Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Solution to house the homeless
Build shelters in Austin, and make the suburbs pay for it. 2 40.00%
Build shelters in the suburbs, and make Austin pay for it. 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:01 PM

52 posts, read 45,206 times

Advertisements

The homeless come from all over central Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 12:49 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
How about the homeless get jobs and integrate into society. Why should anyone have to pay for someone else to stand on the corner and beg? There are some people who really need help and have fallen on tough times. I get that but there are plenty of programs out there and government help out there. But the other majority are a nuisance to the city and surrounding area. Bus them out I suppose since that's what other cities do apparently.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
How about the homeless get jobs and integrate into society. Why should anyone have to pay for someone else to stand on the corner and beg? There are some people who really need help and have fallen on tough times. I get that but there are plenty of programs out there and government help out there. But the other majority are a nuisance to the city and surrounding area. Bus them out I suppose since that's what other cities do apparently.
Plenty of programs, yes. Locate those programs in the suburbs and Austin pays for them, or vice versa?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:24 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Both should help with a solution. I like what Mobile Loaves and Fishes is doing with their Community First Village. I think it's a good model to follow. Just throwing money at the problem doesn't help, and shelters only provide a temporary solution.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Both should help with a solution. I like what Mobile Loaves and Fishes is doing with their Community First Village. I think it's a good model to follow. Just throwing money at the problem doesn't help, and shelters only provide a temporary solution.
Agreed. Leander, Bee Caves, Lake Travis, Buda, and Georgetown should all have these villages, too.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User error View Post
Agreed. Leander, Bee Caves, Lake Travis, Buda, and Georgetown should all have these villages, too.
why should they have the villages?

Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Maybe adequate mental health care - then it wouldn't really be an issue.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User error View Post
I'm not opposed to that. The problem is that most homeless people don't have and can't afford a car. And seeing as there's no pubic transportation in most of these areas (or even parts of Austin, for that matter), it would be impossible for them to get to any job, grocery stores, doctors, etc.

And I agree that most chronically homeless people have some form of mental illness. Unless that problem is addressed, then all the shelters in the world won't solve the problem.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's si far out though. I'm not even sure if cap metro goes out to there. That's the only problem I see with it. A

And the solution is wat more complicated than you all make it seem.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:02 PM

172 posts, read 177,424 times
They loiter on public property, but don't pay taxes, so it's not "their" public property. Round them up.

Test them. If they are suffering from mental illness, get them help. Put them in a facility or something.

If they are addicts, get them in a program and off the streets. Three strikes policy.

If they are not addicts and not crazy, but just fell on hard times (ex: lost their home due to financial crisis), get them into one of these live/work programs.

If they are just weirdoes who want to live the bohemian lifestyle, harass them.

It'll take work, money (taxes and charity), and volunteers. It won't be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin