Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times

Advertisements

This listing just came on the market. We can't decide if this would be a plus or a minus living next to Oakwood Cemetery? Figured it was interesting enough to share.

https://austin.curbed.com/2017/6/29/...ast-swede-hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:58 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quiet neighbors are a huge plus!

Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
The cemetery is a huge plus, kind of like a greenbelt that will never be developed. However, the house is another story.

With that wall of windows and the sun shining directly in, who would want to pay those utility bills in the summer?

If you have a wall of windows in this climate, they need to be north facing so the sun never shines in directly. The only exception is the bathroom. Love the sun beaming into the bathroom, filtered (I have stained glass in my current house) as no stranger needs to see me in my full glory

Old 07-01-2017, 07:53 AM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
Windows....

Drapes, window tint, and of course, outside shutters. Pick one.

Jim B.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:17 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I think living next to a cemetery would be great. It's quite, peaceful, well-kept, and you know it will not be developed. Would be a selling point for me.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:01 PM

8 posts, read 5,896 times
I'm curious. Why would you consider it a minus, living next to a cemetery? Is it a "creepiness" factor? I suppose you can have strangers trooping around nearby to leave flowers and pay respects. All this has been given some thought.

Pros and Cons of Living by a Cemetery

One study suggested that the average price per square foot was higher, the closer you lived to a cemetery.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
As a 'commercial' development, the cemetery will have periods of heavy traffic from time to time, perhaps more often than one would wish after paying so much for a home

Old 07-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
As a 'commercial' development, the cemetery will have periods of heavy traffic from time to time, perhaps more often than one would wish after paying so much for a home
Memorial Day and Veteran's Day would be the "tourist" season plus the odd funeral here and there. That cemetery is mostly developed if I remember correctly so I'd say it would mostly be visitors.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 5,896 times
Interesting thing is, judging by the pictures, the "wall of windows" was specifically put in so you could have a colossal view of the cemetery (from both upstairs and downstairs!). So you just don't live next door to it. It's a part of your life when you're living there. You have breakfast, lunch, and dinner looking out on headstones, and you're enjoying your living room time looking out at the same headstones. That's a novel architectural strategy.

FWIW, 1604 Navasota is across the street from the cemetery.

I guess for folks who live on a golf course, golf is part of their lives. I guess for folks who live next to a forest, the forest is part of their lives in the same way. Of course, "golf" means recreation, and a "forest" can mean nature. "Cemetery" could just mean death or mourning. If you're going to make something part of your life, make sure it means something to you that you like to live with. Now, it could also mean rest, and or peace.

To me, living next to a forever quiet green field would be nice. Living with a view of headstones, maybe not so much.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Windows....

Drapes, window tint, and of course, outside shutters. Pick one.

Jim B.
Those windows don't look tinted. I investigated tinting all of my windows (also replacing them) and it was north of $25K for my house. I opted not to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin