Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,960 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend checking out the S Lamar Blvd area; Plenty going on there if you want a night out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Tip - Get used to doing the same hiking trails over and over and over.
Thats only if you dont know what you are doing. The BCGB has about 40-50 miles of trails. South austin trail network is 40 miles, forest ridge is 7 miles, st eds is about 6 miles and hooks into forest ridge

Brushy creek is about 12-15 (not including the paved trail)

walnut creek is 11 miles

north walnut creek is 3.2 imles and hooks into walnut creek

Four corners is about 30 miles and hooks into bull creek

bull creek is 6 miles

There are a bunch of other 6 mile trails such as bright leaf.

Pretty much look at a satellite map of austin. If there is a large green space then there are trails in it.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Thats only if you dont know what you are doing. The BCGB has about 40-50 miles of trails. South austin trail network is 40 miles, forest ridge is 7 miles, st eds is about 6 miles and hooks into forest ridge

Brushy creek is about 12-15 (not including the paved trail)

walnut creek is 11 miles

north walnut creek is 3.2 imles and hooks into walnut creek

Four corners is about 30 miles and hooks into bull creek

bull creek is 6 miles

There are a bunch of other 6 mile trails such as bright leaf.

Pretty much look at a satellite map of austin. If there is a large green space then there are trails in it.
When you live here it's pretty easy to knock all those out a few times in a few years.
I re-do those all the time and also include Colorado Bend, Perdernales Falls, Lost Maples, and Garner into the mix.
It has been nice seeing the trail system expand though.

She's coming from Montana, there is nothing like that here.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
When you live here it's pretty easy to knock all those out a few times in a few years.
I re-do those all the time and also include Colorado Bend, Perdernales Falls, Lost Maples, and Garner into the mix.
It has been nice seeing the trail system expand though.

She's coming from Montana, there is nothing like that here.
Ill put our in town trails up against *any* city in the US, the vast majority of people are not hiking hundreds of miles a year.

And of course if you start going out of town there are many places with national forests with large trail systems in Montana, colorado, idaho, wyoming etc. that we dont have. I would love to see an effort that creates hiking corridors across the entire state.

However it is hardly "get used to doing the same trails over and over again"

Old 06-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
However it is hardly "get used to doing the same trails over and over again"
I disagree. We will just have to leave it at that.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 PM

202 posts, read 352,598 times
Hahaha yes I am in Western Montana only about 10 minutes away from National forest land...so unlimited outdoor opportunities...but I can absolutely appreciate good trails and green belts in and around the city. I have a golden retriever so anything that will get her exercise in is good with me! I will miss the non-humid climate but frigid winters get very hard as well..thank you guys for the suggestions I really appreciate them. If anyone has any other breakfast recommendations and coffee recommendations I would appreciate that as well!!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 PM

74 posts, read 91,357 times
That doesn't narrow it down. Which National Forest?
Missoula is the Austin of Montana. Property taxes are nuts in both cities.
Traffic here sucks. Tech is the fastest growing industry.
There's always some kind of event happening here; you just have to be willing to go out and enjoy it!
It sucks that you already have housing arranged. I think that based on your background, Liberty Hill or Leander would be a good transitional area for you. I'm by no means from the country, but I have a hard time adjusting to the city life of Austin, and would prefer to live up in Leander, but I need to keep my commute time low.
Your husband is set up, but what about you? What do you plan on doing here in Austin?

Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiev111 View Post
...just wanted any and all tips about anything related to Austin ...
Most major streets and "highways" have several names. Learn them all. Most of the "highways" have traffic lights, deep breaths help when you slam on your breaks from going 60mph. Manchaca is pronounced as Man-shack. Buda is pronounced as a long u like Unicorn.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,199 times
Threadgills

Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Most major streets and "highways" have several names. Learn them all. Most of the "highways" have traffic lights, deep breaths help when you slam on your breaks from going 60mph. Manchaca is pronounced as Man-shack. Buda is pronounced as a long u like Unicorn.
THis is a good one!
Mopac is also Loop 1. When I first moved here I drove in a circle several times looking for a Mopac sign.

Also, with your dog..during they Summer they over heat fast. I have a black dog so all Summer hikes are over by 11 am. I try to plan hikes near a body of water and I pack extra water for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin