Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM

25 posts, read 70,418 times

Advertisements

So we're in the market, and we love southwest Austin. Everyone keeps raving about Meridian, but I don't get it. It's so far away (feels like it takes FOREVER to get there from downtown), houses are very nice but so close together, yards are tiny, no close restaurants or grocery stores, shopping or entertainment. It's like moving to the country. except the houses are so tightly packed together that it's like getting the long drive through the country in order to get to a very crowded place with no yard and few trees.

I understand that it's got a nice swim center, but can someone help me to understand why everyone raves about it?

Also realtors on here say it's a good investment, but here's the thing: the U.S. economy is taking a hit right now with far-flung suburbs being the very first to fall victim to high amount of foreclosures. When the economy goes south, people won't want to live so far away from town, especially with no major employers down that way. People say that they will keep building houses further and further out and in a few years Meridian will seem close in, but I do not buy it, Meridian is a long haul..

Now, the reason I am even posting this is because I like the houses. Can anyone who lives there, or is familiar with it, explain what is so great about it? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,992,402 times
For Austin, Meridian isn't that far out. It has easier access to downtown that Cedar Park, Leander, Dripping Springs, etc. However, you do have to drive everywhere for everything. I would think though that if you are on the outskirts larger lots would be more desirable.

I personally don't trust a realtor that pushes a "good investment". Their interest is only to get you to buy a house and collect a check. Of course, there are some really great realtors out there who aren't like that but they're a minority and probably all of them are on this forum giving realistic advice.

I personally don't believe a home should be viewed as an investment. it is a place to sleep.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,416,451 times
The new HEB in Circle C is 5 miles from Meridian. Is that far, 5 miles? That's crazy. It is one of the best HEB's in Austin and has a Central Market feel. There are also many restaurants in here as well and it is built really nicely not like the sprawl in Round Rock and Cedar Park. 14 miles to the city is no biggie at all. Are you from some other city? Because if you live in the burbs of Chicago or Dallas, it's 25-30 miles to the city. Meridian is beautiful and a stones throw from the city. It's not far at all. If Austin ever suffers from the real estate bust, believe me, RR and CP will be hit far worse. I still can't believe you think 5 miles is far for groceries. That's funny!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
From downtown, yes it is far, but that is the definition of sprawl..subdivisions sprout up farther and farther from the city. When you move out the suburbs driving is a necessity.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:37 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,269,516 times
Depends on where you spend most of your time. If you work north of the river, you'll find communities just as nice North. If you work South, then I guess it's as good as any other suburban community South. For SW suburban neighborhoods, I prefer Travis Country, Circle C or Legend Oaks, I think they have a more 'established' feel, the landscaping is more mature and the lots are bigger (I think, at least they feel that way). But to each his own. I prefer to be in a smaller, older house and be closer in. Again, to each his own.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,416,451 times
A lot of parts of Circle C are further out than Meridian. I have a friend that lives in Circle C and she is 2 miles further to the city than Meridian. Also, of course Circle C is more established, it's been there for 20 years. Plus, Meridian has modern conveniences that you won't find in older homes in Circle C.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,269,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
A lot of parts of Circle C are further out than Meridian. I have a friend that lives in Circle C and she is 2 miles further to the city than Meridian. Also, of course Circle C is more established, it's been there for 20 years. Plus, Meridian has modern conveniences that you won't find in older homes in Circle C.
I'm not really into 'modern conveniences' so that's not a big deal. Really, my favorite is Travis Country.
ps...what are modern conveniences, anyway? Big closets? 3 car garages? I mean, I have a dishwasher, a microwave, 2 car garage, granite in the kitchen....what?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:17 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,999,279 times
I agree with the others. It may seem further but it's really not. If you turn right at Slaughter Ln. from Mopac toward Circle C, then left onto Escarpment, then on into the neighborhood and compare that to driving across Slaught from Mopac to Meridian, there can't me more than a few minutes difference.

But if you don't like it, check out other neighborhoods. Buying is always a comprimise between price, location and the house itself. People buy in neighborhoods like Meridian because they want a nicer new house within a community with amenities and good schools. When Circle C was built, it was way out in the sticks. Now it's considered close by most people.

It's all perception. Closer in means older or a lot more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin