Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:48 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times

Advertisements

I had one on Parmer/35 who used to yell at me several times because I kept my windows rolled up and ignored her (this was many years ago when I lived in Austin). She would tell me I was racist because my car was white and other fun stuff. The ones out here in LA are a little less interactive unless you make eye contact or talk to them first.

It can be annoying, but it's part of city living I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 08:27 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
The homeless, by definition are desperate-- and are a lot more rude in bigger cities like New York and Los Angeles. Panhandlers are asking for money; when you see someone coming towards your car roll up your window.
Or give them a can of cold V8 juice. I have done that and it was greatly appreciated. My wife has bags with things like a new, clean t-shirt, toiletries, etc. I agree that giving money is of dubious benefit.

Don

Old 06-01-2017, 08:57 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Or give them a can of cold V8 juice. I have done that and it was greatly appreciated. My wife has bags with things like a new, clean t-shirt, toiletries, etc. I agree that giving money is of dubious benefit.

Don
My mother-in-law used to hand out bags with food and such. After having people refuse them (often in non-friendly, expletive-laced ways), she stopped. It got to the point where she was actually afraid of how angry people were that she wasn't giving them money. Turns out a lot of people just want the money, and I'm guessing it's not used for food and such.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:01 PM

445 posts, read 413,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My mother-in-law used to hand out bags with food and such. After having people refuse them (often in non-friendly, expletive-laced ways), she stopped. It got to the point where she was actually afraid of how angry people were that she wasn't giving them money. Turns out a lot of people just want the money, and I'm guessing it's not used for food and such.
NPR did an episode on planet money (I think) where they got a quote form a San Fransisco homeless guy saying that they have access to food and shelter, so the only thing that they need money for is "other" stuff - so don't give them money.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:06 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I went through a drive-through once that gave me a coupon for a free burger on my next visit. A woman asked me for money for food and I gave her this coupon. She was furious.

On the other end, another time same place a guy was asking for money for food I said is food what you really want? He said yes, I said tell me what you want. I got it and handed it to him after the drive-through window and he was uber-grateful. Thanked me 100 times.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:08 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Even at gas stations there are sandwiches. If I am in a place where I am willing I say come pick out what you want to eat. NO more money. Not after being scammed too many times.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:34 PM

716 posts, read 539,300 times
stop feeding them and they will go away - feed them and they stay around - just like a bird or any animal -and sometimes the bird or animal will bite the hand that feeds them - so done be so surprised how they act -

Old 06-01-2017, 05:15 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Your money is most likely paying for their cigarettes, booze, and/or illegal drugs. Give your money to the Salvation Army.

The guy in the wheelchair? He's getting SS disability.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
One time someone walked up to me and said he was hungry could I spare some change. I was in front of a Chinese restaurant. I said if you are hungry then you would accept some plain rice then? He said yes.

We went in and then I ordered a container of rice, around $1.99 or so I think. He then asked the cashier for kung pao chicken. I said "wait I just said plain rice." He said "I need flavor bro." I the cashier politely only plain rice.

He took the plain rice and stormed out cussing me out.

I try to be nice but it's hard when they don't show gratitude. I simply ignore nowadays.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,527 times
How about the guy with the fancy sign whose kid has cancer. That dude has been at it for at least 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin