Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM

46 posts, read 75,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokemoki View Post
Of course you're allowed to ask questions, as are the people who respond to your posts. This is a public forum, so there will be many back and forth comments, questions, and queries. But please don't look for offense where none is intended. My, are you defensive!

You mention SoCal being rude, and lacking in respect, which you dislike. Well, ageism doesn't go down well in Texas. We like our old, "senile" people. And every Texan knows that they're supposed to politely accept or turn down a gracious invitation of hospitality when its extended to them, rather than ignore it. Perhaps you belong in SoCal more than you realize.
Oh my, fine. You won't admit you were trying to be offensive. I have been fine with everyone's comments even if I didn't agree. You made a comment in which you stated that only liberals are doing the good around you. I was offended by that, so what?

You were calling me "lil gal" and referencing my age so I did it back. You are allowed to but I'm not? I have been extremely kind to everyone else on this thread.

Anyway, this wasn't the point of my question. We will agree to disagree.

I thank you for offering your home to us, very kind but we don't know each other and I doubt you'd want to house 6 adults and 2 babies Who knows, maybe we can meet up and further this conversation. I still want to come check out Austin, regardless if we'd be living in the area.

Have a good day!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:47 AM

79 posts, read 80,669 times
Please reread my post. I didn't write "ONLY" liberals are doing good in Austin. You misinterpreted my words.

"Li'l gal" and "honey" are used as friendly, semi-affectionate terms in Texas. I apologize if these terms offended you. Calling someone "senile" is not friendly by any standards.

I extended the invitation to you and your boyfriend, for we don't have room to house eight people. I hope my invitation didn't startle you. We're friendly in Texas and like to help people, and hospitality is often extended even to strangers. My husband and I put up three English lads during the 2016 SXSW and shuttled them to the festival. They had a great time! We know it's expensive to visit other places. If you ever change your mind, message me.

I do wish you well in your search. That is a sincere sentiment.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:55 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
This post is about half accurate. My comments in Bold in your post below:

Quote:
You appear to be in a bit of a conundrum, OP. You want to live in a small, conservative satellite town of Austin... There are many towns (that are conservative and nearby) that exist.

and drive into Austin proper on weekends to enjoy some "life," as you call it. The problem is,....How is this a "problem"?

many, if not most, of Austin's music venues, clubs, bars, restaurants, coffee shops, interesting little stores, festivals, concerts, parades, and general gaiety are generated and run by the very people you wish to avoid -- liberals. Actually many business owners here in Austin are socially liberal and economically conservative.

......The multitude of parks, preserves, walking trails, bike lanes, and beauty spots -- again, liberals. Actually God (or his non-religious equivalent) is responsible for the Springs, Rivers, Forests etc. A dam built (not by "liberals") in the 50s is responsible for the lakes. Civic leaders from generations past (again, probably not "liberals") are responsible for the Parks & Walking Trails.

(& you can stick your bike lanes that were wedged & shoe horned onto our busy, narrow, city streets....where the sun don't shine).

The insistence on clean air, clean water, and a modicum of zoning -- guess who? It's as though you want to partake of what liberals have worked hard to create and maintain, then go home to your little town and say how terrible liberals are.

The little town outside Austin (where some folks currently happily live) will also have clean air and clean water (but instead of congestion, they'll enjoy new and wide (& proactively built) roads.....and without the silly costly economic decisions that are made on a daily basis in the CoA.

As for the perfect little conservative town ... there aren't any that surround Austin within quite a few miles.

Except for maybe Georgetown, Liberty Hill, Lago Vista, Lockhart, Taylor, Lakeway.... & possibly Bastrop, Elgin, & Wimberly (or are they "purple" now). Further out are the lovely towns of Lampasas, La Grange, Marble Falls, New Braunfels & Smithville.

Yes, there are some that vote mostly Republican, attend church regularly, worship high school football, etc., but many of these towns are now experiencing rampant growth and development and are attracting many new residents, many of whom are liberals. & many of whom are economic conservative and socially moderate. & also a fair amount of economic conservative and socially conservative.

You would be amazed at how many Clinton signs I saw in "conservative" Drippings Springs front yards during the last presidential election. And housing prices in these outlying towns are rising at a staggering rate. Dripping Springs (& RR & CP & Pville etc.) are not county seats and are merely suburbs of Austin & thus are Purple. (imo)

This is not to discourage you from considering the Austin area -- or any area -- as a new home, but you might want to consider the plausibility of your criteria. Outside of some very remote spots in Alaska, Idaho, North Dakota, the deep South, and the like, it's going to be very difficult for you and your family to find a new locale that meets your requirements. Most small towns that are near a major city -- and especially if that city is a state capital and home to a large university -- are going to be influenced by that city. "Influenced by", but definitely NOT dominated by it. Heck, I live IN the CoA (in the suburbs) and am not influenced much by the Central Austin goings on. I visit the Central area 2-3 times a month. The only real influence CoA has on me (besides taxes) is the cr*ppy bike lanes on the pothole marked Anderson Mill Rd...the Rd. with no turn lanes, lanes barely wide enough for a Kia Rio, minimal lights, with traffic that has been affected (greatly) by city approved and financed apartments (but the city didn't contribute a lick to upgrade the road)....but it DOES have huge *ss bike lanes that no one rides on. That and the $25 per month I'm contributing to the Onion Creek buyout in my CoA water bill...(glad I was able to save the Mtg. companies and Insurance companies some money.....I didn't need that $300 per year anyway).

In addition, you're concerned about Austin as a possible sanctuary city, but I hope you're aware that any state that borders on Mexico is or no doubt will become a sanctuary state. Now THAT's hilarious. Texas will become a sanctuary state (protecting Felony Criminals) when Alice falls into the rabbit hole. (note: the fact that we're not hard core at deporting ALL illegals...we know alot of illegals and like alot of illegals......doesn't change the fact that coddling or protecting Felony Criminals is NOT in a native Texan's DNA). Nor is supporting Illegals with free social services. But if they work, pay their taxes and use their turn signal indicator....they're cool. Especially if they own a Taco Truck or a Taqueria !!

You also need to do more homework on how taxes work in this state. You mention that your father is adamantly against moving anywhere near Austin. Consider his position carefully, for his present negativity about Austin will only increase once you move here.

I do wish you luck in your search.
Greater Austin might be a good fit (in the cities I mention above), but I agree that there are other towns and cities that might even be a better fit.

Last edited by hound 109; 04-26-2017 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 11:54 AM

A good post, hound 109. I don't agree with all you write, but I appreciate the work that went into it, and I hope the OP, and others who are considering moving to Austin, read it carefully.

What you describe is more of a purple city, with purple outer communities that shade toward red or blue in varying degrees, as I stated earlier. I suppose people will quibble forever on how red or blue these places are! Anyone desiring a truly conservative town may have to consider moving more than the desired 30-45 minute drive from Austin proper. One thing is certain: every place will change, and rapidly. Some considering a move to Austin may appreciate the "economically conservative" aspect of Austin but perhaps not the "socially liberal" folks and businesses you describe ... and vice versa. I think there's room for everyone ... but those with a rabid, preconceived fear of "liberals" may not fare so well here.

Your bicycle lane comments made me laugh. I, too, hate many of those pesky lanes. Often I've had to think, shall I end my life in order to save this doofus cyclist who's endangering me and other motorists, or shall I save my own life?"

Unfortunately, Alice did indeed fall down the rabbit hole. Texas's large cities most probably will become sanctuary cities by the sheer number of illegal immigrants that pour into Texas and a rise in the Hispanic vote. I hope not, but that is an unpleasant fact, unless drastic changes are made, and I don't foresee that happening. No one has the right to enter and stay in this country illegally. No one -- no matter how how difficult or pitiful their personal circumstances. Some would call me heartless for that stance.

I must say, it is funny to see how many posters assume I'm liberal ... not that there's anything wrong with being liberal -- or being conservative.

Again, a good, well thought out post, hound 109. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Watch out for those pot holes and bicyclists!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
"Li'l gal" and "honey" are used as friendly, semi-affectionate terms in Texas.
They are most certainly not. As a native Texan, I have never once been called "Lil' Gal" nor heard anyone called that ever. The only time honey is used is by the elderly or as a pejorative. Don't blame Texas for your sexist bunk.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:42 PM

I'm an elderly woman, A-Tex. Have been around a number of people -- yes, also elderly -- who use those terms and also "good old guy" and "sugar," among others. Heck, even my 20 years younger doctor calls me "sweetheart." I don't know your age, but it's hard to believe you're a native Texan if you don't know the context in which these terms are used. I've heard these friendly words used all over the the South as well.

Another soul looking to find for offense where none exists. Nice try.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,930 times
Quote:
I'm an elderly woman, A-Tex. Have been around a number of people -- yes, also elderly -- who use those terms and also "good old guy" and "sugar," among others. Heck, even my 20 years younger doctor calls me "sweetheart." I don't know your age, but it's hard to believe you're a native Texan if you don't know the context in which these terms are used. I've heard these friendly words used all over the the South as well.

Another soul looking to find for offense where none exists. Nice try.
Your doctor is a sexist pig. Those sexist terms have no place in any conversation, but particularly a professional interaction. Don't use your past misuse of sexist terms excuse your current use of offense terms. There are many words that were once commonly used that are now recognized for the sexist/racist/misogynistic terms they've always been. Sad that you're so far behind the times that you don't realize how people are judging you for your primitive behavior.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:44 PM

Only two people have ever criticized my use of these terms -- you and the OP. The OP expressed her dislike of these terms, I explained their use in local context and apologized if I offended her, and that was that.

What put a bug up you today? No one else is judging me for my "primitive behavior." Take your strident PC demands elsewhere. They won't work with me. And don't link my words to racism and misogyny. That's a pretty far stretch.

My doctor has saved my life twice. He can call me anything darn thing he wants to.

I owe the OP another apology. SoCal doesn't have a monopoly on rudeness. You've just proven that, A-Tex. I'm beginning to understand why people detest some liberals.

FYI, I'm a second wave feminist, and I'm appalled at the rigid demands and behavior of some of you younger women. Lighten up, and you'll enjoy life more.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:04 PM

269 posts, read 428,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Your doctor is a sexist pig. Those sexist terms have no place in any conversation, but particularly a professional interaction. Don't use your past misuse of sexist terms excuse your current use of offense terms. There are many words that were once commonly used that are now recognized for the sexist/racist/misogynistic terms they've always been. Sad that you're so far behind the times that you don't realize how people are judging you for your primitive behavior.
This post is ridiculous.

Are those comments Sexist? Heck no. Are they condescending? yes

Old 04-26-2017, 05:32 PM

While writhing in pain and fear with a bursting appendix, I certainly didn't mind my doctor (the surgeon who performed the operation) gently taking my hand and telling me, "You'll do fine, sweetheart. In a little while this will all be over." He soothed my fears and helped set my mind at ease. I call that compassion, not sexism.

Post-op, the nurse (a woman) gave me a pain med and remarked, ""This will help you, hon [as in "honey"]. I didn't find her comment sexist, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin