Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 PM

101 posts, read 383,580 times

Advertisements

Hello lovely forum people.

As a recent(ish) arrival from the UK, and having become a tad fitter since arriving in Austin, I thought it might be fun to dust off the old football (soccer) boots and join a rec.team. Actually I'd need to buy some football boots its been that long!

I'm not looking for anything serious as, quite frankly, I was only ever a very average player and even that was a long, long time ago. I'm not hopeful of finding the classic pub team where the odd diversion to the touchline for a glug of beer is encouraged , but I am looking for somewhere to have a laugh and a run out every now & then. I guess I fit into the (gulp) seniors section being oh so slightly the wrong side of 40.

Anyone have a recommendation for a team that might fit the bill? Oh, and anyone for cricket?

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:25 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,789 times
My BIL plays quite a bit for an adult rec team! I will get the info and reply again.
Welcome!
A

Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 AM

206 posts, read 1,310,827 times
first of all welcome.

we do play soccer (or, the real 'football' ) every saturday. The membership is very limited and i am not sure if i can invite any one. I'll check with some guys there and let you know.
And about cricket: there is Dell, there is IBM, NI, AMAT...and lot of South Asian folks working there. Go figure...! there is even leagues playing in Austin. I have friends playing there. Will get you some info on cricket as well.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:51 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
Lots of cricket played up here in Williamson county at the Greater Williamson park on 1431 on the weekends. I see them all the time when I am out there watching other sports so there might be a team website or something, check with the YMCA in your area they may have some leads also. Good luck

Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 AM

33 posts, read 160,422 times
Thanks to all of you for your replies. AGA and PV - I appreciate the time you might take to provide further info.

Neddy - I will be sure check out the cricket at Greater Williamson Park (I just found something on the mighty Interweb), in fact I might go and make some cucumber sandwiches and a pitcher of Pimms right now in preparation!

Posted in the wife's name by mistake!

Last edited by bitchen; 03-14-2008 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Posted in different name!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 AM
AGA

Well, I found this info such as it is...

Austin Men's League
Austin Co-Ed League
and the new indoor soccer on Slaughter and Manchaca (soccer zone) I think.

Sorry I dont have the links, but that should get you started!

Good Lick!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:51 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,814 times
try:
www.soccerenterprise.com or coed Austin Co-Ed Soccer Association

Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 AM

206 posts, read 1,310,827 times
And for cricket..
Central Texas Cricket League
or visit the forum
3rd Umpire.com :: View Forum - Austin Cricket League

Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 PM
AGA

Austin Men's League: http://www.austinsoccernet.com/
Austin Coed Soccer: http://www.acsasoccer.org/

These are some links you can try

Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 AM

15 posts, read 41,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south side chap View Post
Hello lovely forum people.

As a recent(ish) arrival from the UK, and having become a tad fitter since arriving in Austin, I thought it might be fun to dust off the old football (soccer) boots and join a rec.team. Actually I'd need to buy some football boots its been that long!

I'm not looking for anything serious as, quite frankly, I was only ever a very average player and even that was a long, long time ago. I'm not hopeful of finding the classic pub team where the odd diversion to the touchline for a glug of beer is encouraged , but I am looking for somewhere to have a laugh and a run out every now & then. I guess I fit into the (gulp) seniors section being oh so slightly the wrong side of 40.

Anyone have a recommendation for a team that might fit the bill? Oh, and anyone for cricket?

Many thanks in advance.
I wonder if you ever succeeded finding a team/league... I'm moving to Austin from Madrid, where I play every weekend with the seniors league (most of us over 40, but very fit). I can play 11-a-side, or 7-a-side or 5-a-side. Any suggestions? The link provided by AGA does not offer info on adult teams or leagues, and the one provided by Rose doesn´t exist anymore. I realize the original post is 3 years old (time flies).
Thanks for your help.
Rafa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin