Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:23 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend those condos. In addition to being mass produced DR Hortons, they are adjacent to a Section 8 housing complex.
The DR Horton thing, I get...that's why I included the FYI. I wouldn't do DR Horton, myself. If the poster is just concerned about location and price, DR Horton will do, I guess.

But the Section 8 housing? I had no idea. Are you talking about those apartments next door?

Otherwise, I think there are some condos within the 250K range in Highland Park in Pflugerville. I'm not 100% certain, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:36 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
So I either get screwed by a realtor who wants to make a quick buck and convinces me to list the house for bare minimum or I get sued because their realtor knows how to use the rules against me? Those are my options?

And you wonder why some people have trust issues with realtors. At this point it just does not seem worth it to even try and I should just rent my place for barely enough to cover the mortgage while I move up north and rent a duplex in a ghetto.
A reputable realtor isn't going to do that. Do your research and select a realtor accordingly.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
This was the case in Southern California, I don't know if it's going to repeat in Austin. In Orange County, California you could buy a nice 2000sqft townhouse for $300-350k in the late 90s...now those are a million dollars which means it's tripled in value in about 20 years. It did crash 50% in 2011-12 but immediately shot back up after the Fed started QE programs. What happens next nobody knows but it's a gamble.

If you buy a $300k home and it drops to $200k you can take that risk, if it's $1 million and it falls to $500k (like it did in '12 and there were foreclosures galore) you're Fked!

Old 05-16-2017, 10:10 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,360 times
Too many "Realtors" posting in this thread.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:26 PM

84 posts, read 146,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
Have you sold your own homes before without a realtor? My friends are telling me to just hire a realtor but they also have something I do not, Trust Funds. $10k could be all the difference in the world in a move from state to state.
I have. Put a sign in the front, did a little advertising, had a little open house, signed all the paper work at my lawyers office, saved me 10k and I'm not some genius. House sold in 60 days with multiple offers. I did live in a desirable area and probably wouldn't recommend it if you don't.

good place to start would be here - FSBO.com | Sellers. Not sure if they'll let the link stay up, but you can google some fsbo tips.

Also info on how to use a title company. https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums...-title-company

Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Too many "Realtors" posting in this thread.
I'm not one.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,120 times
Well, this thread took a few twists and turns...I was asking for the sake of curiosity more than anything. A friend of ours is moving back there soon. He sold when the market was in the ditch back in 2008 or so. I can look at the comps and understand, but I like to hear word of mouth

Our first place was in Pflugerville - actually, it was annexed to Pflugerville but we kept a Round Rock address. My husband bought that place brand new (before we met), right before the dot com bubble burst. When someone posted about those condos for $275K, our jaws hit the floor. OMG that's nuts!

We bought a place in Georgetown Village and rented out that home in Pflugerville, because we would've been writing a check at closing - and that was still 10 years after he bought it. After being in that house for three years, the market again picked up, and we moved to Seattle. The house went under contract quickly and we were happy to see some equity, for sure. Last year, a friend of mine had $250K in cash and couldn't land a place that fed into McNeil. It took almost 6 months of searching - houses went under contract faster than they could tour them. In Round Rock. That's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin