Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:57 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times

Advertisements

I’m all for embracing positive change, but knowing Amazon’s work culture and seeing how they’ve hollowed out Seattle, both literally and culturally, I’m glad they left both of my adopted home towns alone. I’m even a little bummed to know that Greenpoint, Bushwick, and Astoria will be unrecognizable soon given their proximity to Long Island City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 10:38 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,267,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The people who preach public transportation for work also seem to have desk jobs that don't need to leave the office for other meetings or don't work with people face to face. Home health providers, child protective services, school staff, direct sales, outreach and marketing, all these positions require driving from place to place and "flexible" hours which mean there are times when you could need to be at work or a client's home at like 7am or be out way past normal commuting hours. Public transportation isn't a fit for everyone, especially when routes stop at 6:30pm.

Amazon, Oracle, google, Homeaway, Indeed, all these may be okay fits for "public transportation" for most of their employees, but not everyone works at these types of places. There needs to be people to take care of those people chained to desks, their parents/grandparents and their kids. And public transportation doesn't do that, a car does.
It's called Uber.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
It's called Uber.
So, as a home visiting social worker (say for Any Baby Can because I know this is what they do) I should pay for an uber from my home in south Austin to a client in Lakeway to another client in Pflugerville to another in East Austin? Along with all my supplies? That sounds feasible when my employer pays a .56/mile reimbursement? Sounds like a grand idea to me. Both financially and time wise.

But now this isn't about Amazon anymore it's about the commuter/public transport system.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:22 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I’m all for embracing positive change, but knowing Amazon’s work culture and seeing how they’ve hollowed out Seattle, both literally and culturally, I’m glad they left both of my adopted home towns alone. I’m even a little bummed to know that Greenpoint, Bushwick, and Astoria will be unrecognizable soon given their proximity to Long Island City.

Yes, I agree. Amazon's work culture and Austin are not a good fit. I know several Whole Foods employees who are struggling with the change.

Pulbic Transport was a key part of Amazon's criteria. Austin definitely falls short.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:57 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Amazon is a modern day sweatshop. NY & DC can have them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGdMbI6ZCTY

Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
So, as a home visiting social worker (say for Any Baby Can because I know this is what they do) I should pay for an uber from my home in south Austin to a client in Lakeway to another client in Pflugerville to another in East Austin? Along with all my supplies? That sounds feasible when my employer pays a .56/mile reimbursement? Sounds like a grand idea to me. Both financially and time wise.

But now this isn't about Amazon anymore it's about the commuter/public transport system.
long term there will be public transit that will be uber style. It will take you point to point and probably use shuttles. Things like chariot are testing right now.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:31 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
LOL Astoria has already changed from what I knew years ago.

Bushwick, though gentrifying (I guess) is still hood. The monolithic public housing isn't going anywhere and it's not that close to any "happening" area.

Greenpoint I believe is in firm control of the Hassidim. Don't see that changing either.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:43 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL Astoria has already changed from what I knew years ago.

Bushwick, though gentrifying (I guess) is still hood. The monolithic public housing isn't going anywhere and it's not that close to any "happening" area.

Greenpoint I believe is in firm control of the Hassidim. Don't see that changing either.
You’ll be surprised how Bushwick has changed, even by the Myrtle Ave JMZ subway stop. Luxury Apts right across from the projects.
Greenpoint has already gentrified. It’s basically an extension of Hipster Williamsburg. It was primarily a Puerto Rican and Polish neighborhood 15 years ago. The Hasidics are in South Williamsburg, not Greenpoint.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:08 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Public transportation isn't a fit for everyone, especially when routes stop at 6:30pm.
You might want to get out of Austin and visit other American cities. In Chicago and New York, 6:30pm is too early to end the day's bus/train schedule.

While in Chicago, I was amazed that Metra suburban commuter rail ran every 2 hours on the weekends. The Metro North line in the northern NYC suburbs does not end service until just after midnight.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:13 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You might want to get out of Austin and visit other American cities. In Chicago and New York, 6:30pm is too early to end the day's bus/train schedule.

While in Chicago, I was amazed that Metra suburban commuter rail ran every 2 hours on the weekends. The Metro North line in the northern NYC suburbs does not end service until just after midnight.
I still don't think many jobs would be conducive to public transportation. And yes, Austin public transportation has lots of room for improvement, never said it was good.

If the hip, cool vibe and access to a young talent pool were the only things Amazon was looking for then we'd be a good fit. If all that plus public transportation were a prerequisite, Austin is not the right fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin