Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:26 PM

46 posts, read 75,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistigris View Post
I don't understand. I thought political threads were not allowed on here. A thread I started about a report I'd read that the new budget proposal from Trump would make it impossible to deduct property tax from federal income tax was deleted by the moderator, telling me it was inappropriate. This OP's thread is flagrantly purely political, very little interest in actually moving to Austin and solely in promoting right-wing politics.

So only right-wing political threads are allowed on here? Shouldn't they be in the Politics Forum? Thanks for the clarification, I'm confused.
Hi there! I have to ask, do you truly think I was so bored one day that I decided to create a profile on here and post my question about a random city I never had any intention of living in? I don't have that much time on my hands nor is that how I like to spend my free time. Politics is a huge reason on why we want to leave California so I think it is fair to ask how potlicial a potential new home city would be. Obviously the thread got away from my initial question but I didn't post on here to "promote my right wing politics" - that's what Facebook is for (jk).

Anyway, thanks again to everyone who is still posting their input- I have still been reading and following along.

Good day!

Old 06-06-2017, 05:40 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
There are positives and negatives to living in an uber liberal....and an uber conservative state. "Conservative" Californians aren't really conservative in the southern sense of the word. You're probably a centrist in most other parts of the country including here.

Welcome to Texas, but you may be biting off a little more than you can chew.

Also a lot of posters are remarking how Dallas is more conservative than Austin. Dallas proper (not DFW or all the surrounding suburbs) isn't all that conservative. Big hair and plastic surgery aside, Dallas is fairly liberal but not in the hippie way that Austin is. Dallas' liberal power brokers are black/Latino and old-money Jews from the center of the city. Austin seems more like Portland or Seattle where it's mostly young white people. They vote the same but not for the same reasons.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:55 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post

Also a lot of posters are remarking how Dallas is more conservative than Austin. Dallas proper (not DFW or all the surrounding suburbs) isn't all that conservative. Big hair and plastic surgery aside, Dallas is fairly liberal but not in the hippie way that Austin is. Dallas' liberal power brokers are black/Latino and old-money Jews from the center of the city. Austin seems more like Portland or Seattle where it's mostly young white people. They vote the same but not for the same reasons.
Partly true. Dallas may not have a lot of hippies (and frankly, neither does Austin anymore), but it has quite a few young professionals, hipsters, yuccies (yuppie/hipster hybrid), etc. Definitely a large Millennial population that tends to be more socially liberal or "live and let live." Certain Dallas neighborhoods have more of a Portland vibe (e.g. North Oak Cliff) while others are more upscale (e.g. Uptown/Victory Park). Oak Lawn is one of the more vibrant LGBT neighborhoods in the nation. Most vibrant in Texas, hands down. Most people on here don't know Dallas at all.

Last edited by DTXman34; 06-06-2017 at 09:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 05:58 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Partly true. Dallas may not have a lot of hippies (and frankly, neither does Austin anymore), but it has quite a few young professionals, hipsters, yuccies (yuppie/hipster hybrid), etc. Definitely a large Millennial population that tends to be more socially liberal or "live and let live." Certain Dallas neighborhoods have more of a Portland vibe (e.g. North Oak Cliff) while others are more upscale (e.g. Uptown/Victory Park). Oak Lawn is one of the more vibrant LGBT neighborhoods in the nation. Most vibrant in Texas, hands down. Most people on here don't know Dallas at all.
I honestly think people imagine Jerry Jones from the Cowboys and J.R. Ewing from 'Dallas' fame and think that's what the city is about.

There are plenty of those types of men here but their focus is business and real estate more than straight politics. They are fiscal conservatives more than hardcore social conservatives.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirenecat View Post
Uhhhhh, there is no part of Hutto that is "20 minutes from downtown Austin."
Yeah, that was a fairly ludicrous assertion. 28 mile drive in 20 minutes, right.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:00 PM

404 posts, read 712,108 times
Oh, hey Texas. Have some of these!

California exports its poor to Texas, other states, while wealthier people move in | The Sacramento Bee

California exports its poor to Texas, other states, while wealthier people move in

Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post

California exports its poor to Texas, other states, while wealthier people move in | The Sacramento Bee

California exports its poor to Texas, other states, while wealthier people move in
To be fair, "poor" in Orange County, CA recently was defined as earning less than $84k per household.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:14 PM

404 posts, read 712,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
To be fair, "poor" in Orange County, CA recently was defined as earning less than $84k per household.
it's true! not just the housing... groceries, gas, entertainment. simple things at HEB that are $1 are $2 here. Yet the job market doesn't compensate for most occupations.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:15 PM

46 posts, read 75,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post

My boyfriend and I make about $120,000 per year combined - still too expensive to be here.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacyserrao View Post
My boyfriend and I make about $120,000 per year combined - still too expensive to be here.
As long as Democrats keep getting elected, don't expect that to change anytime soon. Just recently I've heard that California is going to provide single payer health care for every man, woman and child who resides in the state including the all of the illegal invaders. The cost will be over 400 billion dollars anually which is more than double the entire state budget of 192 billion.

Quote:
Single-payer healthcare could cost $400 billion to implement in...
http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html
May 31, 2017 ... A single-payer healthcare system in California — a galvanizing cause ... and local funds could be repurposed to go toward the single-payer system. .... “This will allow for proportional and fair representation,” Mendoza told his ...
Quote:
Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate ...
http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html
Jun 1, 2017 ... A proposal to adopt a single-payer healthcare system for California took an ... The bill, which now goes to the state Assembly for consideration, will have to be ... Lara's bill would provide a Medicare-for-all-type system that he ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin