Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,269 times

Advertisements

Hey Y'all ( and no, not saying it to be cute, I do talk this way)

I've been reading a couple of threads here trying to get an idea of what other inside information I could use before I start planning my move to Austin.

I'm a 25 year old female illustrator looking to leave New England. Thought about going to NYC or back to Boston where I went to school, but I can't stand the cold weather or people. My entire maternal half of my family is from the Houston area, so I am more than used to Texas. However, I have only been to Austin three times.

I loved it every time I go to visit, however no one I know in Austin is around my age so I'm not sure I'm getting the best advice or insight. I guess I'm over listening and reading sweeping generalizations and wants some opinions.

I'm single, looking to network, maybe meet a guy, and just experience fun arts and culture. Diversity is important to me (I'm a black female), so I'm just trying to get an idea of what it's like. And bear in mind...I grew up in CONNECTICUT. Just for comparison.

I just want more of a feel of the city than the older heads in my family are giving me. I'm visiting Galveston next week, but I'm not sure we'll have time to drive to Austin like we have before. If you can reccommend something I may like to see or do if I go to Austin, please let me know. I'm not sure if I will be accepted to UT right away so I want to make sure I can make some good connections in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicash View Post
Hey Y'all ( and no, not saying it to be cute, I do talk this way)

I've been reading a couple of threads here trying to get an idea of what other inside information I could use before I start planning my move to Austin.

I'm a 25 year old female illustrator looking to leave New England. Thought about going to NYC or back to Boston where I went to school, but I can't stand the cold weather or people. My entire maternal half of my family is from the Houston area, so I am more than used to Texas. However, I have only been to Austin three times.

I loved it every time I go to visit, however no one I know in Austin is around my age so I'm not sure I'm getting the best advice or insight. I guess I'm over listening and reading sweeping generalizations and wants some opinions.

I'm single, looking to network, maybe meet a guy, and just experience fun arts and culture. Diversity is important to me (I'm a black female), so I'm just trying to get an idea of what it's like. And bear in mind...I grew up in CONNECTICUT. Just for comparison.

I just want more of a feel of the city than the older heads in my family are giving me. I'm visiting Galveston next week, but I'm not sure we'll have time to drive to Austin like we have before. If you can reccommend something I may like to see or do if I go to Austin, please let me know. I'm not sure if I will be accepted to UT right away so I want to make sure I can make some good connections in this city.
Austin is like a desert for black professionals looking to date other black professionals. Everything else will be ok though. If you are affiliated with the university, that would be a different story and you would likely meet more great guys than you could shake a stick at.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:02 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
My .02 is that you should try it. I am white, male, and old enough to be your father but say "try it" based on these factors:
1. You're young and single. If this isn't the right spot, you can move on.
2. No significant winter here - if you hate the winter.
3. My experience, very much a live-and-let-live mentality. Having spent time in CT and MA as well as upper Midwest, I think the lack of segregation in much of the greater Austin area is refreshing. I am sure some may disagree, but from the suburban family man point of view, I love the fact that I have immediate neighbors that are from all cultures and backgrounds.

The big question will be what is the affordability and expectations for a 25 year old single coming here?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:17 AM

240 posts, read 272,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
The big question will be what is the affordability and expectations for a 25 year old single coming here?
But she's an Illustrator... We're basically the richest career on the planet.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Find out if you're accepted to UT before moving. You did not mention what you are going to school for and/or if you'll be working as well. knowing these things will help you (and others here to provide recommendations) know where to live and what you can afford housing wise. It took me about six months to find a job from San Antonio to Austin in the social work field. I'm unsure what your field is like job wise though. Be prepared to pay about $1200 a month in rent for something near the cool hip millenials. You can go lower (I'm paying about $800 now) but it won't be the prettiest area and you may have to drive to get to the fun stuff (although I am just 10 minutes from downtown). I'm in my mid 30s and moved here a little over two years ago and can say if you work hard enough and know what you want in a friend group you can find it. Rynldsbr mentioned the segregation piece to our great city. Unfortunately, Austin has been ranked as one of the most segregated big cities in the nation, both race and income wise. Historically the African-American community resided in the eastern part of the city (due to city planning dating back to the 1800s) but in the recent years investors have come in and purchased many of these homes and flipped them and sold them to young techies and Californians. With that said, a large chunk of AA families have left Austin proper for the suburbs like Del Valle, Manor and Pflugerville. I would never only recommend the East side for someone like you, but do be aware of this in your search.

Austin does not lack culture and arts and all those things you mentioned, but have you considered moving to the Austin area as well? If you already have that support there and know your way around it might not be a bad option. Houston to Austin is not a bad drive and you can come in for whatever activities you're interested in.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
My .02 is that you should try it. I am white, male, and old enough to be your father but say "try it" based on these factors:
1. You're young and single. If this isn't the right spot, you can move on.
2. No significant winter here - if you hate the winter.
3. My experience, very much a live-and-let-live mentality. Having spent time in CT and MA as well as upper Midwest, I think the lack of segregation in much of the greater Austin area is refreshing. I am sure some may disagree, but from the suburban family man point of view, I love the fact that I have immediate neighbors that are from all cultures and backgrounds.

This is pretty solid advice and what most of my relatives have told me all the years I've spent in Texas. They recommended Houston, but in all honesty I've never really enjoyed Houston that much in all my summers, vacations there. Or visiting my relatives...

I really appreciate you reminding me that I can move on. I tend to forget that, as I have been more mobile than my friends in the last 3 years ( a lot of them stayed in our college town, are settling down to marry, or came home to CT). It's a journey. haha

In terms of illustrating and being at the beginning of my career, I actually have a day job and I freelance. Together, I make a pretty steady income that is padded with commissions and shows. Illustration is one of those jobs that I feel you can't go full time until the balance between to jobs is hard to keep up. I'm still building clients and patrons, so I have a ways to go. However I'm not planning to move to ATX until 2018.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Austin is like a desert for black professionals looking to date other black professionals. Everything else will be ok though. If you are affiliated with the university, that would be a different story and you would likely meet more great guys than you could shake a stick at.
Awww really? If you don't mind me asking, what is your background? I want to get an idea of what it's like. Granted, I'm an equal opportunity dater, but it's nice to at least KNOW other black professionals.

I'm more excited to be affiliated with UT by my moved, but I don't have any control over getting into their Graduate program so I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket haha

Old 04-26-2017, 02:20 PM

152 posts, read 196,317 times
All of my black friends feel more at home in Houston. Austin is the only large city growing by double digits while the minority population is falling. If you're into white guys that may be a positive though. You're not likely to experience any overt racism or anything. The people are welcoming and friendly to all but dating, depending on your preferences may be hard. Best of luck.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355spider View Post
Austin is the only large city growing by double digits while the minority population is falling.
FALSE.

Austin's AA population (in the city) is actually growing now.

City Demographer: Austin

Old 04-26-2017, 03:00 PM

668 posts, read 783,128 times
I have a good friend who is around your age (24) who is a young black professional woman. She moved here from Chicago, and while she is also an equal opportunity dater, she is really struggling to find a good pool of young professional black men here to date. She's been really active in some Blacks in Tech groups here and that has helped expand her social circle in that regard (and she has started a similar group at our company).

She also shared with me that when she first moved here 2 years ago, she was quite depressed at first to simply not see black faces around Austin very much, period. Coming from Chicago, it was a big change for her and she's acclimated to it now, but it was different and lonely for her at first, which I totally understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin