Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:15 PM

172 posts, read 177,571 times

Advertisements

My sister has lived in DFW since 1994. I have visited many times. I've never liked it, other than catching a Rangers game.

Everywhere you look are chain restaurants and big box retailers. Every house seems to be made of brick and neighborhoods are walled in with brick. Everything feels so sterile. Even the church-goers feel fake with their big hair and too much makeup.

I don't hate Dallas. If people love it, more power to them. It's just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
From a Houston perspective, the way I see it is. Dallas is seen as a place were people have to free up to go out. Austin is still a place were the local millionaire doesn't have to feel obligated to were designer or their is no need to go for a fancy restaurant or act more " high fashion". Houston would be closer to Dallas except because of the mixture that keeps many people only miles away from the nearest lower income neighborhood and the vibe you get even in areas far removed from the ghetto, makes Houston more laid back. In Houston the most North Dallas like place (as in suburbs), is The Woodlands and people make fun of it for that, while it is the opposite smaller towns and suburbs in east and south Dallas are looked at provincial or hood negatively while Houston worships places like Missouri City, Sugar Land, Katy who all seem more laid back for various reasons than North Dallas.
Austin is seen as a place that doesn't need a low pass neighborhood to make the people feel down to earth, this the description of "flip flops" as the primary attire while Houston is laid back primarily because of its mixture even though it has the same ethnic breakdown as Dallas and due to the influence of these lower income areas, Houston is seen as "designer sneakers" while Dallas is seen more as typical NYC corporate, super well dressed and preppy attitude because unlike Houston you could stay in North Dallas (also including the suburbs) which is slightly more than half the city and never have to come in contact with poorer people who will bring you down to earth or you just don't have the culture of Austin.
I am probably of but I think this is how people feel when they talk about Austin vs. Dallas vs. Houston.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
My sister has lived in DFW since 1994. I have visited many times. I've never liked it, other than catching a Rangers game.

Everywhere you look are chain restaurants and big box retailers. Every house seems to be made of brick and neighborhoods are walled in with brick. Everything feels so sterile. Even the church-goers feel fake with their big hair and too much makeup.

I don't hate Dallas. If people love it, more power to them. It's just not for me.
Why don't you be honest and state you're describing "suburban Dallas," not the actual city? Why do people on here compare Downtown Austin to suburban DFW? It's like me comparing Deep Ellum to Round Rock. Like wtf? Dallas proper has some really nice homes and architecture, many of which are older than what you find in Austin. Dallas has a longer history as a major city compared to Austin after all.

I seriously wonder if half the people on here are over 50 years old and their "Dallas" experience is from visiting a relative out in Arlington or Plano.

Last edited by DTXman34; 05-24-2017 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
From a Houston perspective, the way I see it is. Dallas is seen as a place were people have to free up to go out. Austin is still a place were the local millionaire doesn't have to feel obligated to were designer or their is no need to go for a fancy restaurant or act more " high fashion". Houston would be closer to Dallas except because of the mixture that keeps many people only miles away from the nearest lower income neighborhood and the vibe you get even in areas far removed from the ghetto, makes Houston more laid back. In Houston the most North Dallas like place (as in suburbs), is The Woodlands and people make fun of it for that, while it is the opposite smaller towns and suburbs in east and south Dallas are looked at provincial or hood negatively while Houston worships places like Missouri City, Sugar Land, Katy who all seem more laid back for various reasons than North Dallas.
Austin is seen as a place that doesn't need a low pass neighborhood to make the people feel down to earth, this the description of "flip flops" as the primary attire while Houston is laid back primarily because of its mixture even though it has the same ethnic breakdown as Dallas and due to the influence of these lower income areas, Houston is seen as "designer sneakers" while Dallas is seen more as typical NYC corporate, super well dressed and preppy attitude because unlike Houston you could stay in North Dallas (also including the suburbs) which is slightly more than half the city and never have to come in contact with poorer people who will bring you down to earth or you just don't have the culture of Austin.
I am probably of but I think this is how people feel when they talk about Austin vs. Dallas vs. Houston.
Sure, but it's not 1985 anymore. I'm a transplant from the Northeast, an area where people don't give two craps about what they look like. I've been in Dallas for 5 years now. This city is becoming incredibly diluted and more laid back thanks to the influx of transplants from all over. Uptown bars and clubs are becoming more diverse. I live in Uptown and other than the business lunch crowd, I see all types wearing t-shirts and gym shorts. Deep Ellum is increasingly becoming the new face of Dallas, a diverse and creative one. Is a Dallas Millennial really that different from an Austin one? I mean really, you have some of the same bars and clubs in Houston, Dallas, and Austin with the same types of people.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Why don't you be honest and state you're describing "suburban Dallas," not the actual city? Why do people on here compare Downtown Austin to suburban DFW? It's like me comparing Deep Ellum to Round Rock. Like wtf? Dallas proper has some really nice homes and architecture, many of which are older than what you find in Austin. Dallas has a longer history as a major city compared to Austin after all.

I seriously wonder if half the people on here are over 50 years old and their "Dallas" experience is from visiting a relative out in Arlington or Plano.
I did say DFW. And I'm not comparing downtown Austin to those places. Just Austin as a whole.

I'm 34.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times
Austin will overtake San Jose as country 10th largest city since San Jose is not growing anymore.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Austin will overtake San Jose as country 10th largest city since San Jose is not growing anymore.
Newest estimates are out.

July 2016

San Jose: 1,025,350 (+79,408 since 2010)
Austin: 947,890 (+157,500 since 2010)

If that rate is kept up for another 6 years, then in July 2022:

Austin: 1,105,390
San Jose: 1,104,758

But, the change from 2015 to 2016 is telling:

Austin +16,060
San Jose -1,558

Old 05-25-2017, 02:00 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times
San Jose is not growing anymore and will shrink to below 1 million to around 982,000 during the 2020 Census.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:12 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
I'm pretty sure if Houston, Dallas, S.A., and F.W., were all small cities today, they would seem more authentic and different from each other.
Seem pretty authentic and different to me as they are now...

Old 05-25-2017, 08:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Yawn....

I'm sorry...but...yawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin