Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:27 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Eh, has far back as 1985 or so, I seem to remember parking NOT being easy. I walked/biked a lot more back then, ofc .
I used to go down to the warehouse district ALL THE TIME and pull right into that parking garage there that was free on weekends. Around 6th street we'd just pull up a side street. It was a piece of cake- so I'm not sure what you are talking about. And this was the late 90s, early 2000s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
"Warehouse district" used to be called "Guy Town" up until WWI - when the city cracked down on all the sporting houses & hooker cribs. Guess there were plenty of hitching posts on all the streets then.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 AM

20 posts, read 15,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I just tell them to visit in August, it is the BEST month in Austin.....
What I always found funny is how people always expect to feel relief from the heat in September. Try October . . .

Old 07-18-2017, 08:00 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnumbers View Post
What I always found funny is how people always expect to feel relief from the heat in September. Try October . . .
And even that's a crapshoot! One of the worst sunburns I ever got was at the UT-A&M game in late November at DKR. Lawdy it was hot. They were carrying people out that day.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:39 PM

85 posts, read 129,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The only things I find distressing about Austin's phenomenal growth are traffic, poor performing schools, gang violence, crowding at parks, homeless mecca, and higher costs for housing (property taxes).
Oh, you mean Democrats are in charge! You could have spared all those words.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:02 PM

436 posts, read 570,585 times
At risk? Man that ship has sailed.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricninja View Post
Oh, you mean Democrats are in charge! You could have spared all those words.
Does EVERYTHING have to have partisan politics dragged into it. I mean, I know there are people who are addicted to that, but it sure would be nice not to have to deal with the predictable lame unrelated comments from either side.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:32 AM

24 posts, read 19,057 times
Austin used to be full of authentic original people. Now it's full of plastic people doing their best to act like the original Austinites. Everything is a shadow of what it once was. Events that used to be free or donation only, are now huge corporate events full of alcohol sales and bag checks at the gate. Austin is an amusement park designed after the original Austin. Except it's just a mirage for the drunk bored people here to waste all their money on.

Keep Austin weird is now keep Austin drunk and entertained...

Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rachel View Post
Austin used to be full of authentic original people. Now it's full of plastic people doing their best to act like the original Austinites. Everything is a shadow of what it once was. Events that used to be free or donation only, are now huge corporate events full of alcohol sales and bag checks at the gate. Austin is an amusement park designed after the original Austin. Except it's just a mirage for the drunk bored people here to waste all their money on.

Lol! You nailed it

Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512Rachel View Post

Yep, pretty much. As usual, what is left of weird Austin has gone into hiding someplace completely unexpected and it's up to those of us who lived it and love it to find it. I've had to do that several times over the decades, and it's getting harder and harder to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin