Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM

202 posts, read 352,598 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!!

I'm having trouble finding a job in Austin (i just relocated here) (but don't worry haha, we came for my husbands job so he's at least working)...but I am a recent college graduate, with a bachelors in Sociology-Criminology. I have applied to nearly 50 jobs over the span of the past month, and have not heard a thing. I have been applying for entry level government jobs, entry level legal jobs, (criminal justice or government is what I'm mostly interested in) entry level administrative jobs (although I have found that nearly all of these admin jobs want people with at least 2 years of admin experience. I don't have that, but I am highly proficient in office related tasks, computer programs, and I am very organized-admin stuff is what I'm good at). I'm just getting frustrated.

I 10000% recognize that I am not any more special or unique than all of the other recent grads who are trying to find a job, but what gives? I am applying for things that I feel like I am definitely qualified for, not things that are out of my reach...and I put a lot of effort into my resumes/cover letters. Should I lower reach and just get the first entry level job I can find??? I scour websites all day and try to apply as soon as I see a position open. Anyways, an advice about landing a decent job in Austin would be truly appreciated.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 05:42 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Unfortunately, you missed the wave of hiring at the Department of Family and Protective Services. They hire a lot of people out of college. You can still try applying at the HHSC website. I don't know how they're going to run the application process once DFPS becomes an independent agency separate from Health and Human Services.

A month is really not a long time to be searching for a job, especially as a new graduate. I don't know if this is still true, but it took the average new graduate 6-9 months to find a job a few years ago. I've been working in the criminal justice/social service field for a decade. Sometimes, you have to start at jobs that don't require a degree such as corrections, security, or dispatch. I recommend dispatch and corrections over security since most security jobs are with low-paying, private companies that offer terrible benefits.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM

202 posts, read 352,598 times
Ugh that is too bad Because I definitely applied for about 5 jobs at the DFPS because I love helping children....ugh...

Old 08-15-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiev111 View Post
Ugh that is too bad Because I definitely applied for about 5 jobs at the DFPS because I love helping children....ugh...
DFPS also has Statewide Intake positions that require a degree, but no experience. However, with the deep budget cuts, they aren't going to be hiring much for the next two years. I'll give you some more tips later when I have time.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:55 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
Have you looked in Lakeway and Cedar Park at the hospitals and clinics there? Sometimes it seems like there is less competition than metro Austin?? How about assisted living and nursing homes? How about the University Police at UT, ACC, St. Edwards? Lifeworks or other non-profits that help kids?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:00 PM

Well, there are several police departments in the area that will sponsor you through a police academy. Most will not sponsor you, however. You'll have to pay your own way. ACC and St. Edward's almost never sponsor. Leander will sponsor you after you're already in the academy. Pflugerville won't let you apply as a cadet until you're 60 days away from graduating, but by the time you go through the hiring process, you will already be graduating. There is the possibility of going through the police academy for free if you start out in corrections at Travis and Hays. I think Williamson might also sponsor you after working as a corrections officer.

Most of the very small towns rarely have anything worth applying to outside of dispatch and police, and you'll need to already have your peace officer's license. I would focus on more populous cities such as Round Rock, Georgetown, San Marcos, and Cedar Park. Sometimes, Leander has some decent positions.

You can register to become a substance abuse counselor intern. Austin Travis County Integral Care hires a lot of them, but they get so many applications, it's highly competitive.

You're probably already checking GovernmentJobs.com everyday. If you're not, you should. TDCJ, TJJD, TDI, and several other state agencies don't use GovernmentJobs.com, so you should go directly to their websites. Most of them will post on WorkinTexas.com, though. Governmentjobs.com and WorkinTexas make it easier to apply for multiple positions with various agencies because you'll only need to fill out an application once.

Last edited by L210; 08-15-2017 at 08:09 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Look into some non-profit job boards like Mission Capital, TANO and TXNP. Look into non-profits in the area that deal with at risk youth and past offenders. It took me about 6 months to get a job while looking San Antonio and then after I jumped on it to get up here it wasn't the right fit. I applied for nearly 60+ jobs in a week (basically anything that fit within my degree) and landed two interviews. Of those two I was offered one (actually kind of a God thing as i had declined an interview for the position right as I was accepting the previous position). After getting that job I was also offered a PRN position. I applied for that position while unemployed and did not get a call. Anyway. Grab something, anything, and then continue to look. I think employers here really like it when you've already got a job here, versus looking to relocate, recently located, etc. Probably not the advice you're looking for but my experience.

Also look into volunteering, it will keep you busy and get you in the door at a particular place you may want to be.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
It can take a long time to find an entry job in Austin, 3-4 weeks is nothing. You will have to just keep plugging away. I know that isn't what you want to hear, give it 6 months before you despair.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 PM

186 posts, read 125,626 times
Is your resume professionally done? Do you have work experience? If your resume doesn't look the part, you may want to seek out help to perfect it. Also know that you need change your resume every time you apply online to a particular job so that it matches. For example if you're applying to administrative jobs, your resume should say "administrative" in bold at the top to let the recruiter or hiring manager know that you work or seek to work in that field and the experience should match as such.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:21 AM

19 posts, read 15,867 times
Do a search of "launch pad job club austin". They have weekly networking meetings with some excellent speakers, resume critiques, interview practice and Saturday September 16 they're having a job fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin