Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:37 PM

691 posts, read 419,993 times

Advertisements

ew.. calif.. not worth sayin XD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Don't know what the OP means, but what I mean is when people come into a new area and try to make it just like where they came from, ignoring or denigrating and trying to change the culture, the politics, the customs, and everything else about it to make it just like where they came from (even if they are escaping the consequences of what where they came from was like, it sometimes seems). What on earth is the point in moving from one place to another if you're going to try to make everywhere just alike? Why not enjoy the differences? (I know, there are people who have to pee on everything to make it "theirs", and maybe that's what's being described.) See my comment above regarding citiots that move to the country and try to do the same thing.
I live in Texas . My entire block of neighbors are Californian . A lot of Texans hate them because they are constantly moving to Texas . They drive up the cost of real estate exactly like they did in Las Vegas . I was going against 20 people at times when I bought my house in Texas . Some houses you would lose because Californians will pay cash . The original native of the city also get taxes out .Then they vote liberal.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Texas is huge. It's larger than most countries.

Austin is like 0.001% of Texas. There is plenty of it for everybody.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:50 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
I've met a lot of Californians in Austin over the years. I can think of maybe one or two who were actually California natives and grew up there. All the others were originally from somewhere else (typically the Midwest) and lived in California for awhile before leaving to move here.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
It's funny because some with ties to California are almost apologetic when saying they now live in Texas and have to quickly explain they live in Austin which "Really" isn't Texas... which is humorous because Austin IS the capital of Texas!

Old 08-14-2017, 07:50 PM

19 posts, read 15,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
My entire block of neighbors are Californian . A lot of Texans hate them because they are constantly moving to Texas ...Then they vote liberal.
Well there is your problem. Not enough people vote liberal. You can thank former Governor Goodhair for enticing businesses to relocate to Texas by undercutting other states with cheap taxes and for not spending enough money on education to provide a decent workforce for those companies. Sooner or later you'll be taken over completely by Liberals and you won't have this problem anymore.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:53 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
The Texas public school K-12 system ranks ahead of California's, last I heard.

California's public university system is the highest ranked in the world.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
The Texas public school K-12 system ranks ahead of California's, last I heard.

California's public university system is the highest ranked in the world.
Yin and the yang I guess. They're good at one thing, we're good at another...

Old 08-15-2017, 08:29 PM

79 posts, read 80,660 times
OP, what do you mean by "Californicate?" Can you be specific? You have me curious now!

Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Interestingly enough, when I taught in Austin back in the early 2000's, I had one year where nearly half my class was born in California.

That's the interesting thing about high transplant states like California and Texas. You get people who move in and within a few months/years start to offer advice to natives about why this new state should be more like (in some ways) their old state. I'm certainly guilty of that here. I've brought up some of the things I miss about Texas and thought California should change. It's a form of home-sickness probably. But eventually I stopped and now I am used to things here.

Since the OP offers no specifics on what he/she means by Californicating Texas, it's a little hard to pin down what this means from that perspective. I'd assume it's the stereotypes of high housing cost, traffic, and "liberal policies." Austin is a growing and dynamic city and it will go where it's citizens feel it should.
It's kinda like when some people start a new job. After working at a job for a month or two, some people act they been working at the company for ever and they know just as much as somebody who has been there for 40 years.

Usually, these people are "A" type personalities. After the novelty of being the "new" person wears thin, they dont like having the "new" label stuck on them for too long. "New in town", "new at the job", etc. They want to seem "experienced".

These people can be very annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin