Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM

126 posts, read 788,734 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am the mom of a three year old. She goes to preschool but I do not have her enrolled in anything this Summer.

Anyone in the same situation? Can someone suggest a few good activities for kids in my area? I live in Grandview hills (a community on the 620-2222 intersection). We are planning a YMCA membership. Anyone done that?

What about music classes, art classes, dance, gym....any good suggestions?

She is interested in pretty much anything if she gets to meet other kids of her age.

Experiences from other moms welcome too.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM

99 posts, read 421,745 times
We went to the summer camp expo a few weeks ago and Live Oak Montessori had some pretty cool looking nature related ones. </title> <title>Live Oak Community Montessori - Home (http://liveoakcm.org/index.php - broken link)

There's a J.W. Tumbles in the plaza in front of Riverplace. There's also a Little Gym in a plaza by Lakeline Mall. My daughter has been to and enjoys both.

There were a few summer camps in Cedar Park but I'm afraid I don't remember the names. Maybe you can find more info at one of these links:
Summer Camps in Austin and Central Texas (http://austin.about.com/od/summercamps/Summer_Camps.htm - broken link)
News 8 Austin | 24 Hour Local News | Summer Camp Guide
The Austin Chronicle: Summer Camps

HTH

Last edited by jclAustin; 03-07-2008 at 03:41 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
Hi

I am the mom of a three year old. She goes to preschool but I do not have her enrolled in anything this Summer.

Anyone in the same situation? Can someone suggest a few good activities for kids in my area? I live in Grandview hills (a community on the 620-2222 intersection). We are planning a YMCA membership. Anyone done that?

What about music classes, art classes, dance, gym....any good suggestions?

She is interested in pretty much anything if she gets to meet other kids of her age.

Experiences from other moms welcome too.

Thanks in Advance!
Austin has great parks & a great parks dept. Zilker is the crown jewel, but many parks are great to visit early in the morning & kids at that age always play well together.

Volente Beach is close by & might be worth a season pass.

Which YMCA are you considering? The Twin Lakes have ALOT of summer programs....inside & outside.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 35,010 times
Austin Dance Company is offering two hours a day weekly camps this summer. My daughter took lessons there two summers ago and really enjoyed it.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times
Tennis camps etc at River Place CC three might be too young though.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,382 times
Question Summer activities

Hello, we are in the same boat. We were wondering if LISD offices would have any sources in our surrounding area.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM

298 posts, read 945,278 times
The libraries have great storytimes and special guests that come and sing, do puppet shows, etc...

Old 02-05-2009, 05:25 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Steiner Ranch has a bunch of camps, and you don't have to be a resident of Steiner to attend them. They are having a sort of open house on February 28th. You can check out steinerranchhoa.com. I think they have more info.

She may be too young for some of them, but they have ones like Sportball and Kidzart which are for younger kids.

Also, my daughter took swimming lessons at Emler Swim School last summer. They are on Anderson Mill off of 620. Great school, and it is a 45 minute class once a week for the entire summer. So it will keep her busy for more than a week like the camps.

She also started ballet/tap last summer (when she was 3) at Shirley McPhail School of Dance. It was also a one-hour class once a week. I think the summer session lasts for 6 weeks. She absolutely LOVED it and still goes. And they treat the girls like the children they are - they let them have fun and don't expect them (or even want them) to be prima ballerinas. If you do this dance school, I would strongly suggest trying to get into Miss Trish's class. She has been teaching dance to 3-5 year olds for 50 years and is absolutely delightful (and my daughter adores her). They have 2 locations - one at Spicewood Springs and 183 and one at Mesa and Spicewood Spings. It's also very reasonably priced.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:46 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,069 times
On Saturday, Sept. 28, there's a Summer Camp Fair at the Steiner Ranch Towne Square Community Center from 9 am to 12 pm. Here's a link to more info:

Steiner Ranch HOA - Home

Also, the Childrens Center in Steiner Ranch has a summer camp program, but I don't knmow much about it other than they take a LOT of field trips and the neighbor kids love it.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,673 times
I agree with these moms - Steiner Ranch has great summer camps for little ones. Definitely check out the camp fair if you can.

I think River Place CC has all-purpose camps but you probably have to be a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin