and smile. What I've come to realize is that it seems to be race related-- Anglo/Northern Euro people don't make eye contact and smile, while Blacks and Hispanics do. I'm mixed race mostly South Asian.

Is it a white cultural artifact that I didn't notice when I lived in Austin before? Is it negative sentiment toward my ethnic group related to the recently booming Indian population?

I've noticed the same trend in suburbs of Houston, but not in rural areas which is the opposite of what you'd expect. Rural whites, especially older ones are very likely to make eye contact and smile, and even ask how you're doing.

What's going on here? Has anybody else noticed this?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 7,270 times
It's a millennial thing; it knows no race, that parts on you.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallier View Post
It's a millennial thing; it knows no race, that parts on you.
So how come black people will almost always smile, but white people almost always won't? You're saying what different ethnicities do is somehow my fault?

Old 04-04-2017, 07:03 PM

64 posts, read 60,871 times
They're either transplants or resentful natives thinking of you as another one of those transplants.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 PM

570 posts, read 560,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
So how come black people will almost always smile, but white people almost always won't? You're saying what different ethnicities do is somehow my fault?
Not always the case, it just depends on the person and not the race. It could be the people you're running into are having a bad day. I'm white and often smile but people these days especially millennials are just rude.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
I noticed this right when I moved here. In San Antonio I could be running anywhere in town early in the morning and get a "Good morning..." and a wave. On town lake or anywhere else I have run in the mornings I may get one or two good mornings and when I say it I get a weird look. I went back to SA last weekend and almost jumped in shock when i got a "Good morning." I was not expecting that big of a change an hour and a half away....but I'm thinking it's what NoBull said. And fwiw, I'm a millenial.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
Not always the case, it just depends on the person and not the race. It could be the people you're running into are having a bad day. I'm white and often smile but people these days especially millennials are just rude.
You can say "it's about the person and not the race" about anything yet there are clearly many differences between cultures. For example right now I live in an apartment complex with a lot of first generation Chinese. They never make eye contact, and are surprised if I say hello to them. That's due to the culture they're from.

I know of no such phenomenon that is attributed to Anglos/Whites generally. But I can observe it very clearly in my day to day life. I make eye contact and smile at people as a matter of habit, and 95% of whites don't reciprocate. Usually they just don't make eye contact, or they do and then look away very quickly. I'd say about 90% of the time black people will make eye contact and smile or nod. Hispanics tend to react even more warmly, with a big smile, if you smile at them.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I noticed this right when I moved here. In San Antonio I could be running anywhere in town early in the morning and get a "Good morning..." and a wave. On town lake or anywhere else I have run in the mornings I may get one or two good mornings and when I say it I get a weird look. I went back to SA last weekend and almost jumped in shock when i got a "Good morning." I was not expecting that big of a change an hour and a half away....but I'm thinking it's what NoBull said. And fwiw, I'm a millenial.
That happens to me too, when someone smiles back at me I'm surprised and almost don't know what to do, because after a year in Austin I'm used to the "look away".

Old 04-04-2017, 08:53 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
As a group, I've always found Anglo Texans to be among the very friendliest white people -- the upper Midwest is super frosty. And I get greeted in Austin all the time, on the trail, at the supermarket, etc. So I haven't seen much change. I find Austin to be very friendly.

But I do think that commentators here may be right -- transplants and locals reacting to transplants may not be as friendly AND there does seem to be an age component, younger people, even natives like my kids, don't do the eyes and greet to strangers as much as older Texans.

There is a huge cultural component of course, I teach refugees and eye contact during conversations, handshakes, "personal space" are all things that are taught. Many places have conventions similar to ours but it is a hard sell to convince Burmese families that they need to hold eye contact!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 PM

240 posts, read 272,229 times
I still find Austin to be a pretty friendly place, although it gets bigger and bigger. So, I can't really say what is happening in every corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin