Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:11 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Good way to avoid a ruckus

Quote:
University of Texas President Greg Fenves ordered the immediate removal of statues of Robert E. Lee and other prominent Confederate figures from a main area of campus, saying such monuments have become "symbols of modern white supremacy and neo-Nazism."

Fenves announced the move late Sunday night as crews were in place to begin taking the statues down. The school also blocked off the area during the process, and the statues are expected to be gone by mid-morning Monday, a spokesman said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/universit...053001847.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:13 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
I saw this last night and I am so happy! Those statues made me feel so unwelcome when I arrived at UT for grad school 25+ years ago.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I saw this last night and I am so happy! Those statues made me feel so unwelcome when I arrived at UT for grad school 25+ years ago.
I have to admit that I was not socially aware enough at 18 to really worry THAT much about them from a racial perspective and what impact they may have on an individual; however, it did seem odd to have a bunch of statues that (even then) seemed to symbolize slavery.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:52 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Gee, it only took them how many hundreds of years to realize they may have been a little racially insensitive? How progressive of them.

There's still a big, fat Confederate monument on the capitol grounds.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Gee, it only took them how many hundreds of years to realize they may have been a little racially insensitive? How progressive of them.
They were installed in 1933, so 0.84 hundreds of years?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I remember them well from when I started grad school there too 10 or so years ago. Glad to see UT finally saw the light. It was pretty odd to see them there given the school's progressive reputation.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
They were installed in 1933, so 0.84 hundreds of years?
Oh, I'm sorry. 84 years is much better.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. 84 years is much better.
Just trying to be more accurate.

There probably ARE some people that think that the confederate war statues have been around for several hundred years or more .

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,999 times
"Do you realize that the past, starting from yesterday, has been actually abolished? If it survives anywhere, it's in a few solid objects with no words attached to them, like that lump of glass there. Already we know almost literally nothing about the Revolution and the years before the Revolution. Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right. I know, of course, that the past is falsified, but it would never be possible for me to prove it, even when I did the falsification myself. After the thing is done, no evidence ever remains. The only evidence is inside my own mind, and I don't know with any certainty that any other human being shares my memories. Just in that one instance, in my whole life, I did possess actual concrete evidence after the event – years after it." - 1984 by George Orwell

The problem with abolishing history is that we lose it. A much better solution would have been to put up a plaque explaining the history, and adding context. Or better yet put statues of civil rights or even Union heroes near by to add context, to add conversation and balance.

However, we have become a society of babies where peoples feelings take precedent over history, over the conversation and over common sense.

History is not supposed to make you feel safe or comfortable, and if you remove it then you are not better than book burners. Orwell nailed it, and when the policial winds change again, and they will, I wonder what other parts of history we will lose.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITO View Post
"Do you realize that the past, starting from yesterday, has been actually abolished? If it survives anywhere, it's in a few solid objects with no words attached to them, like that lump of glass there. Already we know almost literally nothing about the Revolution and the years before the Revolution. Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right. I know, of course, that the past is falsified, but it would never be possible for me to prove it, even when I did the falsification myself. After the thing is done, no evidence ever remains. The only evidence is inside my own mind, and I don't know with any certainty that any other human being shares my memories. Just in that one instance, in my whole life, I did possess actual concrete evidence after the event – years after it." - 1984 by George Orwell

The problem with abolishing history is that we lose it. A much better solution would have been to put up a plaque explaining the history, and adding context. Or better yet put statues of civil rights or even Union heroes near by to add context, to add conversation and balance.

However, we have become a society of babies where peoples feelings take precedent over history, over the conversation and over common sense.

History is not supposed to make you feel safe or comfortable, and if you remove it then you are not better than book burners. Orwell nailed it, and when the policial winds change again, and they will, I wonder what other parts of history we will lose.
Thank you, I was just about to post that quote. Interesting who it is that it starting the process of bringing 1984 to fruition.

And, yes, once you have decided that certain citizens' rights and history can be jettisoned because they make you uncomfortable, you have decided that when, not if, the same comes for you, you can say nothing about it because you have made it quite clear it is fine and dandy to do.

I couldn't care less about the statues. I DO care about precedents set. And I have not been able to find anywhere in the Constitution a guarantee of the right not to be offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin