Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:26 PM

8 posts, read 5,918 times

Advertisements

Thank you SergeL. I think that nails it.

Yes, I completely agree that "sharing the road" is the right approach, for both drivers and bicyclists. I am both, so I know how it should work. But this guy was just LIVID that I was asking him to please move aside to let me pass. He wasn't going to let me do it. He wanted to share the road, but at his speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 11:12 PM

420 posts, read 403,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougTX View Post
Thank you SergeL. I think that nails it.

Yes, I completely agree that "sharing the road" is the right approach, for both drivers and bicyclists. I am both, so I know how it should work. But this guy was just LIVID that I was asking him to please move aside to let me pass. He wasn't going to let me do it. He wanted to share the road, but at his speed.
Y'all obviously need to read that again.

4A says that he didn't need to move over. As did 4 B

Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 PM

182 posts, read 694,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
Y'all obviously need to read that again.

4A says that he didn't need to move over. As did 4 B
That was exactly my point..

Old 07-02-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeL View Post
See (4)A and (4)B

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 551. OPERATION OF BICYCLES, MOPEDS, AND PLAY VEHICLES

551.103. Operation on Roadway

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, unless:

(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:

(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane; or

(B) too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side.

Not sure I understand your point. This bicyclist was NOT in an outside lane. There were no marked lanes. There is one lane. The road was certainly wide enough for the bicyclist and motor vehicle to travel side-by-side. The street as a whole is wider than 14 feet.

That means that the bicyclist should have moved so as to be riding as near as practicable to the right curb. He would not do so.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Not sure I understand your point. This bicyclist was NOT in an outside lane. There were no marked lanes. There is one lane. The road was certainly wide enough for the bicyclist and motor vehicle to travel side-by-side. The street as a whole is wider than 14 feet.

That means that the bicyclist should have moved so as to be riding as near as practicable to the right curb. He would not do so.
If there's only one lane in each direction. That is the outside lane.

You cannot presume to cross the median line to make it 14'.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
If there's only one lane in each direction. That is the outside lane.
Let me rephrase. This is a minor residential street. There are NO LINES in the road. There is ONE LANE. That's the whole road. If you want to call the whole road the "outside lane" that's fine with me. But it's wider than 14 feet.

When I'm driving on the street, and approach a car coming in the other direction, both us us have to ride as near as possible to the edge of the roadway.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Let me rephrase. This is a minor residential street. There are NO LINES in the road. There is ONE LANE. That's the whole road. If you want to call the whole road the "outside lane" that's fine with me. But it's wider than 14 feet.

When I'm driving on the street, and approach a car coming in the other direction, both us us have to ride as near as possible to the edge of the roadway.
Unless it's a one way road, there's a lane in each direction.

Why didn't you just pass him on the other side if it was so innocuous? You act like revving your engine behind a cyclist is acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin