Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:47 AM

16 posts, read 11,506 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. We're moving to Austin in three weeks from Wisconsin and I'm looking at finding bike trails near our apartment. We are going to live at Barton Creek Landing, 2800 Bartons Bluff Lane.

I've read almost every post for the past 6 months on this forum and checked other websites as much as possible but I think some local knowledge would really help. It appears that the Barton Creek Greenbelt is on the other side of Barton Creek so we would not have easy access to that. I looked at the city of Austin Urban Trails Master Plan and on there it appears there is a Barton Corridor that we could access. It starts just south of where Hwy 360 and Mopac intersect and goes all the way to Zilker Park and the Colorado River. If this is a safe bike path that would be awesome. My wife and I would be pulling a chariot stroller with our daughter behind the bike so it would need to be a pretty safe path. Has anyone ever ridden this route and could you give me any details? Also, is there a path our apartment complex south and then east over Barton Creek to hook up with the Greenbelt?

Thanks to anyone in advance for the help. This forum has really helped give us so much info before our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 12:04 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,044,821 times
it is a trail! Not a bike path, not appropriate for a chariot stroller. It is for trail bikes and is steep in places, also heavy hiking traffic.

Also likely to be in poor shape after Harvey moves on -- whenever that may be!

Old 08-26-2017, 12:13 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,610,857 times
Start at zilker and go onto the town lake trail. That's much easier. t to dry out.But yes, wait for i

Old 08-26-2017, 12:16 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,066,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dogg59 View Post
Hello everyone. We're moving to Austin in three weeks from Wisconsin and I'm looking at finding bike trails near our apartment. We are going to live at Barton Creek Landing, 2800 Bartons Bluff Lane.

I've read almost every post for the past 6 months on this forum and checked other websites as much as possible but I think some local knowledge would really help. It appears that the Barton Creek Greenbelt is on the other side of Barton Creek so we would not have easy access to that. I looked at the city of Austin Urban Trails Master Plan and on there it appears there is a Barton Corridor that we could access. It starts just south of where Hwy 360 and Mopac intersect and goes all the way to Zilker Park and the Colorado River. If this is a safe bike path that would be awesome. My wife and I would be pulling a chariot stroller with our daughter behind the bike so it would need to be a pretty safe path. Has anyone ever ridden this route and could you give me any details? Also, is there a path our apartment complex south and then east over Barton Creek to hook up with the Greenbelt?

Thanks to anyone in advance for the help. This forum has really helped give us so much info before our move.
The trail partially runs on both sides of the creek. When the water is down it is a dry crossing. Your apartment looks like it could have direct access, otherwise I have put in at spyglass many times. It looks like the complexes off of via fortuna have an access and your street probably has an easy crossing through an apartment complex.

The trail is definitely on your side of the creek, but there is a crossing just to the west/southwest to walk on the other side. If the creek is up, the crossing will be flooded. Some of them are piles of baby heads. If you go east you can see it is a straight shot to zilker.

There are two types of trail, the main trail is fine for a stroller but can be rocky and rough. The side trails are mostly not suitable for a stroller. Google maps generally shows the main trail accurately.

The main trail runs from the hill of life to zilker park. So for example you can walk to zilker from your apartment.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:39 PM

550 posts, read 493,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The trail partially runs on both sides of the creek. When the water is down it is a dry crossing. Your apartment looks like it could have direct access, otherwise I have put in at spyglass many times. It looks like the complexes off of via fortuna have an access and your street probably has an easy crossing through an apartment complex.

The trail is definitely on your side of the creek, but there is a crossing just to the west/southwest to walk on the other side. If the creek is up, the crossing will be flooded. Some of them are piles of baby heads. If you go east you can see it is a straight shot to zilker.

There are two types of trail, the main trail is fine for a stroller but can be rocky and rough. The side trails are mostly not suitable for a stroller. Google maps generally shows the main trail accurately.

The main trail runs from the hill of life to zilker park. So for example you can walk to zilker from your apartment.
Huh?

Old 08-26-2017, 08:50 PM

535 posts, read 1,288,296 times
I've hiked all the hike and bike trails in that area and I can't think of any paved or bikable (comfortably with kids in tow) in that close proximity, but the one that does come to mind that you may want to explore is the Johnson Creek Greenbelt area. I know most of it is paved and very bikeable, and I don't think it's too far from where you will be.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 PM

16 posts, read 11,506 times
Thanks so much for all the responses. Doesn't sound to promising for taking the little one behind us. I love the idea of joining a bike group on Facebook or meetup. I'm a little old school and don't have an account either but may have to just for this. Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,968,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
Huh?
I believe "a big pile of rocks, where each of the stones are about the size of a baby's head".

I hope

Old 08-28-2017, 11:24 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,968,386 times
They just put in the mopac mobility bridges just SW of where you'll be. So I know it's intended that it be bikeable from there up to Zilker park along mopac.

MoPac Mobility Bridges | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

It's alongside the frontage roads, basically just a slightly wider sidewalk, so it wouldn't be the most pleasant experience as far as noise goes, but it should be safe as long as you watch for turning vehicles. It's flat and paved, so better than the trail in that respect.

Disclaimer, I haven't ridden along mopac in that stretch, but I have done similar along mopac north.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,066,419 times
I still think the main trail east of spyglass is rideable pulling a stroller. West might is rideable for significant portions. But if you can ride to zilker then you can ride the lady bird lake hike and bike. You might also be able to get on the violet crown trail and get to the south austin trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: