Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM

474 posts, read 406,069 times

Advertisements

I always say please and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 12:56 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
CA transplant living in Houston.

People dont change just because they move to a different state. Thats all there is to it.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
We have a lot of Cali transplants in our neighborhood. They seem to start every conversation with, "In California we...."

Old 08-11-2017, 02:18 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
We have a lot of Cali transplants in our neighborhood. They seem to start every conversation with, "In California we...."
Right. Just more prejudice and name calling. I NEVER started any statement with that when I lived in TX - not even when talking to a fellow Californian.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
Austin particularly (and other cities too)...if you are coming here from CA, fine, but please do not try to Californicate my state.
What if I'm a Red Hot Chili Peppers fan?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Only CA has Prop 13!!! Most of my co-workers from CA, retained their CA props and thus their Prop 13 benefit. They are now retired GOLDEN! (often under $1000/ yr taxes on $2m CA homes)
Was not my plan but turned out to be what I did...

Anyone getting an 80% increase in Property Tax has to find it sobering.... at least I sure did and it made me reevaluate the wisdom of cutting California ties...

Washington is now $1000 a month... California is $250 a month... who would have thought

Old 08-11-2017, 03:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
This afternoon, travelling NW bound Highway 71 by the Hill Country Galleria, I witnessed an F150 truck with Texas plates followed by a Toyota Camry with California plates blatantly turned left thru a solid red light that had been red for 2, maybe 3, possibly 4, but no more than 5 or 6 seconds into the entrance shopping center parking lot..

My guess what happened is the driver of theToyota couldn't see the red light because the height of the F150 truck blocked the view of the red light, which I suppose means the Toyota with California plates was following too close for comfort behind the Ford F150 with Texas plates. The law calls it tailgating and tailgating another vehicle is a traffic violation.

Fortunately there was no wreck.
You're positive that car with California plates wasn't a rental?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
One wonders at the people that are defending moving to one place and trying to turn it into where it came from, whether that be California to Texas or even Texas to California (though, oddly enough, I've never heard of the latter, or anyone trying to turn California into Colorado or Oregon or Washington State or any of the other states where this issue pops up, while I have heard the reverse often).

Never have understood that impulse, myself - it's like the citiots who move from the city to the country and then complain because the country isn't the city and try to turn it into the city. Why move at all if you don't want something different from where you were. And if it's for a job, stop a moment and consider just why it is that the job is not available in the place you find so perfect and IS available in the place you want to turn into a copy of the place you moved from and what that might say about the wisdom of doing that.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Interestingly enough, when I taught in Austin back in the early 2000's, I had one year where nearly half my class was born in California.

That's the interesting thing about high transplant states like California and Texas. You get people who move in and within a few months/years start to offer advice to natives about why this new state should be more like (in some ways) their old state. I'm certainly guilty of that here. I've brought up some of the things I miss about Texas and thought California should change. It's a form of home-sickness probably. But eventually I stopped and now I am used to things here.

Since the OP offers no specifics on what he/she means by Californicating Texas, it's a little hard to pin down what this means from that perspective. I'd assume it's the stereotypes of high housing cost, traffic, and "liberal policies." Austin is a growing and dynamic city and it will go where it's citizens feel it should.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Right. Just more prejudice and name calling. I NEVER started any statement with that when I lived in TX - not even when talking to a fellow Californian.
Well garsh, that's absolute evidence isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin