Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,798,514 times

Advertisements

This article goes in depth about some of the various issues facing Austin and how the very thing that Austin has capitalized it's whole point of being is slowly being erased.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...P=share_btn_tw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM

5,688 posts, read 4,600,129 times
Very interesting read. Too many places are selling their souls to developers who then want to change what makes the the place so special.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 PM

997 posts, read 1,304,840 times
Many valid points. Was this a problem in the 80s and 90s too?

Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 PM

240 posts, read 270,495 times
There are always going to be issues that have to be addressed, but music doesn't really seem like it is going anywhere.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 AM

12,884 posts, read 13,190,394 times
meh

The overblown hype is just wearing thin. Music isn't the only thing this town is about, which may be a surprise to the slackers & their millennial successors. It was a special place before the '60s.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-3 View Post
Many valid points. Was this a problem in the 80s and 90s too?
It seems everyone thinks that the peak was when they first moved here. So, if you moved here in 1960, that was the peak. If you moved here in 1980 or 1990, that was the peak.

I would have to say, trying to be neutral here, that when I first visited in 1996 with a friend from college, that was, arguably, the peak. It was a funky, unique town full of slackers.

I would say during the 2007 housing crisis, we got a lot of people that moved to Texas because energy was still doing well. They mainly moved to Houston but they have worked their way to Austin from there. Lately East Coast elites are finding that this city is probably the best in the South and so if they favor warm weather sometimes are choosing here over Florida where the economy is pure tourism based. West Coast liberals find Austin to be the only city in Texas they can stomach politically so we get a large influx there.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:56 AM

15,242 posts, read 35,454,892 times
Music was never what 'made' Austin for me - I liked the 'laid back' vibe and the easy/cheap availability of outdoor entertainment - Zilker, Green Belt, Lake Travis, public parks, etc. That is changing, but I think that is normal as a city grows, for better or worse. Anyway, the number of people per 'attraction' has just gotten so high. I have a hard time enjoying the hike-n-bike trail or green belt due to the massive crowds .

Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,051,524 times
Austin is at its peak now and keeps getting better. I like it a lot better now than when I got here ( I loved it then too).

More and better restaurants, expanding bike trails, cool things like nland surf park, more and bigger festivals, more and better farmer's markets, more and better job opportunities etc.

The one downside is some amenities like parks are fixed in size, so are becoming over populated/over used

Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Austin is at its peak now and keeps getting better. I like it a lot better now than when I got here ( I loved it then too).

More and better restaurants, expanding bike trails, cool things like nland surf park, more and bigger festivals, more and better farmer's markets, more and better job opportunities etc.

The one downside is some amenities like parks are fixed in size, so are becoming over populated/over used
Let me ask you, for you is NYC the best city in the world?

If you answer yes then of course you'd like the way Austin is going.

If you ask me I'd say firmly no.

I prefer a city that is mid-range that offers parks and recreation opportunities that aren't overly crowded and a decent mix of restaurants. I don't need a surf park or every cuisine under the sun. I just prefer a few cuisines that the city can nail.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:28 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,914,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Music was never what 'made' Austin for me - I liked the 'laid back' vibe and the easy/cheap availability of outdoor entertainment - Zilker, Green Belt, Lake Travis, public parks, etc. That is changing, but I think that is normal as a city grows, for better or worse. Anyway, the number of people per 'attraction' has just gotten so high. I have a hard time enjoying the hike-n-bike trail or green belt due to the massive crowds .
Ditto. I could have cared less about the music. I liked being able to go downtown, find easy parking- or going to Barton Springs or Zilker and not having it too crowded. Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin