Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:35 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Unbelievable. Didn't see this one coming at all. What a revolting devlopment this turned out to be. Losing 2 Austin born and bred Fortune 500 companies with headquarters in Austin in the past 2 ir 3 yrs or so. Whole Foods and Freescale. On the brightside, if there is one, Amazon is an upgrade from Albertson's. Amazon is a better fit in Austin and it's culture than Albertson's.

I wonder if there's any chance of Amazon moving its headquarters to Austin?
You know the next thing will be Amazon saying it needs to choose whether to expand its HQ in Seattle or move its HQ to Austin, then play the TX and WA governments against each other for maximum gov't subsidies. Just wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 11:42 AM

375 posts, read 319,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The Cedar Park store does nothing for Round Rock, which is twice the size of Cedar Park and has similar demographics. If WF can open stores all over the DFW metroplex, then it makes zero sense to not have a store in the Round Rock/Georgetown/Pflugerville area. These aren't boonie towns.

I don't know what the reason is, but Sprouts sure has capitalized at WF's expense. That store not only gets Round Rock people, it also gets people all along the 35 corridor from Pflugerville to Georgetown. Not opening in Round Rock IMO was dumb. The reason may be some micro-local thing, but Sprouts, a competitor, has a firm grip on the local Round Rock/35 corridor organic market. People in RR (unless they live in the far west) aren't going to trek over to Cedar Park to go to Whole Food lite when there's a Sprouts off 620. Sprouts even has home delivery. Go figure.
There seems to be confusion on the smaller WFs 365 "lite" stores. I was confused when I read another poster say the smaller store was in the Bee Caves area and the DFW suburbs. There are only 5 of the 365 stores in the US. Only one in Austin which is in Cedar Park. These are, for a lack of a better word, trial stores to see if they get that lower priced shopper.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:49 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
There seems to be confusion on the smaller WFs 365 "lite" stores. I was confused when I read another poster say the smaller store was in the Bee Caves area and the DFW suburbs. There are only 5 of the 365 stores in the US. Only one in Austin which is in Cedar Park. These are, for a lack of a better word, trial stores to see if they get that lower priced shopper.
The Bee Cave location is just a small WF, not a 365 store.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
My son just sent me a short video of a packed room Q&A at corporate office right now. Seems they didn't know about this either!

I used to shop at the Burnet & 183 location years ago a lot. Used to love WFs when they were just local and small. I rarely go anymore outside of getting few favorites we like or something special. Long gone are the days when I did regular shopping there.
Federal laws prohibit them from knowing beforehand. Only those most closely involved with the transaction are allowed to know.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:01 PM

[quote=riaelise;48524730]The Cedar Park store does nothing for Round Rock, which is twice the size of Cedar Park and has similar demographics. If WF can open stores all over the DFW metroplex, then it makes zero sense to not have a store in the Round Rock/Georgetown/Pflugerville area. These aren't boonie towns.

I don't know what the reason is, but Sprouts sure has capitalized at WF's expense. That store not only gets Round Rock people, it also gets people all along the 35 corridor from Pflugerville to Georgetown. Not opening in Round Rock IMO was dumb. The reason may be some micro-local thing, but Sprouts, a competitor, has a firm grip on the local Round Rock/35 corridor organic market. People in RR (unless they live in the far west) aren't going to trek over to Cedar Park to go to Whole Food lite when there's a Sprouts off 620. Sprouts even has home delivery. Go figure.[/QUOTE

The Sprouts in Cedar Park is always practically empty of shoppers. Seriously, I shop there quite a bit and always enjoy it as it is never busy. I always wonder how they stay in business. BTW, from what I understand there is talk of WFs having a home delivery service, too.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
The Cedar Park store does nothing for Round Rock, which is twice the size of Cedar Park and has similar demographics. If WF can open stores all over the DFW metroplex, then it makes zero sense to not have a store in the Round Rock/Georgetown/Pflugerville area. These aren't boonie towns.
I was just addressing your comment about WF ignoring the burbs, which is demonstrably not true. Sounds like your real issue is that WF seems to be ignoring RR in particular. To that I can not speak but it would seem like that area would be prime for a large store (esp considering other "interesting" choices like their Gateway location and it's proximity to the Domain store).

Old 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
[quote=Tams here;48525196]
Quote:

I don't know what the reason is, but Sprouts sure has capitalized at WF's expense. That store not only gets Round Rock people, it also gets people all along the 35 corridor from Pflugerville to Georgetown. Not opening in Round Rock IMO was dumb. The reason may be some micro-local thing, but Sprouts, a competitor, has a firm grip on the local Round Rock/35 corridor organic market. People in RR (unless they live in the far west) aren't going to trek over to Cedar Park to go to Whole Food lite when there's a Sprouts off 620. Sprouts even has home delivery. Go figure.[/QUOTE

The Sprouts in Cedar Park is always practically empty of shoppers. Seriously, I shop there quite a bit and always enjoy it as it is never busy. I always wonder how they stay in business. BTW, from what I understand there is talk of WFs having a home delivery service, too.
Whole Foods delivery is already available through companies such as Instacart.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
[quote=Tams here;48525196]
Quote:

The Round Rock store, on the other hand, is very busy. Sprouts has a lot of competition in Cedar Park. Not in Round Rock, though the local grocers, Target, and Walmart have also taken advantage of the lack of a dedicated organic grocer and stock their shelves with a lot of organic products. I wouldn't call RR an organic food desert..not at all...but WF really blew it by not opening a store. There's a big legion of people who are into organic food - my mother for example - who live along the 35 corridor.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Tex View Post
Federal laws prohibit them from knowing beforehand. Only those most closely involved with the transaction are allowed to know.
Wasn't aware of that!
Lol, heck, me, my other son and my ex knew about this before my WFs employed son knew via news reports. All three of us texted him this AM asking him what the deal was!

Old 06-16-2017, 12:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I was just addressing your comment about WF ignoring the burbs, which is demonstrably not true. Sounds like your real issue is that WF seems to be ignoring RR in particular. To that I can not speak but it would seem like that area would be prime for a large store (esp considering other "interesting" choices like their Gateway location and it's proximity to the Domain store).
You are correct in that my issue is more local vs. suburban cities in the general sense. But it's not just RR, but the areas along the IH 35 corridor including Pflugerville, Georgetown and beyond. Pflugerville has 50,000+ people and increasing daily, GT, 50,000+ people and increasing daily, in addition to RR, which is over 100k+ people and increasing daily. Though to be honest I don't have a dog in this fight because I can easily find organic stuff in my local market. But I do know there are many people locally that clamored for an organic grocer for years before Sprouts came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin